*** Sky Q Thread ***

Man of Honour
We cancelled the movies. Invested in a 4k player instead and now swap 4k movies on avforums classifieds. It made sense, since I've got a huge oled, why settle for sub par media quality on something I've spent so much money on?
Bluray 1080p looks better than Sky 4k, it's ridiculous.

Soldato
Bluray 1080p looks better than Sky 4k, it's ridiculous.
I did wonder if there could be some trading standards enquiry about that because it clearly isn't to the quality expected. However, they don't advertise it as 4K do they? It's advertised as UHD. So I guess they can put whatever figures they wish on their own offering of "UHD" . The fact HD is still being peddled as a premium service but often looks like a pirated VHS, it isn't surprising that the picture quality is lacking across the board.

Soldato
Not sure if old news but heard yesterday that a date of 30th Jan has been set for the near-mythical BT Sport deal on Sky.

Will see if anything actually materialises and what the pricing is like.

Soldato
Near-mythical..don't you mean the HDR update? :p

No that's TOTALLY mythical!

EDIT: Just seen their Ultra HD advert again which has the tag line "TV has never looked so good".

You mean except for pretty much every other streaming service which has the same resolution but with HDR too? I've half a mind to make a complaint to the ASA for false advertising.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am having some really bad audio quality after recording direct from TV on the SKY Q box. Dublin Murders on BBC1 was an example. The voices sounded washed out, there was no bass at all in places and sounded like my soundbar/woofer was cutting out but as soon as stopped playing a recording the TV sound went back to normal. It has happened on other programs recorded too and it seems in general the audio is much lower on recording compared to live tv. Any ideas why?

Caporegime
I am having some really bad audio quality after recording direct from TV on the SKY Q box. Dublin Murders on BBC1 was an example. The voices sounded washed out, there was no bass at all in places and sounded like my soundbar/woofer was cutting out but as soon as stopped playing a recording the TV sound went back to normal. It has happened on other programs recorded too and it seems in general the audio is much lower on recording compared to live tv. Any ideas why?
Recording direct from BBC or iPlayer download? Checked your sound settings? Sounds like it's outputting DD5.1 without a 5.1 setup.

Soldato
Just booked an upgrade from the HD box to the 2TB Q box, need to get a 4k TV now too lol.

Little bit of help, I have a Netflix account, but I've added ultimate on demand, so will get my Netflix via sky q. I can use that straight away they said and I'll get an email on how to merge my accounts. I don't have this yet, but don't I want to use it straight away and stop my seperate payment?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just booked an upgrade from the HD box to the 2TB Q box, need to get a 4k TV now too lol.

Little bit of help, I have a Netflix account, but I've added ultimate on demand, so will get my Netflix via sky q. I can use that straight away they said and I'll get an email on how to merge my accounts. I don't have this yet, but don't I want to use it straight away and stop my seperate payment?
When you first use Netflix on the Q box make sure to use your Netflix account. This will then stop Netflix billing you automatically.

Soldato
Does the 2Tb box give the option in the Video settings to output 1080p @ 50 fps?

I've got the 1Tb box and 1080p is output at 25fps so have to drop down to 720p to get 50fps. I watch on a PC monitor and the difference is very noticeable for the sports I watch like football and F1.

Soldato
Recording direct from BBC or iPlayer download? Checked your sound settings? Sounds like it's outputting DD5.1 without a 5.1 setup.
Direct from BBC ch 115 etc.

I have a LG SK6 soundbar and it says Dolby Digital compliant and when it was installed engineer set it up as Dolby Digital.

AUDIO FORMAT
LPCM Yes
Dolby Digital Yes
DTS Digital Surround Yes
DTS Virtual X Yes
FLAC - Up to 192kHz Yes
OGG - Up to 48kHz Yes
WAV Yes
Apple Lossless (m4a) Yes
MP3 Yes
WMA Yes
AAC / AAC+ Streaming (Wi-Fi), Bluetooth