Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
23sakwl.jpg

Now this is new :D Never had this since it was installed 2 years ago, something must be working right at this moment in time. The speed has been increasing over the past week up to 36mbps so seeing this is a nice suprise, ping has also reduced to below 20ms.

Soldato
Perfectly happy with my Q Hub. Wifi throughout the house and no issues.
Same here, I had a 3rd party router Asus I think it was in my last house (3 bed) but since having SkyQ installed in our new place it covers all rooms and even the annex next door for the in-laws, its a large bungalow with thick
walls so I'm impressed, stable connection too

Stu

Stu

Soldato
After threatening to leave, I've just been offered £71.40 per month (18 month contract) for Box set bundle + Sports + Movies, phone and Fibre unlimited (free Q hub and fibre activation). The broadband part is £18.99 for line rental plus £6.01 for Fibre... seems to be standard regarding the broadband price.

Would this be considered a good deal overall? Seriously considering the jump to Virgin... much cheaper looking at their Full House plus Sky Movies at £62, or even sacking off Movies and getting Full House for only £46 (includes BT Sport, so rugby is covered :D ). My only real concern is lag issues with the Virgin SH3.

Thoughts?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I'm on ADSL right now, so not sure what Sky Fibre performance is like in my neighbourhood.

Worth pushing Sky with a cancellation and seeing if a better offer comes through? Looking at it more, I think they have offered me 40% of TV, and the standard £25 for Fibre unlimited that is advertised on the Sky website.

Man of Honour
I'm not convinced that website gives a true indication of what real performance is like at peak times, rather than capability of the line and equipment.
It's always been accurate for me and as long as you get a decent ISP, peak time performance won't be an issue on FTTC.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'm not convinced that website gives a true indication of what real performance is like at peak times, rather than capability of the line and equipment.
With FTTC the "last mile" copper line is the bottleneck so it should be fairly accurate.

Caporegime
My Sky connection just dropped again. It's been a weird year. In the last six months I've had more internet dropouts* than in the last six years.

*The Sky Q hub is perfectly functional, it just won't pass any data to/from the internet. Pinging the DNS servers results in host unreachable. A reboot cures it, sometimes instantly but othertimes there is a 2-3 hour wait where it can't seem to get an IP address.

Anyone else been having funny issues this year?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
My Sky ADSL has been rock solid for years, but also the last 6 months has been really poor. One of the reasons for moving to Virgin, despite issues with the SH3.

Associate
For some reason I cannot upgrade to Fibre Max but I am being placed on Fibre Pro at a discount rate I am happy with. The only downside is I cannot have a Q Hub to replace my ageing hub. Any suggestions for a good way of replacing it with something that can handle the rigours of modern family life and better WiFi signal strength?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
For some reason I cannot upgrade to Fibre Max but I am being placed on Fibre Pro at a discount rate I am happy with. The only downside is I cannot have a Q Hub to replace my ageing hub. Any suggestions for a good way of replacing it with something that can handle the rigours of modern family life and better WiFi signal strength?

Why can't you have a Q hub?

Caporegime
Why can't you have a Q hub?

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't support static IP addresses. Neither does Sky Fibre Max. So he had to stay on Pro. I was asked about static IP addresses when I renegotiated my contract. You need one for things like web security cameras, servers, etc. none of which I had so I got moved from Pro to Max.

Back
Top Bottom