Connection Speed 37977 kbps 5797 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.2 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.3 dB 6.6 dB

recently lots of reboots due to Skys broken fibre backbone to ns/dns
now have,

Connection Speed 33929 kbps 5960 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.4 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 5.7 dB 6.6 dB

how do I get the speed back as its stuck at this speed for two weeks, no sign of DLM boosting it back up

its probably turned interleaving on and you just have to keep router connected and wait. it'll give it back, eventually.

Soldato
Can anyone advise me. I've been having issues with Sky Fibre Max since being upgraded to it from Fibre Unlimited about two weeks ago. For two or three days after the upgrade I was getting speedtest results of 65-70Mbps, which I was happy with and understood that this might improve further as the connection settled in and the DLM adjusted. However, shortly after this the internet dropped out one evening and ever since I've been getting speedtest results of 35Mbps and download speeds of 3.5-4MB/s. What's weird is that the router statistics page is still showing good results:

Connection Speed 76608 kbps 20000 kbps
Line Attenuation 11.0 dB 8.6 dB
Noise Margin 6.3 dB 6.6 dB

I've been on the phone to Sky three or four times and I'm getting fed up with the way they constantly seem to fob me off with rubbish advice. They've suggested it could be a bandwidth issue because there are about nine or ten devices connected via ethernet or over wifi, but I've always had that many devices connected and never experienced issues on Fibre Unlimited. Besides, I disabled the wireless access point on both bands and removed all other ethernet devices and got the same speedtest and download results connected via ethernet directly to the router. They've also had me do a hard reset of the router. Sky are sending me a new router so hopefully that fixes it, but if not what are my options? And can anyone suggest any other causes?

Further to the above post, I was sent a new Q hub but it's made no difference. Is it now at the point where I need to insist that sky send out an Openreach engineer? I can't understand why the router stats are showing full speed but I'm getting 50% of that.

Soldato
Wired, direct to the Q hub. I think I've eliminated everything I possibly can. I've tried the test socket in the master socket and that too returned a speedtest of 38Mbps. I've also tried unplugging every phone, disabled the wifi, unplugged all other ethernet devices, etc to rule out interference or bandwidth issues being caused by another device, and still the same speedtest result. Someone on another forum suggested plugging the Q hub into one of the standard phone sockets in the house with a microfilter, but it wouldn't even connect to the internet when I tried that.

Soldato
Yeah, I've tried two separate ADSL cables. Sky did mention on the phone that we download a lot, 200GB in a week recently for example, but that's spread out across two desktops, a laptop, a Sky Q 2TB box, two Sky Q mini boxes, a PS4 Pro, an iPad and three Android phones. Plus as far as I'm aware the whole point of Fibre Unlimited and Max is that there are no caps on data usage, so they shouldn't be limiting the speed of my internet simply because I'm a heavy downloader.

It's so odd, when I do the 'broadband health check' on Sky's website it confirms that we're receiving 76Mbps and the router stats show a downstream connection speed of 76417kbps. I'm wondering whether the openreach master socket is faulty and that's why although it says we're getting 76Mbps we're not actually able to utilise that speed.

Associate
Yeah, I've tried two separate ADSL cables. Sky did mention on the phone that we download a lot, 200GB in a week recently for example, but that's spread out across two desktops, a laptop, a Sky Q 2TB box, two Sky Q mini boxes, a PS4 Pro, an iPad and three Android phones. Plus as far as I'm aware the whole point of Fibre Unlimited and Max is that there are no caps on data usage, so they shouldn't be limiting the speed of my internet simply because I'm a heavy downloader.

It's so odd, when I do the 'broadband health check' on Sky's website it confirms that we're receiving 76Mbps and the router stats show a downstream connection speed of 76417kbps. I'm wondering whether the openreach master socket is faulty and that's why although it says we're getting 76Mbps we're not actually able to utilise that speed.

no it wont be a faulty socket, because you have a great sync speed. google your problem, some users report the same problem when using network switches.

Soldato
no it wont be a faulty socket, because you have a great sync speed. google your problem, some users report the same problem when using network switches.

I did try a quick Google but couldn't find someone who had a very similar issue. Most people seemed to have poorer downstream speeds from the cabinet/exchange than they should have or would experience intermittent drops in speed. The speed drop is 24/7 for me. I don't have a network switch, other than a couple of powerline ethernet adaptors my home setup is very simple. We have one PC connected via ethernet direct to the router, another PC upstairs connected to a powerline ethernet adaptor and then a PS4 Pro connected to another powerline ethernet adaptor, other than that every device connects to the network via wifi.

I feel like I've ruled out every possibility within the house. I've disconnected everything from the network, I've tried the master socket test socket with two different PCs, we've been sent a replacement router, I've tried different cables. I can't think of anything else I could do my end. I've been advised on the Sky forums to insist an Openreach engineer be sent out, so I think that's what I'm going to do next.

Soldato
Hey guys,

back from a short departure..my SKY fibre Max is up and running, I tested "SpeedTest" on my iPad and was getting 62mbs and upload of around 10mbs..

Would I benefit from a third party router? line checkers suggest my line can handle up to just shy of 80mbs?

Caporegime
Hey guys,

back from a short departure..my SKY fibre Max is up and running, I tested "SpeedTest" on my iPad and was getting 62mbs and upload of around 10mbs..

Would I benefit from a third party router? line checkers suggest my line can handle up to just shy of 80mbs?

So what's the connected speed on the hub? http://192.168.0.1 click 'maintenance' login with admin and sky and then check the downstream connection speed:
Modem
Modem Status: Connected
Traffic Type: PTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):20000
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):79987

62Mbps isn't a bad result on a wireless device at all, especially if you have other devices in use.

Soldato
So what's the connected speed on the hub? http://192.168.0.1 click 'maintenance' login with admin and sky and then check the downstream connection speed:
Modem
Modem Status: Connected
Traffic Type: PTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):20000
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):79987

62Mbps isn't a bad result on a wireless device at all, especially if you have other devices in use.

Upstream 10725 Kbps
Downstream 73766 Kbps

Yeah, my mum was on chrome when I done the Speedtest.

Soldato
Don't forget your line quality from your cabinet to your master socket has a lot to do with your final speed.

Especially the cable from the telegraph pole to your master socket.

Always use RJ45 cables there dirt cheap to get the best performance from your connection.

Associate
so recently moved house and though i was transferring my old fibre pro package to the new house but moving to the fibre max product. today is the first day its been working and I've actually been moved to fibre unlimited called sky and asked if i could be put back onto max as I do a lot of 4k streaming to my tv etc but was told that max wasn't available in my area. find it a bit odd as if i checked out bt's wholesale checker i can definitely receive up to 78Mbps. wonder why sky cant offer me this. currently sat probably 300 meters from the cabinet (country lane only about 20 houses down my road) given its my first day my line stats might change but i get the feeling my line is being given worse SNR to keep me at 40Mbps

Connection Speed 39994 kbps 9999 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 16.0 dB
Noise Margin 15.2 dB 23.23 dB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom