Sky Fibre Optic

Caporegime
Awesome news. I've been left feeling the pinch with a congested FTTC cabinet for some time. Hoping this arrives sooner rather than later but not counting on it.

Shawrey

It still relies on Openreach installation and network so unless Openreach decide to G.fast your cabinet or install FTTP (and FTTP where FTTC already exists is exceedingly rare) then you're still likely to be stuck on your congested Cab for a good while yet

Associate
It still relies on Openreach installation and network so unless Openreach decide to G.fast your cabinet or install FTTP (and FTTP where FTTC already exists is exceedingly rare) then you're still likely to be stuck on your congested Cab for a good while yet

Yes quite - Just hope Openreach see sense for our area in regards to G.Fast especially as VM have just installed the new higher spec equipment in their box in our area giving out 350Mb with future bumps in speed always in the loom..

Shawrey

Caporegime
I wouldn't expect to see G.fast grow much larger than the areas that already have it, Openreach have changed their focus towards native FTTP as the costs have come down.

Associate
cant complain either way really if sky as what the second biggest isp on OR network has a fttp product surely more of their customers will take it up hopefully driving down OR implementation costs further and if the costs are lowered more cabinets could be switched from fttc to fttp

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Wonder if we'll now see a price increase, now that Comcast have took over. :p

yeah will be interesting or if they try and force people to having to have a tv package or something else as silly. if they do anything like that i can see them losing a lot of people fast.

Suspended
Was going to post this in Networking but seeing as Misschief and superdumper are the resident Sky experts, will try here first.

Recently subscribed to Sky with Fibre max. Installation is Friday (28th). I have some technical questions to see if Sky is the right provider for me as currently on VM. The Sky Q hub was delivered and seems to only have two ethernet ports. I need to plug in a minimum of a TV and Bluray player (option for a laptop would be preferred). Is there not a 4 port option available? Would seem almost entry level now days.

My initial concern is that the master switch for the property is at the front door meaning that the hub will have to be connected there unless the engineer can move it (the master switch) to the lounge where a secondary switch resides. Is this possible?

Second concern is that the PVR side of Sky Q has to now also connect to the hub eliminating one of the ports. Is the TV signal still satellite or via cable ala VM? Don't want to have to watch everything via cable if this is the only internet line (although Netflix obviously is a download service).

Third, if the master switch cannot be moved and the hub has to live in the entrance hall, will the engineer connect the cat 6 cables to the Blu Ray and TV (by connect I mean organise enough cable and get it through a stud wall to the lounge, I can do the actual connection). My main issue is that I work from home and require a relatively fast and stable connection. I am downgrading from 200/15 line to 80/20 (expected 60Mb-63Mb) and do not now want to have to share this with TV coming into the house nor have the hub having to "wirelessly" communicate with the PVR side.

Thanks for the help as I don't want to waste Sky's time nor my own if for technical reasons the master switch cannot be moved or the lack of ports cannot be rectified. Don't wan't to have to buy another router or switch and spend my dime to rectify what I see as a failing in thought process by Sky (on the lack of ports). Will then just remain with VM.

NB.

Caporegime
Was going to post this in Networking but seeing as Misschief and superdumper are the resident Sky experts, will try here first.

Recently subscribed to Sky with Fibre max. Installation is Friday (28th). I have some technical questions to see if Sky is the right provider for me as currently on VM. The Sky Q hub was delivered and seems to only have two ethernet ports. I need to plug in a minimum of a TV and Bluray player (option for a laptop would be preferred). Is there not a 4 port option available? Would seem almost entry level now days.

My initial concern is that the master switch for the property is at the front door meaning that the hub will have to be connected there unless the engineer can move it (the master switch) to the lounge where a secondary switch resides. Is this possible?

Second concern is that the PVR side of Sky Q has to now also connect to the hub eliminating one of the ports. Is the TV signal still satellite or via cable ala VM? Don't want to have to watch everything via cable if this is the only internet line (although Netflix obviously is a download service).

