*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Cool thanks. Yeah when are Harmony going to bring out a remote that supports voice control? I already have a Fire TV on which it would be useful. Or is there any way to use my Google Home to control/use SkyQ?

Yes with harmony ultimate/elite connected with Google home.

I often turn on sky q / Apple TV or Netflix etc using my Google home mini, it will also change channels, pause and adjust the volume all via voice.

Soldato
Ah yes. I already do that with my virgin box and other devices. I guess I meant if there's a siri/Alexa style search on the Q box, can you call that up on the Home?

Soldato
As far as I know there isn't other than using voice search on the q remote but who wants 2 remotes these days :p ....
Well not me. I'm really happy with my Harmony for everything but I do wish I can use voice search on my FireTV or AppleTV with it.

Next question; how big are the Sky dishes nowadays and which way do they need to face? I've heard South-East? If my flat faces West I'd imagine they could put the dish on the back of the building? Yet how would they usually cable it through to my lounge (at the front of the building)? :confused: Are they likely to put the dish on the roof? It's a converted Victorian house (but with a flat roof as it's been extended up).

Soldato
Still not impressed by the wireless with Sky Q. I have an average size 2 bedroom house. I have the router and main Sky Q box in the living room. Upstairs I have mini boxes in each bedroom. Should be more than enough for decent coverage but it's far from it. Downstairs if you walk from the living room into the dining room and turn right into the kitchen it completely drops out. Upstairs is even stranger. Walk out my Bedroom and the toilet is literally right there. When I'm in the toilet the signal is pretty low but should be fine apart from the fact the signal completely drops at random for no reason. I used an app called Wi-Fi Analyzer in the toilet to see what was going on. Can see all 4 signals at roughly the same strength but every 30-60 seconds one of them completely drops off the graph then pops up 30 seconds later. It does this continuously but not always for the same signal. So annoying.

Soldato
Still not impressed by the wireless with Sky Q. I have an average size 2 bedroom house. I have the router and main Sky Q box in the living room. Upstairs I have mini boxes in each bedroom. Should be more than enough for decent coverage but it's far from it. Downstairs if you walk from the living room into the dining room and turn right into the kitchen it completely drops out. Upstairs is even stranger. Walk out my Bedroom and the toilet is literally right there. When I'm in the toilet the signal is pretty low but should be fine apart from the fact the signal completely drops at random for no reason. I used an app called Wi-Fi Analyzer in the toilet to see what was going on. Can see all 4 signals at roughly the same strength but every 30-60 seconds one of them completely drops off the graph then pops up 30 seconds later. It does this continuously but not always for the same signal. So annoying.

The impression from your post is that you are using the Sky Q hub.......................is that the case ? If not, the mini's are only connected wireless to the main Sky Q box.

Soldato
Can anyone explain how it works when an engineer comes round to install? My landlords are ok with swapping to Sky "in principle" but are worried about dish placement and how the cabling is done. Obviously I'm going to ask the Sky person this on the phone but I'm worried an engineer will come round, tell me what he wants to do and then railroad me into doing that or paying again for another visit etc. Likelihood is I'll need to explain to the landlords what the plan is so that they can approve.

Also, we're in a 1st floor flat with no access to the back garden (which faces East). Is that likely to be a probably given the dishes face SE? Will they just stick it on a chimney?

Soldato
Is it true that the Sky Q boxes have no coax/RF output ? :mad:

As I use the coax output on my two SkyHD boxes to feed some of the other TV's in the house (Kids Bedroom TV and Kitchen TV)

Soldato
Upfront cost then £12pm for 1 or more boxes. Unlike with Sky+HD one single MS payment covers up to 4 Mini boxes. But even with a 2TB box you can still only watch two mini boxes simultaneously.
Thanks

Does that mean we can watch three boxes at the same time (the 2TB box and 2 mini boxes at same time) as that should be ok..

Soldato
Quick question related to Q Experience - what cable needs coming through the wall, is it just another double coax cable alongside the existing or does a whole new cable have to be run through?

Caporegime
Quick question related to Q Experience - what cable needs coming through the wall, is it just another double coax cable alongside the existing or does a whole new cable have to be run through?
Not sure what you mean? If there’s double coax already in place and it’s new and of good quality then it’ll be used by the engineer. If it’s old or damaged then they’ll likely remove it and put new dual coax in. The Mini boxes don’t have a connection to the dish.

Soldato
Not sure what you mean? If there’s double coax already in place and it’s new and of good quality then it’ll be used by the engineer. If it’s old or damaged then they’ll likely remove it and put new dual coax in. The Mini boxes don’t have a connection to the dish.

Does it not need a quad lnb/coax for Q Experience/multiscreen then? The dual coax in there at the moment is fine, but if I need another dual cable I might have to pre drill the hole as the engineer didn't have a bit long enough last time :p

Back
Top Bottom