*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Doesn't seem too bad for pricing. For what you get, only seems to be £1-£2 more expensive than I already pay. Not including the set up fee etc. Actually, if I went for the basic one(with movies), I'd be cheaper per month. I pay £58 right now, if I add sky go extra(already included in basic sky Q price) it's £63. Yet it would be £59 for basic sky Q with movies.

Silver has multiroom, that's £11 extra (for multiroom), £69 it would cost me, but it's £71 plus it has a big hard drive and 4K content later in the year. Pretty tempting!

Associate
Is it just me or does the new EPG seem very wasteful on screen space?

Putting the mini TV on the left using 30 percent of the screen width squeezes the useful content on the right, as well as wasting the rest of the vertical band.

It looks like it still shows the same amount of forward program information, but that must mean the font is getting a lot smaller, maybe not such a problem for large 4K TV's but what happens for viewers on multiroom smaller screens?

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere but to me it looks very cramped.

And in use I can see the first screen always being Top Picks instead of the EPG would get annoying, or have they changed this?

V F

V F

Soldato
Shame it isn't your own top picks built from your own recommended watching rather than what the masses like.

Associate
Is it just me or does the new EPG seem very wasteful on screen space?

There is a lot of information presented in the new EPG screens. It isn't always too clear how they work in the screen shots but is a lot better when you are using them.

Whilst I'm not sure how they would work with a 20" SD TV, they are fine with a 32" HD TV.

The layout is also similar on the Sky Q app which you can use on a tablet.

Shame it isn't your own top picks built from your own recommended watching rather than what the masses like.

The do become personalised to your viewing habits.

Soldato
I only have Sky in one room but it would be nice to get it into the bedroom.

That said for all channels in HD apart from sports, Fibre Broadband, Line Rental and Anytime Extra. It costs me £67.15 a month.

If they want me to pay full price to move to Sky Q then it's not gonna happen. If they want to charge me a bit extra then i'll consider it.

Soldato
There is a lot of information presented in the new EPG screens. It isn't always too clear how they work in the screen shots but is a lot better when you are using them.

Whilst I'm not sure how they would work with a 20" SD TV, they are fine with a 32" HD TV.

The layout is also similar on the Sky Q app which you can use on a tablet.

The do become personalised to your viewing habits.

Actually on 32inch screen it is pretty good, doesn't look or feel cramped in the slightest.

The new mini bar is an absolute joy to use.

V F

V F

Soldato
Actually on 32inch screen it is pretty good, doesn't look or feel cramped in the slightest.

The new mini bar is an absolute joy to use.

gallery_1453804617_p1250265.jpg

Suspended
How would this work in my house?

I have a full sky sub (sports and movies) with 3 extra multiroom boxes. It's not a case of recording downstairs and wanting to watch upstairs. Each person has their own box to record from.

How could sky Q work for me, I'm finding it a little hard to comprehend.

Caporegime
How would this work in my house?

I have a full sky sub (sports and movies) with 3 extra multiroom boxes. It's not a case of recording downstairs and wanting to watch upstairs. Each person has their own box to record from.

How could sky Q work for me, I'm finding it a little hard to comprehend.

There would be one Hard disk in the main box downstairs and a maximum of two further SkyQ mini boxes. in your situation you'd either have to lose a box or be limited to the same thing on two rooms by running a HDMI cable from one room to the other.

Soldato
Random question guys. Because i live in a flat with a communal dish i only have 1 signal coming in so i can't record two programs. Being able to record 3 live do you think i will still need two inputs connected?

Kills me not being able to use my sky+ properly.

Associate
So you cant have 2 sky silvers?

There has been an article posted where it was mentioned that you might be able to have two Sky Q Silver boxes. The information I've been provided through a private forum is that you can only have one Sky Q Silver on each account.

It is possible that a box under development might be able to support more Sky Q Minis.

For the present time I'd suggest that you keep your current set up and watch for any developments.

Random question guys. Because i live in a flat with a communal dish i only have 1 signal coming in so i can't record two programs. Being able to record 3 live do you think i will still need two inputs connected?

Kills me not being able to use my sky+ properly.

Unfortunately you'll need to discuss this with the Property management. They will need to arrange for the distribution system to be upgraded and for the LNB to be changed for one that is compatible with Sky Q.

If they need further information, point them to the page linked below:

https://communaltv.sky.com/

Soldato
My building is the same, just one feed but for some reason they installed a splitter just below the socket which accomplishes absolutely nothing because it's just splitting one feed rather than working as two separate ones.

Associate
Really looking forward to getting this. People can moan about the price but at the end of the day if you're not willing to pay their price then don't. It's really that simple.

We already have full package plus a second box and the increase for us looks like £1.50 a month with a £99 outlay for installation.

Plus the fact that if you have Sky Q Silver you have free maintenance and repair and a dedicated UK call centre. That alone is worth an extra £1.50 a month imo.

Suspended
I dont like the sound of it too much anyway tbh. I really don't want to rely on wi-fi to watch stuff I've recorded. I think I prefer having my own box with 2 tuners and 2TB internal hard drive. No issues at all. I can see quite a lot of issues rearing their head with Sky Q.

Caporegime
I dont like the sound of it too much anyway tbh. I really don't want to rely on wi-fi to watch stuff I've recorded. I think I prefer having my own box with 2 tuners and 2TB internal hard drive. No issues at all. I can see quite a lot of issues rearing their head with Sky Q.

You can also use powerline (only works with the existing Sky Q hub AFAIK, not with any other Router or brand of homeplug) or cable it.

Back
Top Bottom