*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
I would imagine the engineers van will contain everything he needs, including spare stuff.

Rememberthe Q is the only box that connects directly to the dish. All mini boxes are wireless and connect over that to main box.

Thanks let’s hope so. But I like to be prepared. Will be keeping a close eye and hope he doesn’t try and run off with my onto LNB

Caporegime
hi guys, having sky q installed this weekend. Do sky q installers carry the hybrid LNB as standard?

When i had moved into the house there were already 2 sky dishes installed. Currently these both have Octo LNBs attached with 14 of the 16 connections wired up to provide dual/single feeds to multiple rooms in the house. One of them has 6 in use and luckily this will the one i want sky q to be connected to.

I think the hybrid LNB has 6 connections in total - 2 for sky q and 4 for regular satellite/freesat. Do i have to call sky beforehand to ensure they carry the right LNB with them?

Firstly it is very obviously a chance that things have changed in the two years since my parents got Sky Q fitted.

But at that time the engineers would not touch a hybrid LNB with a bargepole, it was not regarded as standard equipment necessary to run Sky Q so they did not fit them, and if one was fitted would take it off and fit their own.

Like I say things may well have changed in two years so fingers crossed for you.

I can only say the issues my parents went through.

Soldato
Do sky q installers carry the hybrid LNB as standard?
not in our experience.

On behalf of parents had rung sky beforehand to get this install requirement put into customer notes (for later freesat) .. but despite this the pratts turned up without it,
I would have told them to go away , but we relented and wrong lnb installed, but customer support said we will later install it/free when you have the feesat box.
rubbish service.

daz

daz

Soldato
Just bought some Google Wifi pucks and turned off wifi on my router and etc ... so far my connectivity is massively improved.

Soldato
Firstly it is very obviously a chance that things have changed in the two years since my parents got Sky Q fitted.

But at that time the engineers would not touch a hybrid LNB with a bargepole, it was not regarded as standard equipment necessary to run Sky Q so they did not fit them, and if one was fitted would take it off and fit their own.

Like I say things may well have changed in two years so fingers crossed for you.

I can only say the issues my parents went through.
not in our experience.

On behalf of parents had rung sky beforehand to get this install requirement put into customer notes (for later freesat) .. but despite this the pratts turned up without it,
I would have told them to go away , but we relented and wrong lnb installed, but customer support said we will later install it/free when you have the feesat box.
rubbish service.

this doesn't fill me with confidence at all. i will ring them and see if i can request it myself

Man of Honour
Anyone else having issues downloading anything on Sky Q?

I’ve tried wireless, wired and restarting the Q box. It seems to trickle along at a few hundred k a second according to my firewall. Everything else on my network is fine as is the connection itself.

Soldato
i can get sky Q install for £50 for the 2TB box and the multiroom, £13 extra a month. Hmnmmm............
This is what I bit on a few weeks ago. £50 upfront for 2tb box, mini box, inatallation and then £13 a month on top of my £25 a month {no sports or movies}. Would have paid the same for normal hd multiroom.

Still waiting for 25th for the install.

Associate
£13 ppm extra for multi room is such a con.

If you have a decent aerial connection and your tvs supports dvb t2 (most newish TVs do) get a decent dvbt2 injector (think mine is an Edison) also will need hdmi splitter to split sky q source.

This will give you sky q on all TVs that have an aerial and can support dvb t2. Picture quality is great with 1080p support. Just make sure current aerials up to job.

Injector was around £150
Splitter around £25

Caporegime
£13 ppm extra for multi room is such a con.

If you have a decent aerial connection and your tvs supports dvb t2 (most newish TVs do) get a decent dvbt2 injector (think mine is an Edison) also will need hdmi splitter to split sky q source.

This will give you sky q on all TVs that have an aerial and can support dvb t2. Picture quality is great with 1080p support. Just make sure current aerials up to job.

Injector was around £150
Splitter around £25
True, but you can still only watch the same thing on both TV's. You could do the same thing on Sky+HD with a TV Link with only the upfront equipment and install costs, about £15 if you did it yourself.

Associate
Real reason they took rf out on sky q box was to sell their multi room boxes and to increase ppm subscription.

It does give benefit of watching 2 different channels though I’ll give sky that.

Caporegime
Real reason they took rf out on sky q box was to sell their multi room boxes and to increase ppm subscription.

It does give benefit of watching 2 different channels though I’ll give sky that.
RF doesn't support HDCP which more and more content providers were requiring and Netflix won't allow you to view over a NON-HDCP connection either.

Associate
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KBXKJ2A?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Above is injector I have, Netflix definitely works over coax and with a hdmi splitter at sky q box.

Don’t quote me on this but think hdmi splitter deals with all the hdcp handshaking.

Splitter like below
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-SPLITTER-Distribution-Amplifier-Display-black/dp

/B002EACW82/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=hdcp+2.2+hdmi+splitter&qid=1568576880&sprefix=hdcp+2&sr=8-7

Hope links ok don’t think overclockers do aerial stuff

Soldato
Just before I order Sky Q, as I've seen mixed responses to this question;

Can the main Sky Q box and the mini boxes be controlled via IR? I have a house media cupboard where my current Sky HD boxes, ATV, Sonos etc all live. Most of it works off IR blasters so I wanted to check if the main and mini boxes have IR receivers?

Also, how good are the Sky bluetooth remotes in terms of connectivity? Are they good enough to reach other rooms are is it the usual terrible quality of bluetooth?

Back
Top Bottom