*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
Just given my notice

11 years (although most definitely much more)

£86 or so a month
TV, Internet, Cinema

Just getting too much.

So will look at other providers (probably Virgin?)

Unless, Sky email me with amazing offer beforehand.

If this happens?

Soldato
Just given my notice

11 years (although most definitely much more)

£86 or so a month
TV, Internet, Cinema

Just getting too much.

So will look at other providers (probably Virgin?)

Unless, Sky email me with amazing offer beforehand.

If this happens?
I only got decent offers well after the cancellation had gone through and I'd returned the equipment.

Associate
I just got sky stream, entertainment and netflix only as theres a lot on sky atlantic/box sets i want to watch. For two boxes its £25 a month which i think is reasonable. Don't have any other streaming service though. I do want to watch NFL when that starts but on sky stream thats £26 a month! I'll look out for deals on now tv nearer the time.

What is streaming smarts?

Daylight robbery!

:cry:

Associate
We're six months without Sky and loving it. So much simpler and more versatile.
After the initial outlay for a couple of Apple TV 4K boxes, the cost of our VPN, subscriptions to Max, Peacock, Disney+, Netflix & YouTube Premium give us everything we got from Sky for less than half the cost of what they would have charged, and we get it all in better quality with no ads and at the correct frame rates. Being able to sign up to these streaming services via other countries at vastly discounted rates is brilliant & so cheap. A year of Premium Disney+ for £34, a year of Max 4K ad-free for £74, a year of Peacock for £16, Netflix Premium for £10pm and YouTube Premium for £1.20pm, all comes to the equivalent of about £21.50pm. We also get Apple TV+ free for another 6 months thanks to stacking an old Sky offer with a Currys deal.
I've always felt that the £25pm mark is a good benchmark for what I'm happy to pay for a good TV service. I'm absolutely getting that without Sky.

Associate
How did you get around they payment method/country checks?
Purchase Turkish iTunes gift cards and top up the Turkish Apple ID account then setup the Disney+ account and pay the subscription via Apple. No credit card needed.
I can now log in to Disney+ without VPN on my normal UK Apple ID and it acts like a traditional UK account for a third of the price.

Man of Honour
Purchase Turkish iTunes gift cards and top up the Turkish Apple ID account then setup the Disney+ account and pay the subscription via Apple. No credit card needed.
I can now log in to Disney+ without VPN on my normal UK Apple ID and it acts like a traditional UK account for a third of the price.
I think they may have changed something, as soon as I try and sign in to Disney when using a VPN to Turkey it puts me in an error loop.

Soldato
Is there anything that offers a Sky like TV guide with live TV that can be recorded and paused?
We currently pay £28.50/month for Sky classic and we have a classic box and remote. If it goes much over £30, we'll probably cancel it and do away all together.

Bradband services are with Hyperoptic, (fttp) so wont be going with Sky for internet services ever

Associate
Due to leave in a few weeks no offers on live chat or in my email
From my experience, if you have marketing enabled they may try and make contact. Starts with phone calls from an 0800 number and then a few text messages as you approach the cancellation date and continues perhaps once a week while you're due to return equipment (if you have Sky Q).

Associate
From my experience, if you have marketing enabled they may try and make contact. Starts with phone calls from an 0800 number and then a few text messages as you approach the cancellation date and continues perhaps once a week while you're due to return equipment (if you have Sky Q).
Yeah I have marketing on .. but tbh they just want me to buy sky glass and I don't need it lol .. if we do t get a decent deal I'm happy to just sack it off

Soldato
We're six months without Sky and loving it. So much simpler and more versatile.
After the initial outlay for a couple of Apple TV 4K boxes, the cost of our VPN, subscriptions to Max, Peacock, Disney+, Netflix & YouTube Premium give us everything we got from Sky for less than half the cost of what they would have charged, and we get it all in better quality with no ads and at the correct frame rates. Being able to sign up to these streaming services via other countries at vastly discounted rates is brilliant & so cheap. A year of Premium Disney+ for £34, a year of Max 4K ad-free for £74, a year of Peacock for £16, Netflix Premium for £10pm and YouTube Premium for £1.20pm, all comes to the equivalent of about £21.50pm. We also get Apple TV+ free for another 6 months thanks to stacking an old Sky offer with a Currys deal.
I've always felt that the £25pm mark is a good benchmark for what I'm happy to pay for a good TV service. I'm absolutely getting that without Sky.
How is it simpler? I've just got sky stream and its great having everything in one place rather than having to flick between apps. I pay £25 for entertainment and netflix and one extra box, seems a good deal to me.

How much were you paying sky?

Associate
How is it simpler? I've just got sky stream and its great having everything in one place rather than having to flick between apps. I pay £25 for entertainment and netflix and one extra box, seems a good deal to me.

How much were you paying sky?
It's simpler because the Apple TV 4K box is so much faster, more versatile and reliable than the Sky Stream puck. I have control over the apps I choose to install and the subscriptions to them because there is an Apple app store. I can install a VPN, subscribe to US services using my US Apple ID and get all the content I want in the best quality possible.

Sky control everything about the Stream puck, from the OS to the UI to the apps they allows you to have. There is no app store. You can't even delete an app from a Stream puck! Also, you are still flicking between apps on a puck if you're watching a BBC show on demand then switching to an ITV show... you'll still have to wait for the iPlayer to load then ITVX to load...

I paid £22.50pm on a 31 day rolling contract for Entertainment and Netflix Premium when I had Stream. I got ad skipping and UHD/Atmos for free. I still felt that was too much for the little Sky-specific content I watched. The live channel streams were useless to me as I never watch live TV. Everything else I wanted to watch can now be gotten from other sources in better quality for less money.

If you're happy with what you pay for the service you receive then that's great. Enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom