*** Sky Q Thread ***

Don
Another Q question. Sky engineer installed a Booster in between my two boxes, I can get on it but can't change the SSID of it, are three not configurable at all?

The engineer also advised I don't plug neither sky box into the physical network and leave them wireless...I'm dubious.

Caporegime
Got Q installed this morning, quick question.

- If you have something stored on both Q boxes, can you delete from one and not the other or will it always remove from both when you delete?
- For those with kids, how do you get around this 4 device thing, I'm disappointed you can't have more than 2 devices with the Q app on, I have 4 iPads in the house! Even worse I thought Q App and Go would be separate entities but they tie in with each other, I take it you can't increase from 4?

Enjoying the upgrade anyway, just need my 4K TV now!

Thanks!

As far as I was aware you can have the Q app on as many devices as you wish (we have it on nine).

The only limit is that you cannot stream to more than two phones/tablets at the same time, although you have to remember that is on top of your main box and any minis you have.

So given our circumstances we can be in a position where I am watching the main tv from the main Q box, wife can watch tv from a mini box in the bedroom, elder daughter can watch tv in her room from her mini, and the twins have can have a tablet each so can stream to those separately too.

Therefore everyone can watch separate programs all at the same time.

Oh and as for not plugging into main network, that is BS, it is easy to do and setup, and far more robust and reliable than leaving the system on wireless.

Soldato
Another Q question. Sky engineer installed a Booster in between my two boxes, I can get on it but can't change the SSID of it, are three not configurable at all?

The engineer also advised I don't plug neither sky box into the physical network and leave them wireless...I'm dubious.

The engineer really doesn't understand networking by the sounds of things.

Plug the boxes into your network asap, everything will work out the box as ethernet shoud be turned on in the software that your boxes will have.

Don
Never used one of our boosters, or even looked into its configs.

You can change the name of your Q boxes, so I presume you can change the booster ssid..

You can't change the name of the Q boxes can you? Just the airplay name? According to the Sky box my network name is SkyBE341 which isn't, they're on the physical network now so not sure why it's saying this name, the booster isn't even plugged in anymore neither.

Associate
Is there any way to tell a recording to start at X minutes, it was possible on the Sky+ but I can't figure it out on here? Useful in the sense you can skip the first part with the end of the previous show and the adverts at the start. I used to tell it to play at 4 minutes

Soldato
Is there any way to tell a recording to start at X minutes, it was possible on the Sky+ but I can't figure it out on here? Useful in the sense you can skip the first part with the end of the previous show and the adverts at the start. I used to tell it to play at 4 minutes

Nope.

I push up on the touch pad or cursor key and then push right, and slide the time along until the correct place.

Don
Guys, how do the Q boxes communicate with each? When you choose wired connection in network settings does that mean they'll use the physical connection to speak to each other? I don't have any issues with my LAN but the mini box is so flaky, little pauses here and there.

Don
Why when you reset your network settings do you have to use the WPS on both devices? They're miles away from each other! Surely if the cat5 is plugged in they should just auto resolve and pickup an IP that way?

Caporegime
WPS is only for wireless connection.

As you say when the main box and any mini boxes are all hardwired to your router then they will all be allocated IP addresses from there.

You do have to remember to go into the boxes engineers menu and disable wireless connection though, until then the boxes preferred connection will be wireless, even if everything is hardwired.

Soldato
I've recently set up and had to reconfigure a SKY Q box and minibox with a Sky router.. Ultimately yes there was a lot of pressing the WPS button which like many people on here I suspect I've never really done before because I know what my SSID and passwords are.. Sky just want you to do it that way.

To be fair however now it's working it's been pretty much faultless other than the frankly awful kindergarten menu system.

I want much much less discovery and trying to be smart with tiles and whatnot and just give me a damn list of what I've recorded... It's reminiscent of early smart TVs.. like it's been designed by someone who's never watched TV.

In fact I watch the TV less since I've got it because I've never got anything recorded because I can't be bothered to scrap with the interface.

It's easier to use your phone to set recordings than it is to trawl through with the "smart" remote.

Grr

Caporegime
I've recently set up and had to reconfigure a SKY Q box and minibox with a Sky router.. Ultimately yes there was a lot of pressing the WPS button which like many people on here I suspect I've never really done before because I know what my SSID and passwords are.. Sky just want you to do it that way.

To be fair however now it's working it's been pretty much faultless other than the frankly awful kindergarten menu system.

I want much much less discovery and trying to be smart with tiles and whatnot and just give me a damn list of what I've recorded... It's reminiscent of early smart TVs.. like it's been designed by someone who's never watched TV.

In fact I watch the TV less since I've got it because I've never got anything recorded because I can't be bothered to scrap with the interface.

It's easier to use your phone to set recordings than it is to trawl through with the "smart" remote.

Grr
Press the Sky button to go straight to the recordings.

Soldato
I think I knew that? I'm not sure but finding them isn't the issue it's finding things TO record I have issues with and then the way it presents those recordings as big files.

I can read a list, it would have never occurred to me there wouldn't be a simple chronological text list like the old sky+ box, it's almost like I want classic mode lol

Back
Top Bottom