*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
After a weekend of getting used to it seems to work well so far, only issue I had was the hidden 5ghz wireless network the boxes use was affecting my VM wifi, had to change the channel up above 52 to stop it causing devices to drop out.

Still getting used to the touch remote and the one niggle I have is with the tv preview being on the left side now instead of the top it seems like loads of wasted real estate for the tv guide.

Associate
I found the mesh network to be the only thing worth it for Sky Q. All boxes randomly crashing, inability to read certain recordings from one box to another or from main box to sky go app (aware of the licensing issue but should be indicated). Then the highly compressed 4K being worse than Netflix which is already highly compressed sealed the deal and it all went back around 20 days in.

Associate
My black background on the mini returned last night. It's not the high contrast option as the background is plain black, there in no Q in the top left corner for instance. Accessibility mode was off and toggling made the Q appear then disappear again when off. I've power cycled it now and so far it's remained with the blue background for now.

Man of Honour
Anyone here watch the fight on Sunday morning? Watched it on my mini box and the audio stuttering was so bad I had to switch dolby off.

Associate
Was cable in my example... running a 5m cable from a Macbook to a TV. Mild sparklies when running at 1080, different cable worked perfectly. 720 was fine, so I'm assuming it's poor quality/shielding on the cable I used (A - Z special), and when replaced with a new/better shielded cable it was fine.

Soldato
Haven't got a 4k TV myself but read that some only support 4k on certain inputs, might be worth checking. Cable is a good shout as well though the one they gave you should work but worth a try.

Any other 4k devices you can try to test the TV?

Caporegime
Only older 2014/2015 models would have an issue not supporting 4k on certain inputs

You need an HDMI cable that states 'High Speed'

5m is fairly long to send a 4K UHD signal because it's already on the limit of what HDMI 2.0 can handle. The cable that comes with Sky Q is high speed and should work fine. Can you try it closer to the TV with a shorter cable to narrow it down?

Soldato
I want to get BT Sports for the Rugby Union and the Ashes later on this year. I know you can sign up on the BT website but can you also do it by ringing Sky directly? BT seem to charge extra for watching it on two TVs and seeing as Sky Q comes with two boxes by default that seems a bit weird.

Does anyone else subscribe to the full BT Sport package?

Thanks for any help :).

Soldato
I want to get BT Sports for the Rugby Union and the Ashes later on this year. I know you can sign up on the BT website but can you also do it by ringing Sky directly? BT seem to charge extra for watching it on two TVs and seeing as Sky Q comes with two boxes by default that seems a bit weird.

Does anyone else subscribe to the full BT Sport package?

Thanks for any help :).
I'm fairly sure you have to speak with BT.

Soldato
Latest ad is getting on my nerves. I generally like Idris Elba but, if you're going to use someone to advertise Ultra HD, it might be a good idea to find someone who can actually pronounce the letter 'H' properly!

Soldato
Hi guys, just very kindly taken Misschief up on his friends & family offer and ordered Sky Q with a mini box for multi room.

After placing the order I was reading the small print on the confirmation email, it stated about a phone line. I didn't think Sky required a phone line for many years?! I know multi room used to but I thought in this day and age it would all go through broadband (which would be cable)

I originally had no intention of getting a landline installed but do I now need one?

Soldato
Hi guys, just very kindly taken Misschief up on his friends & family offer and ordered Sky Q with a mini box for multi room.

After placing the order I was reading the small print on the confirmation email, it stated about a phone line. I didn't think Sky required a phone line for many years?! I know multi room used to but I thought in this day and age it would all go through broadband (which would be cable)

I originally had no intention of getting a landline installed but do I now need one?
I can't speak for multiroom but I got Q installed a month ago & it's not plugged in to the phone line, we don't even have one.

Soldato
I can't speak for multiroom but I got Q installed a month ago & it's not plugged in to the phone line, we don't even have one.

OK thanks, Google seems to agree with you although I hear a broadband connection is required to activate the system, wish Sky had told me that!

I haven't moved in yet so don't have an active connection, I do however have time to get something sorted but if all else fails, in theory, is there any reason why I cant use my phone as a hotspot and activate it all over 4g? It'll all come good in the end but just want to cover all bases :)

TJM

TJM

Associate
Do exactly that - some engineers will not complete the install without an active internet connection. I wouldn't even tell them that it's a hotspot.

Back
Top Bottom