*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
It says SkyQ is an 18 month contract so even if you could carry on your existing offer, once it ends you will be paying full whack I'd assume. Or you're paying full whack regardless. Can't really tell.

Associate
Only a muppet with too much money would go for this.

*waves hello*

For me it looks like costing around the £12 p/m extra with £99 installation for the Silver bundle, for which I'll get a better wireless hub, better Wifi connectivity around the house, and a mini box for the bedroom. It'll also have the bonus of stopping Sky's insurance arm trying to sell me extended warranty for the box.

Soldato
*waves hello*

For me it looks like costing around the £12 p/m extra with £99 installation for the Silver bundle, for which I'll get a better wireless hub, better Wifi connectivity around the house, and a mini box for the bedroom. It'll also have the bonus of stopping Sky's insurance arm trying to sell me extended warranty for the box.

I was thinking it didn't seem TOO bad. Multiroom costs a tenner more anyway. Not too happy with the £99 installation though, I think that will be lowered once the hype dies down a bit and the adoption rate slows down.

Associate
*waves hello*

It's people like yourself why Sly gets away with the high prices and the insurance is a scam.

Too much money to burn clearly.

Soldato
Just signed up for a F&F 25 all in deal from Sky - be interested to see what we can do in terms of upgrading it to this in the near future as it would be ideal for our proposed multiform (I am currently planning on splitting the HDMI between the living room and the bedroom to allow mirrored viewing.

Associate
It's people like yourself why Sly gets away with the high prices and the insurance is a scam.

Too much money to burn clearly.

*shrugs*

Not really too much money to burn, but like a certain quality of life. At the moment we have a bedroom TV with a simple Freeview tuner but would like to be able to watch Sky upstairs. Right now that would mean multiroom (an extra £10 p/m and wired feed to the dish), and that would lack the features that SkyQ has (access to all content from the main box). So for £2 p/m over what we would be paying for multiroom with SkyHD, we get something that's an all-round improvement.

I know that we won't own the boxes at the end of it, but I don't forsee that being a problem. It wasn't when I was with Virgin Media before moving here. There's little choice here for TV providers other than Sky -- the online ones are a problem because we don't yet have ultrafast broadband -- so we'll be tied to them for a while yet anyway.

If there were adequate competition for Sky here, I'd happily consider the alternatives. But there aren't, so Sky get my hard-earned. :)

FTM

FTM

Soldato
i have a bog standard sky hd box and sky go extra and currently pay 41 quid a month..no movies and no films..looks like its only a pound extra for me..so seems a no brainer!

i dont even have a terrabyte hd box..its an ancient original one so i dont mind paying to replace it!!

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
*shrugs*

Not really too much money to burn, but like a certain quality of life. At the moment we have a bedroom TV with a simple Freeview tuner but would like to be able to watch Sky upstairs. Right now that would mean multiroom (an extra £10 p/m and wired feed to the dish), and that would lack the features that SkyQ has (access to all content from the main box). So for £2 p/m over what we would be paying for multiroom with SkyHD, we get something that's an all-round improvement.

Its presumably not actually £2pcm extra though. It would be £2pcm extra over SkyHD at full price, but Sky at full price is a little bit like a full price DFS sofa :p

That said, it looks like a great system if works as i understand it to. A massive improvement and Sky are justified in wanting some return for it.

Soldato
Pricing totally shocked me when I saw it.

I wouldn't read to much into upgrade costs from HD.

It's a fantastic system, I'm sure if priced slightly higher it would still get a massive uptake.

To clarify a question about he remotes from earlier.
The touch remote can be used on the sky q. The q remote can be used on either, which is IR. Also all remotes sold for Sky HD + for past 6 months can be used also.

Last edited:
Associate
If you take the Sky Q Silver Bundle (£54 per month) a Sky Q Mini is included. If you want a 2nd Sky Q Mini, then that will cost you a little more.

Adding Movies &/or Sports packs will cost more too.

Back
Top Bottom