*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Bit of a subject straddler here...

I had Q installed in September, but only the TV, and already had my own wireless kit installed.

My question is, I guess, is that is now I've also moved to Sky Fibre, is there any mileage in me also reconfiguring the 2TB, Mini and Q Hub to use the meshing WiFi?

I've not bothered as yet, and the 2TB and Q Hub are wired Cat6, with the Mini Q being WiFi off the existing access point I'm using.

I've no wireless dead spots with my existing kit, and the move to the Q WiFi meshing wouldn't really give me anything above and beyond what I've got already...

Only reason I'm asking is because the facility's there and I'm just curious!

Soldato
undergroove;30499615 said:
Bit of a subject straddler here...

I had Q installed in September, but only the TV, and already had my own wireless kit installed.

My question is, I guess, is that is now I've also moved to Sky Fibre, is there any mileage in me also reconfiguring the 2TB, Mini and Q Hub to use the meshing WiFi?

I've not bothered as yet, and the 2TB and Q Hub are wired Cat6, with the Mini Q being WiFi off the existing access point I'm using.

I've no wireless dead spots with my existing kit, and the move to the Q WiFi meshing wouldn't really give me anything above and beyond what I've got already...

Only reason I'm asking is because the facility's there and I'm just curious!

Does Q create a mesh? I thought it was just a signal repeater?

Associate
Basher;30499642 said:
Does Q create a mesh? I thought it was just a signal repeater?

I could be wrong! Thought it was meshy-like, same kind of base tech as the Google WiFi kit...

UPDATE: found a few more threads about it... think I'll just wire in the Mini Q and not bother with any of the Sky WiFi at all.

Idea seems sound if you're using only their kit, but it looks like I gain nowt.

On an actual Q TV related note, the idea of sports rewind sounds cracking!

Soldato
n111ck;30500707 said:
How does it work as there is no way to enter the wifi password on the mini?

They seem to communicate by wifi direct and not via the router so a different protocol without needing a wifi password ... so that protects the IP I guess so you cannot set up a vpn and have the mini in a different geographical location ?

Soldato
jpaul;30500861 said:
They seem to communicate by wifi direct and not via the router so a different protocol without needing a wifi password ... so that protects the IP I guess so you cannot set up a vpn and have the mini in a different geographical location ?

That's the problem - signal from my router is fine but from the Q is crap - had been using separate powerline but they keep disconnecting.

Man of Honour
What on earth are you on about? :D

Mav

Mav

Associate
I just got Sky Q installed last week ..
Good offer 1TB silver .. Basic sky and HD and box sets for 18 months @ £19 per month .

Anyways I've noticed that I get audio drop outs for a few seconds .. Happens now and then watching live TV ..

But happens more when watching recorded program's .. Rewind the program and the sound is there !

I am using the hdmi connection to my Yamaha AV amp .. Then to my Panasonic TV ..

I know the cable is fine as I had my Blu Ray plugged into it ..

Is anyone esle having this issue ?

Soldato
Probably already discussed a fair bit so I'm a bit late with this but I just checked the offers for Sky Q with LG promo (12 months free).

It seems like bit of a con to be honest. It's an 18 month contract so you have to pay for the last 6 months at whatever package you opt to go for. Also seems like you still have to pay for line rental at 18.99pm - which I don't want/need and you have an installation fee too. Yeah, you get a Q box and multiroom but it's all a bit disappointing when you actually look into it. Think I'll end up not bothering and stick with Virgin.

Associate
It's 12 months contract there is no mention of 18 months?
I assume you need the line rental for the broadband. So nothing to do with the Q specifically. I'm with BT and didn't need to change my broadband.

You pay £60 yes

Back
Top Bottom