Skoda

Soldato
OP
Really nice example of a VRS you have there Phil W. I'm in the market for one of these now. I have a little one on the way and the VRS seems a great compromise for practicality and being able to have a little bit of performance under the right foot :)

It's brilliant. I've got two kids (7 and 2) and there is more than enough room. It's reasonably economical on a steady run (35+mpg) and enough fun to want to keep it when you drive a little enthusiastically.

I had a Mondeo TDCI before this and while it was a little better in terms of space (cabin and boot), economy and looked a tad nicer, the Octavia wins hands down!

Problem with them now is they are cheap, you see lots of them about owned by the wrong sorts of people, the ones to buy are slightly higher priced but better looked after.

Associate
Problem with them now is they are cheap, you see lots of them about owned by the wrong sorts of people, the ones to buy are slightly higher priced but better looked after.

The boot on these do look to be very impressive and being a hatchback has the space advantage over say a saloon.

With regards to price of them what would you say the market value would be for a decent one? I see they vary from £1500 all the way to 5k. I was looking to spend around 3k going to 3.5k if required for a excellent condition one. Would that price bracket get me a decent example?

Last edited:
Soldato

Amen to that.

I'd say that £3k+ will get you a nice one. That said if I was to sell my one it would be nearer £2k but that has been self serviced for the last 30k and has 108k on the clock.

Soldato
OP
Mine was a tad over £3.5k and worth every penny IMHO, the paint work is really good, it has lots of receipts and a full service history, it ticked all the boxes for me when I viewed it (Interior was immaculate too which was important because most of it is white!)

These turned up today, have had positive reviews on briskoda, hopefully going to get them fitted next week!

33a0381e.jpg

8323a9f2.jpg

Associate
These turned up today, have had positive reviews on briskoda, hopefully going to get them fitted next week!

How much was the kit if you don't mind me asking? I would certainly fit one myself if i got a VRS as the other half would be driving it aswell :D

Certainly interested to see how the kit turns out and how you find it.

Associate
I've got the parking dynamics one on mine as it's too daunting to drill holes in my bumper and quite difficult to get the colour to match as mine is yellow.

I think they got mixed review but I went for it anyway. It's way too sensitive especially with things like kerb / if you are on a slope etc, but never fail to detect anything which is good. It's so difficult to see out of the back of one of these I think sensor is a must.

Soldato
OP
How much was the kit if you don't mind me asking? I would certainly fit one myself if i got a VRS as the other half would be driving it aswell :D

Certainly interested to see how the kit turns out and how you find it.

£13 on eBay, recommended by the guys on briskoda so tried & tested. I'm impressed with the colour match and installation seems simple enough (2 wires), drilling the holes is the most daunting part!!

Soldato
OP
Naaaah :p That's what the spoiler is for, a marker for where the car ends... give or take a few inches :D

That said for £13 I would get some if I was confident in drilling my bumper.

A guy on briskoda has listed all the measurements so it can't be that difficult. A lot of people have bought matt black ones and fitted them to their rear bump strip, that way if they **** it up is not as costly to replace!

Soldato
OP
Hard (and most scary, ever!) part done. Need to get a couple of clips, cable ties and connectors to finish off the wiring. Looks very simple to finish off!

564e1898.jpg

:)

Associate
Great work on the parking sensors. Colour match looks great! I bet it was horrible drilling into the bumper though!

My hunt for a VRS begins towards the end of the month. Its going to be either a Red on or a Silver one i think.

Soldato
OP
Great work on the parking sensors. Colour match looks great! I bet it was horrible drilling into the bumper though!

It was very much a cacky-pant moment, it was either going to be right or wrong! I measured up 2 or 3 times to make sure and bit the bullet. The hole-saw but is included and made a nice, clean hole!

Take your time when viewing, don't buy the first one you see and don't be sold if/just because it has a remap or something.

Associate
To be honest, i want to buy a car that is completly standard. If it had a forge intercooler like yours then that would a good mod but other than that, re-maps and CAI's i'm not really interested in. I'm looking for a standard car with a good service history thats in good condition.

I can always go down the mod route at a later date and know what i'm changing on the car.

Soldato
OP
Finished off the sensors today...

Insulated the 4 wires from the sensors and led them to the rear light area...

1f410a67.jpg

Put the buzzer in, I was worried you couldn't hear it but it's plenty loud enough!

2860155a.jpg

And then mounted the control box. It sits on a lip and underneath is an empty space so I used that to stow away the excess cables...

a89fce46.jpg

All in all im very impressed for £13.99. When you engage reverse you get a beep to tell you the sensors are activated. It them beeps faster and faster the closer you get to the object behind you. It is quite 'safe', the solid "Stop NOW" beep leaves you with around 2.5" of space behind you!

:)

Soldato
OP
Another update. Purchased this last week on eBay...

0fcfec39.jpg

I've been biding my time since i bought my Cat-Back for a Downpipe/Hi-Flow Cat to come up second hand. I couldn't justfy spending £400 odd one one however a lot have said that the Downpipe is one of the biggest bhp-related restrictions when going for a remap. With this in mine when this Milltek one came up we struck a deal and here it is.

The difference between this and stock is quite shocking...

dscn1642om.jpg

Will hopefully make a considerable difference. Will be fitted once i get a new gasket and nuts.

Back
Top Bottom