*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Cancelled my Sky just before Christmas as they wanted to overcharge me as an existing customer. Decided to cut the TV package and stay on broadband but they wanted £48 a month despite new customers can pay £35 for the same service so I also cut the fibre and moved to Vodafone.

They've obviously got some sales targets to reach, I haven't heard from them since I cancelled nearly 6 months ago and in the space of a week I've had a phone call, a letter, and a text message with 'exclusive offers'.

They are playingbhard ball and won't budge. I can't be bothered to cancel again.
I cancelled on the 15th December, and asked for the essentials pack for £5 per month, using the Sky Q box with record and able to get all the free sat programs Plus I saved £64 (- £5) this month. They have called me twice, and I refused their offers. Tbh i'm not really missing it.

Exactly. They think you won’t cancel so where’s the incentive for them to give you anything extra? Cancel. They will improve their offer for the sake of losing what was guaranteed revenue.

Coming up to 2 years SKY free and I really haven't missed it.
We are only 4 months or so without, it's like I've never had it, don't even think of it lol.

What was annoying, I took the lionsgate+ 3 months free VIP offer, but in that period I cancelled sky.

I asked them and they said it's all fine, nothing is on your account, you won't be charged for it.

I looked on my credit card around the date the first payment was due and nothing came out. Thought all is good.

Only noticed this month, they've been charging me for it!

What's odd, is why the first payment was missed/not taken, but then they started 1 month after, seems a bit sneaky, as I wasn't looking for it.

Phoned sky, nothing they can do, can only email lionsgate from what I saw. Did read online people have been caught in this loop, each company say go to the other.

I just phoned my CC company and blocked it now.

Well I cancelled mine as it was going from £34 to £54. The best they could do when retentions got involved was £50. So cancelled and waited for the packaging to arrive to collect the equipment. Eventually got a text around day 20 days review options to stay so did the Webchat option and they gave me it for £35 so a pound increase.
I did say to them it’s annoying you have to go to that length to get a fair price and shouldn’t need to cancel and walk away. But the wife was bugging me saying it’s not going.

Exactly. They think you won’t cancel so where’s the incentive for them to give you anything extra? Cancel. They will improve their offer for the sake of losing what was guaranteed revenue.
You cannot guarantee that will happen these days. This very thread has numerous people who had terrible offers as they went out of contract and then no attempt to win them back once they had left.
To be fair - if you're at the point where you "might as well leave anyway", just leave. Well over 6 months now without a Sky contact and not missing it one little bit.
OK, so I got a NowTV Entertainment bundle - but I paid £4.95/month for 6 months - but cannot ever see myself going back to a Sky contract.

You cannot guarantee that will happen these days. This very thread has numerous people who had terrible offers as they went out of contract and then no attempt to win them back once they had left.
To be fair - if you're at the point where you "might as well leave anyway", just leave. Well over 6 months now without a Sky contact and not missing it one little bit.
OK, so I got a NowTV Entertainment bundle - but I paid £4.95/month for 6 months - but cannot ever see myself going back to a Sky contract.
You need to make sure your marketing preferences are set so the can contact you. If you've said 'no' to All types of contact then they legally can't! I'm pretty sure you can do this through the MySky app.

Last edited:
It’s been a week since we cancelled. We actually have a couple of weeks left to run but as a trial without Sky we’ve not used it. So far, not missed.

at what point do they send the return pack through, they said within the week when we cancelled.

It’s been a week since we cancelled. We actually have a couple of weeks left to run but as a trial without Sky we’ve not used it. So far, not missed.

at what point do they send the return pack through, they said within the week when we cancelled.
They don't usually send the packaging until after your 31 day notice period has elapsed so it'll be a couple of weeks at least most likely. It took over two months from when I cancelled Q before the returns packaging arrived so don't hold your breath.
Make sure you take a photo of the returns label with the tracking number on it and get a proof of posting if you can. Unipart, Sky's hardware returns company, are even more useless than Sky are at properly logging returns so don't be surprised if you get an email or text in a couple of months time threatening you with a hefty non-return fee, even though you've returned everything.

They don't usually send the packaging until after your 31 day notice period has elapsed so it'll be a couple of weeks at least most likely. It took over two months from when I cancelled Q before the returns packaging arrived so don't hold your breath.
Make sure you take a photo of the returns label with the tracking number on it and get a proof of posting if you can. Unipart, Sky's hardware returns company, are even more useless than Sky are at properly logging returns so don't be surprised if you get an email or text in a couple of months time threatening you with a hefty non-return fee, even though you've returned everything.
Good to know, thanks.

If only someone could produce an EPG service as slick as the SKY front end brininging in Freesat/Freeview + On demand (iPlayer/ITVX, Ch4 etc) plus easy access to Netflix/Paramount/Primer etc.... There's a decent one on AppleTV for 5 quid but as good as it is it's not quite there withthe AI integration to the other services.

Ironically all the producers starting their own streaming channels has been bad for consumers - like it or not it was much simpler to find and consume content when it was basically Sky/Netflix/iplayer.

Back
Top Bottom