Third, if the master switch cannot be moved and the hub has to live in the entrance hall, will the engineer connect the cat 6 cables to the Blu Ray and TV (by connect I mean organise enough cable and get it through a stud wall to the lounge, I can do the actual connection). My main issue is that I work from home and require a relatively fast and stable connection. I am downgrading from 200/15 line to 80/20 (expected 60Mb-63Mb) and do not now want to have to share this with TV coming into the house nor have the hub having to "wirelessly" communicate with the PVR side.

Thanks for the help as I don't want to waste Sky's time nor my own if for technical reasons the master switch cannot be moved or the lack of ports cannot be rectified. Don't wan't to have to buy another router or switch and spend my dime to rectify what I see as a failing in thought process by Sky (on the lack of ports). Will then just remain with VM.

NB.
No four port option available but a switch will do the job. £8-15 online.
Engineer won't move or relocate socket but can be done by Openreach (via Sky) for £65. Do both sockets work?
Sky Q will usually connect wirelessly to Q Hub and gets live TV still via satellite.
Engineer likely WON'T run or install network cables. I'm not even sure if they carry Network cable anymore.

Suspended
No four port option available but a switch will do the job. £8-15 online.
Engineer won't move or relocate socket but can be done by Openreach (via Sky) for £65. Do both sockets work?
Sky Q will usually connect wirelessly to Q Hub and gets live TV still via satellite.
Engineer likely WON'T run or install network cables. I'm not even sure if they carry Network cable anymore.

Hi. I realise that this was posted in networking not Home Cinema. Glad you saw it.

Not sure if the sockets work because was on VM when we moved in and have stayed with them all this time.

If they plug into the secondary socket in the lounge I am not phased (it is preferable) so long as speed isn't affected. If they can only use master socket near front door I cannot be bothered to pay extra, wait Lord knows how long for Open reach and still source switch etc.

It was a good deal on the TV side but honestly prefer VM cable. Splitting providers will not only mitigate cost saving but cost more.

I suppose I am having buyers remorse and was hoping you could allay my fears.

Will wait and see what the engineer says. Hopefully it will be good news...the secondary switch works perfectly and gives me 200MB down and 20MB up, I am a trial customer for the latest 4 port Sky Q hub and they will throw in a year of free Netflix.

:D

Suspended
So, had Sky and Openreach here today. Sky team were very professional and courteous. That part has been set up. Openreach guy installed a new mastersocket where the old one was claimed he was not allowed to move it to a new place (he was not informed by Sky and had not been allocated enough time). A second OR man came past because the line needed to be connected underground and the first guy was not qualified to dig (or dig underground installation).

Poor guy spent the best part of the afternoon here trying to do a line trace. Managed to get the broadband up and running but phone line is a problem so a third guy will be along shortly (and by that I mean at some point hopefully in the not too distant future).

Of course, all of this is kinda pointless as the mastersocket in the entrance hall with no plug points makes the exercise redundant.

On the phone to cancellations as we speak. What a pity.

Associate
Are Sky throttling/Traffic shaping websites like Rapidgator/Uploadgig Etc Etc or do I have an underlying problem some where.

Speed test comes up fine and so does downloading a test file. In both cases I get full download speeds. Anything from Rapidgator or the like and speeds are up and down erratically and failing. Tried a proper paid for VPN (Nord) and the problem persisted. Surprisingly using Opera browsers built in VPN cures the problem but at a reduced speed. Baffled :(

Soldato
Are Sky throttling/Traffic shaping websites like Rapidgator/Uploadgig Etc Etc or do I have an underlying problem some where.

Speed test comes up fine and so does downloading a test file. In both cases I get full download speeds. Anything from Rapidgator or the like and speeds are up and down erratically and failing. Tried a proper paid for VPN (Nord) and the problem persisted. Surprisingly using Opera browsers built in VPN cures the problem but at a reduced speed. Baffled :(

Not that I am aware of. These sites are nothing short of horrendous to download from generally anyway.

Soldato
If you're going to use a modem with USG then the USG would need to support MER, and I don't think it does (happy to be wrong).

If it does support MER then a BT HG612 will do what you want for about £15.

Something like the VR900 is a full blown router. If you put an USG behind it you'd have double NAT. If you're happy with double NAT then why not plug the USG into Sky's router?

Back
Top Bottom