SKY HD

Soldato
So what are Sky doing about this?

This has really annoyed me because I was planning on running component wires up the wall to another HDTV in the bedroom. Doing that with HDMI would cost about £200.

I'll have a read. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tommy B said:
So what are Sky doing about this?

This has really annoyed me because I was planning on running component wires up the wall to another HDTV in the bedroom. Doing that with HDMI would cost about £200.

I'll have a read. Thanks.

Its pioneers fault, there working on a fix. Sky hd works fine with other kit

Associate
bobbyboy uk said:
Its pioneers fault, there working on a fix. Sky hd works fine with other kit

I didn't realise that Pioneer had admitted liability in this issue. My understanding is that they are working in partenership with Sky to find a fix.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oops Dead Again said:
It is affecting other kit aswell not just plasma's. There have been cases of hdmi ports going on peoples av amps, pj's and other kit, it's not just limited to Pioneer.

On the av forums only thing ive read about is the pioneer kit, what others are affected?

Soldato
I have heard of some amps but they seem to share tech with pioneer.

It certinally does not affect Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Samusng, Hitachi and just about all other screens.

Pioneer will repair the ports in some cases so that seems to seal it as being a Pioneer fault - if it was a Sky HD box issue Pioneer wouldnt go near offering a fix.

Associate
A few quotes from various websites:

I am dealing with a lot of Ev***am and Atec LCD TV's affected by this same problem. Here is what we know so far

Sky's HDCP implementation was adopted very late. At the time they did adopt it, the box manufacturers tested the implementation on LCD TV using the Moviestar chipset for HDCP decoding.

Unfortunatelty Moviestar is one of the most forgiving chipsets out there right now. The Evesham and Atec LCD TV's of 42"+ use a chipset from Pixelworks (like around 30% of the LCD TV in the UK market right now) which the Sky HD box doesn't like. A firmware workaround is being developed by most TV manufacturers, but nothing seems to be being done by Sky.

The biggest pain in the ass for me is Sky customer service who just blame everything on the TV manufacturer, hoping the customer won't realise that their box has problems with around 30% of all the HD TV in the UK market today and therefore they at they very least own a significant share of the blame.

I've now had chance to try Gordon's suggestion and it made no difference - still getting the "HDCP message" via HDMI.

I've done some more playing with connections and sent Gordon the results.
It may be something obvious that I'm missing but I cannot understand why it was working ok and then suddenly failed. I can only conclude at this stage that the Sky HD box has altered the Lumagen in some way.

I emailed tech support at Sky yesterday but no response so far.
Gordon has kindly offered to come and have a look when he is next in my area. The standard of service couldn't be different.
biggrin.gif

For now I'll have to use component

My Toshiba MT8 (a perfect clone of the IF 7200) is getting the cold shoulder from Sky HD box - displaying the message about Non-HDCP compliant. My other display - the Sharp P70, works well via HDMI.

Called Sky (about 10 times), they said they will put me on the list of problematic equipment and come back.

Anybody with same problems with the Toshiba MT8/InFocus 7200?

What is the make a model of the failed equipment. How old is it?
Panasonic PHD8/1month old
Did you connect directly from your Sky HD box to the failed equipment
yes
How long from install of the HD box until the failure of your equipment
Immediately
Do you use your HD box regularly (every day?)
yes
Do you use the supplied HDMI cable from the SKY HD box?
yes
Do you use mains isolators
no
Do you use an AV amp to connect to your TV via HDMI.
no
Was there any advanced warning, such as funny bands etc on your TV before the full failure
no
Is the box noisy (such as disk bearings etc)?
no
Is the box running hot or in an enclosed space?
no
Was the Sky HD receiver set on Automatic, 720p or 1080i at the time of the failure?
1080i, as set by sky installer
Were the failed equipment and SkyHD receiver switched off at the mains when connecting the HDMI cable?
no

These are just a small number of people who had problems with hdmi, as I said it is not just Pioneer gear.

Associate
InwardSinging said:
Whats the general opinion on Sky HD - is it worth investing in yet?

Have you considered per chance reading the thread?

I may be being over perceptive here, but a thread entitled SKY HD may already contain the information you require. ;)

Soldato
DavidMarq said:
Have you considered per chance reading the thread?

I may be being over perceptive here, but a thread entitled SKY HD may already contain the information you require. ;)

There was a 7 week gap from people posting, and since the thread resumed nothing was said of the quality since the world cup finished.

Not a particularly helpful response it has to be said :rolleyes:

Associate
Sence of humor failure ?

InwardSinging said:
There was a 7 week gap from people posting, and since the thread resumed nothing was said of the quality since the world cup finished.

Not a particularly helpful response it has to be said :rolleyes:

How can a response directing you to the information you require be unhelpful? ;)

Thanks for the Roll Eyes I shall treasure it. :cool:

As for quality since the world cup, It varies in both content and picture quality. Sky seems to play about with bit rates from time to time making some films unwatchable. Artefacts such as blocking in large dark screen areas and backgrounds are common.

Premiership football however is as a rule very good and to me this makes the extra cost worthwhile. If you are not a football/sports fan then there is probably not enough quality HD content to justify the investment at this time.

Soldato
DavidMarq said:
Sence of humor failure ?

How can a response directing you to the information you require be unhelpful? ;)

Thanks for the Roll Eyes I shall treasure it. :cool:

As for quality since the world cup, It varies in both content and picture quality. Sky seems to play about with bit rates from time to time making some films unwatchable. Artefacts such as blocking in large dark screen areas and backgrounds are common.

Premiership football however is as a rule very good and to me this makes the extra cost worthwhile. If you are not a football/sports fan then there is probably not enough quality HD content to justify the investment at this time.

Thank you, I had read the thread - I suppose i should have phrased it better and stated I was looking for opinions from people who have had it a few months rather than the initial wow factor anyone has with a new purchase.

Ill withdraw my rolled eyes :cool:

Soldato
Been watching that as a test chan for a while - had some decent stuff on :)

Did anyone see Corine Bailey Rae on BBC HD ? I missed it the first time around but a m8 with a 1080p plasma said it was stunning and is his first show off thing on sky hd.

Was on again last night and it is stunning, PQ is draw droppingly good. The sound was also fantastic and really worked well in DD (im not a fan of music in 5.1 - even some proper DTS discs i have i prefer the stereo originals)

Defi the new reference sky hd show off !!

Back
Top Bottom