Sky Stream - Launches *NOW* (post #1 for pricing / page #5 for pics)

Soldato
Interesting, this was obviously the natural progression but may have appeared at a good time for me, all depends on the price though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As far as I can see they haven't actually specified if you have to pay for the box itself. They give you a puck for free when you take the whole home subscription with Sky Glass, then charge £50 each for additional pucks. I can't see them giving these things away so if it's an additional £50 for just one, on top of the £39.95 setup fee, plus the £26 or £29 channel package, plus £5 for UHD/HDR/Atmos plus £8 for Netflix premium (as it is with Glass) then it very quickly adds up to a not very good value proposition...

I think the first puck will be free. Maybe that's why they have the £40 setup fee.

Permabanned
I've read a rumour that sky are looking into cloud recording, where they do the recording and you just stream. Sounds like a lot of data storage to me.

I've just had a thought - they would only need to store the recording once. That one recording could be streamed to whoever wants to watch it in the future. The show could be tagged so for someone to re-watch that recording it would just need a tag put on that persons "watch later" list. It won't need to be recorded for every single person who wants to watch it later just the once. In theory it wouldn't be a recording then it would just be a re-stream of that "program". If you get me?

Permabanned
Also sky should have just basically put it like netflix with different "packages" with free setup. A lot of people might have jumped but there would be a cost to buy the box outright for example as the cost of hardware has to come from somewhere and you need that to stream anyway so it's required.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've just had a thought - they would only need to store the recording once. That one recording could be streamed to whoever wants to watch it in the future. The show could be tagged so for someone to re-watch that recording it would just need a tag put on that persons "watch later" list. It won't need to be recorded for every single person who wants to watch it later just the once. In theory it wouldn't be a recording then it would just be a re-stream of that "program". If you get me?

Yeah, I think that's how they are doing it. There is the playlist feature rather than the recording section which I assume is exactly that.
When you think about it, when they broadcast it live, they are just streaming a video file anyway, so like you say, they only need to keep it available for streaming. I'm sure this is where the £5 extra to skip adverts comes into it as well. They just take the ad markers off the stream.

Permabanned
Yeah, I think that's how they are doing it. There is the playlist feature rather than the recording section which I assume is exactly that.
When you think about it, when they broadcast it live, they are just streaming a video file anyway, so like you say, they only need to keep it available for streaming. I'm sure this is where the £5 extra to skip adverts comes into it as well. They just take the ad markers off the stream.

Yeh! makes sense really I couldn't imaging how much space it would take for the everyone to record seperatly. Would be a nightmare to manage IMO.

Soldato
With the discount it seems pretty good value but if you go back to the £26 for Ultimate base pack then that doesn't seem great value for money and is only really beneficial if you are unable to have a dish installed/don't want a dish on the house.

All-in package of SkyQ is £81 with Movies, Sports, Multiroom and Ultra HD
Sky Stream discounted - £74
Sky Stream full price - £85

Plus you don't have proper recording that SkyQ offers compared to the Glass/Stream service....I'm still not really sure how it works but the reviews I've read seem to indicate it's not quite as good. Both have a £20 set up fee as well...

Last edited:
Associate
How have people actually ordered this? I tried the online chat and they refused to acknowledge sky stream even existed haha. They insisted that I would need a sky glass tv!

Soldato
Guys Stream is available from the mid mall stores in shopping centres or from the Sky shops from last Wednesday.

With better deals if you have Sky fibre BB.

Soldato
SkyTV now needs to become an app on your favourite streaming device. I don't need additional hardware - it needs to be a tile on my Apple TV UHD box which I pay a monthly subscription to be able to use.
Needs to be marketed at the Premium version of Now.

Back
Top Bottom