*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
With that kind of spend they'll surely give you a good retention deal if you do try to leave

I wouldn’t be so sure. Mine was going up to £117.50 a month for TV only and after a lengthy and painful chat they came back with the ‘incredible deal’ of £120 per month on an 18 month contract! :p

I handed my notice in, a week or so later had a call with the win back team and they came up with £108 a month… Sky is due to go off in about 10 days. It’s madness at the moment!

Zom

Zom

Associate
I wouldn’t be so sure. Mine was going up to £117.50 a month for TV only and after a lengthy and painful chat they came back with the ‘incredible deal’ of £120 per month on an 18 month contract! :p

I handed my notice in, a week or so later had a call with the win back team and they came up with £108 a month… Sky is due to go off in about 10 days. It’s madness at the moment!
Wasn’t expecting it to be that bad. Not much of a retention offer!

Soldato
After losing access to billing once again, that's Sky's way of saying they haven't acted on what they said they were going to do and again my account had not been cancelled as promised. Instead the agent apparently had an error while cancelling and instead of processing it, they ignored it.

No confirmation email, no access to billing, no idea what was going on with the account. Had to speak to another agent who was insistent that cancelling was not possible, but then managed to cancel it, fixed the billing issues and it shows no future bills.

Nightmare to deal with. Done with Sky.

Soldato
After losing access to billing once again, that's Sky's way of saying they haven't acted on what they said they were going to do and again my account had not been cancelled as promised. Instead the agent apparently had an error while cancelling and instead of processing it, they ignored it.

No confirmation email, no access to billing, no idea what was going on with the account. Had to speak to another agent who was insistent that cancelling was not possible, but then managed to cancel it, fixed the billing issues and it shows no future bills.

Nightmare to deal with. Done with Sky.

You won't miss it, plenty of alternatives out there...

Soldato
You won't miss it, plenty of alternatives out there...
That's what finally nailed it for me. The on demand catch up services for sporting events is awful, especially for F1 which they have been the "home" of for 15 years. If I miss qualifying then I've missed it, the catch up services are not available until pretty much the next day (I use skygo a lot, sky stream is just as bad as I tried that box too). Watched more C4 coverage than Sky because the Sky coverage was not legally available on their own on demand service.

Soldato
That's what finally nailed it for me. The on demand catch up services for sporting events is awful, especially for F1 which they have been the "home" of for 15 years. If I miss qualifying then I've missed it, the catch up services are not available until pretty much the next day (I use skygo a lot, sky stream is just as bad as I tried that box too). Watched more C4 coverage than Sky because the Sky coverage was not legally available on their own on demand service.

Their product has become worse as technology has improved, it's quite remarkable really. Sky Stream is just a way for them to save money while giving you a poorer service, the pictures on sports coverage are miles behind...

Last edited:
Soldato

That's the good thing about F1 TV Pro... You watch it whenever you want unlike Sky.

Soldato

That's the good thing about F1 TV Pro... You watch it whenever you want unlike Sky.

On demand is fine for me on Sky stream and never had that issue with F1. Can watch it any time after the program has started be it 1 min, 10, mins, 30 mins, 1 hour etc.

Soldato
I had Sky Q, the worst thing for me was headlines on the Sports tab telling me the result when trying to find the highlights etc.

I've given up with F1 anyway, might as well give Verstappen the trophy now... I'll check back with F1 in 2025.

Man of Honour
I had Sky Q, the worst thing for me was headlines on the Sports tab telling me the result when trying to find the highlights etc.

I've given up with F1 anyway, might as well give Verstappen the trophy now... I'll check back with F1 in 2025.
More drama in F1 off the circuit at the minute!

Associate
Also done with Sky. Been a customer for 10+ years, got the Q box last year. Played the game every 12/18 months to get a deal around £40/month (Sports, HD, UHD, Kids) but this time best offer was over £50 and decided didn't represent good value.

What was really annoying is just how difficult they made actually cancelling. Can't do it online through the account, had to do an online chat and then speak on the phone. The agent then did something wrong and I had to call again. All a bit of a shambles. Eventually spoke to a Scottish lady who was sensible and got things sorted.

But yes not missing Sky. Happy to save £600 a year.

Soldato
On demand is fine for me on Sky stream and never had that issue with F1. Can watch it any time after the program has started be it 1 min, 10, mins, 30 mins, 1 hour etc.

Just tried Sky on demand for this weekend:

In the main "sports" category I can see FP1, no FP2, no F2 qualifying. Those were over 6 hours ago.
If I search "Formula 1" I get Styria Qualifying Highlights.
If I search "F1" it has the 2024 build up show from Sky Sports News.

Soldato
Also done with Sky. Been a customer for 10+ years, got the Q box last year. Played the game every 12/18 months to get a deal around £40/month (Sports, HD, UHD, Kids) but this time best offer was over £50 and decided didn't represent good value.

What was really annoying is just how difficult they made actually cancelling. Can't do it online through the account, had to do an online chat and then speak on the phone. The agent then did something wrong and I had to call again. All a bit of a shambles. Eventually spoke to a Scottish lady who was sensible and got things sorted.

But yes not missing Sky. Happy to save £600 a year.
Chat has been pretty good for me, certainly for cancelling. Only had to speak to them when retentions called and negotiated a new deal.

Soldato
Just tried Sky on demand for this weekend:

In the main "sports" category I can see FP1, no FP2, no F2 qualifying. Those were over 6 hours ago.
If I search "Formula 1" I get Styria Qualifying Highlights.
If I search "F1" it has the 2024 build up show from Sky Sports News.

On SkyQ or Stream?

Can see everything in my playlist.

Soldato

I had Sky Q and you had to wait before any replays were available.
It was the same when using the Sky app on my phone, so if I was at work and wanted to watch the coverage, it was live or nothing.

The F1 TV app is far more flexible.

Soldato
Sky's "winback" team could only offer me a new contract 25% higher than the one I just cancelled AFTER the price increase. They can see the account but they seem to be forced to ask "how does that sound". They'd have been better off offering to uncancel the account. Probably well within the tolerance of customers lost so far with the price increase so no need to retain others.

Soldato
We went through a massive back and forth over about a month to get them to finally honour the deal they offered us and we agreed to after they applied something much more expensive than us just continuing and not recontracting for some bizarre reason. Finally settled with no April price rise too. Really can't be bothered going through the process again next time.

Associate
My Sky Q went off towards the end of March and I received an email on Friday with an offer for Sky Stream. Gave them a call and spoke to a great advisor who offered me everything below for £85 a month...

Sky TV
Cinema (inc Paramount+)
Sky Sports
TNT Sports
Netflix Premium (4K)
UHD
Multi Room
Ad Skipping

£85 is less than I was paying when I originally signed up to Q and also less than me paying for each service separately (with the added bonus of Paramount+), so really happy with this.

I agreed to the deal Friday and the Stream boxes arrived on Saturday. Although it’s certainly still early day, first impressions have been much better than I expected.

The UI is more modern looking than Q, the boxes feel snappy and the picture quality seems better than what I had with Q too. I like that you can have separate playlists for family members, so my wife can save all her true crime stuff in her own playlist!

There’s an initial buffering period to the highest quality when switching channels, which takes 1-3 seconds. I was watching football over the weekend on the new low latency Sky Sports UHD channel which cuts the delay by 25-30 seconds compared to the standard UHD channel, while keeping the high resolution and HDR.

I'm sure that I'll miss the recording functionality (though not as much as I originally thought), but I just couldn't get them to budge from £110 for Sky Q for the same package. I suspect they're keen on getting customers on to their Stream/Glass Entertainment OS platform.

Back
Top Bottom