Skoda

Soldato
OP
Will have to have an ask about on Briskoda.

My other option is to get a stage 1, gradually fit the bits required for stage 2 and then get the stage 2 upgrade from the same tuner (R-Tech for example).

Its all a bit confusing at the moment, i definately want a remap, just don't know how far i want to take it. Theres a lot more to it than with previous cars i've owned (never really had any desire to tune those either except for the usual exhaust etc!).

Associate
Thanks for all the advice from the other thread, I am going to be collecting my Mk1 VRS in "faded banana yellow" on Saturday when I get back from my business trip.

See thread:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18358699&highlight=skoda

The problem with picking a new car up straight after coming back from a long business trip is that I have been spending the past week + the boring weekend away looking at what I can do to the car.

It seems like most of the mods that I want to do can be achieved by fitting parts from different cars in the VAG group. I mean by fitting other VAG parts, technically, I am only fitting replacement parts made by the original manufacturer. If I am to do them, does it class as a modification from an insurance point of view?

I want to do a few suspension mods to start with because I firmly believe that the engine should not be touched before the handling is sorted.

I plan to do the mods when I give it its first service which will be in a few months time. I am hoping to do the RARB and the dogbone mount to start off with. The question is do I need to declare these with the insurer?

My ultimate goal is to change the whole front end to a R32/TT setup as and when the parts get worn. Then finally do a remap. Is there any other obvious mods that I should be doing in between?

Soldato
OK, completely ignore this if you will but in my honest opinion the Octavia vRS's number one strength is its combination of practicality and performance at a low price. Throwing loads of money at it to try and make it anything beyond that is counter productive.

With that in mind I'd suggest... a rear anti roll bar and a remap, nothing else. In fact if you plan on keeping it for any length of time I'd leave it for a year before getting the remap done, it has plenty of grunt to get you going and will actually feel like an improvement when you get it done. RARB I would probably do straight away with hindsight as there is nothing to be gained from driving around with a huge bias towards understeer :p

Soldato
It seems like most of the mods that I want to do can be achieved by fitting parts from different cars in the VAG group. I mean by fitting other VAG parts, technically, I am only fitting replacement parts made by the original manufacturer. If I am to do them, does it class as a modification from an insurance point of view?

Quite possibly, ask your insurer. A lot will ask for you to declare factory options, so will almost certainly class adding non standard (to your model) parts as mods.

Soldato
Bought an Octavia vRS and picked it up on Friday, pretty happy with it :)

002.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I think I will ask my insurance company just in case.

I will probably just stick with the RARB and the dogbone mount for now. I won't be touching it unless something needs replacing. Definitely don't want to do a remap straight away. I think I need to get used to the car before changing it.

Which anti roll bars would you go for? They recommend 23mm R32 on front and 25mm eibach on the rear.

I don't want the ride quality to suffer and I am thinking about the 22 or 24mm whiteline. Which ones did you go for?

Soldato
OP
Liverpool-Lad, pop me a message across on briskoda, i've tried messaging you but it won't send.. got something for you regarding that FK Exhaust System as well...

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21091294 said:
Well assuming its a proper vRS not the diesel one :p

Yeah, what's the deal with that? The first time I saw a Mk2 VRS a couple of years ago, it was a dag dag :(

WTF are Skoda playing at sticking a diesel engine in a car with a VRS badge? (I'm talking purely Octavia here, I know about the Fabia :p)

Back
Top Bottom