SLEEP - when do you start, how long, and when do you get up?

Soldato
In a years time of cycling that daily you'll be an elite athlete :D Averaging 8mph is a little slow, I'm guessing youre in traffic as well?

So the cycle is broken into two parts, 12 ish miles which takes about 50 minutes and then another 3.5 ish miles which takes about 20 minutes, that's each way. The short leg is through central London on a Boris bike so hampered by traffic and the fact that I'm peddling the equivalent of a fridge-freezer, the long leg is basically country roads with a few hills and a couple of traffic lights. There's a train journey in the middle, you know, because an hour and ten minutes on the bike wasn't masochistic enough for me.

I don't want the locals to get jealous of my amazing athlete's physique so I'm balancing the cycling with copious amounts of Chinese takeaway. Damn Japanese dumplings, bane of my life, and why are the Chinese selling Japanese dumplings anyway? Madness.

Soldato
Finished at 2am this morning phone starred again a t 05:30. Still not got back to bed yet. I'll get my head down soon to start again about 6pm until 04:00 ish. Then sleep until the phone starts again

Run your own business they said...Think of the freedom to work when you want they said....yeah right.

Nothing a euromillions jackpot win wouldn't fix hey

Edit: wasnt so far off with the 4am estimate

up @9.30 for premier inn breakfast....

Last edited:
Soldato
Bed 11pm, wake up 5am and train at the gym early doors. Only time I can go without work/family/relationships conflicting. Also sets me up for the day. At weekends it's a different story.

Soldato
I'm finding myself really tired in the afternoon lately. I'm currently going to bed before 12, normally between 10 and 11. For a while now I will wake up around 5:30 and not feel tired, so get up out of bed. Sometimes my daughter wakes me up at 4AM though, which I'm not impressed with and go back to sleep for an hour or so. I must have been asleep by 10:45 last night and I woke up on my own accord at 4:30.

Soldato
Bit of a bump, but might as well use this thread over making a new one. Searched sleep threads and started reading through, what do you know, I was in this one!

Is it worth trying to sleep earlier? I just wake up silly early. One time I woke at 4:30am...

The last week I've been sleeping really badly. I get to sleep by 10:30/11pm but then wake around 4am... Or... I wake around 1am and I'm awake for a good 1½ before I sleep again. This morning, I woke around 4am... My tracker tells me I've not had more than 6 hours of sleep for about 10 days. For the last 3 or 4 days only 5 hours.

I just got a WHOOP, which I don't know how much to believe while it's in its calibrating stage (I've had it 2 days) and it's telling me I've been 80%+ recovered these last two days on 5 hours of sleep. Tbf, I've felt fine, but surely it's not all that healthy to only get 5 hours a night? (Does it get less as I get older?)

At least last night when I woke at midnight and then I think 2am, I pee'd and was able to fall right back to sleep again...

Soldato
I get sweet fa. 6 hours if I'm lucky, most nights it's 4-6, tiredness gets worse as the week goes on then catch up through day sleep at weekends. So my work suffers as the week goes on. No idea what to do about it, had it for many years. Sleep at 11pm,wake up about 2-4 times then get up at 6-7am

Associate
Shift worker here. When on days, I'm up at 0415. The night before my 1st day shift is hellish, broken, see every hour. A very common occurence amongst my colleagues. Usually in bed between 2000-2100.

I don't sleep well off nights, something I never used to struggle with. ~20 years ago, I was able to sleep in for night shift, having slept the whole day. Nowadays, I always seem to wake at 1130. After my last night shift, I'm always able to sleep longer, which is exactly what I don't want.

Soldato
For those struggling to get to sleep I'd recommend a cup of mint tea maybe 30mins to an hour before going to bed. It seems to calm my restless mind and stop my mind from over processing the day or other thoughts.

Soldato
I find the thing that makes me tired is being woken up by an alarm.
Currently trying to go to bed earlier and earlier until I reach the point of waking up naturally before the alarm goes off.
Seems like it's somewhere around 9pm to wake up before 7am.

Associate
Aim to go to sleep around 10-10:30pm, but may go to bed earlier just to chill if I've had enough of the day and then aim to be awake and out for bed for 5:50am-ish.

Due to a neighbour who thinks that 8:30pm until about 1:30am is the best time to start doing things that most normal people would do during daylight hours (even though he works similar hours to me) and me having a brain that decides it wants to go into analysis overload as soon as my head hits the pillow my sleep is pretty disrupted. Probably doesn't help that I view my life fairly negatively at the moment. Even if I can get to sleep between 10-10:30pm I more often than not wake up at 11:30pm, then 1:30am, then 3:30am and then 5:00am at which point I give up. Genuinely feel sorry for my alarm clock, I think it has actually been allowed to do its job once since Christmas. Sleep or even a quick nap during the day has been out of the question since I was about ten years old.

Associate
I don't get enough sleep. About 4 and half hours.

Every morning I wake up feeling like crap, and tell myself I'll get an early night, but night time comes around and I'm up.

The reason I stay up late is if I go to bed early it'll feel like all I do is work as I'd only have a couple of hours before bed.

Soldato
Bit of a night owl but these days in bed usually between 10pm to 10:30, occasionally 11. I'm usually ready to get out of bed 6:30am to 7. As I've aged I've become a two shift sleeper which apparently used to be normal, a few centuries ago :). Occasionally I can't fall asleep for the second shift however although that's rare for me.
https://www.sciencealert.com/humans...gain?msclkid=b0249e89bce211ec9b600ce457e7bfe1

I've had sleep paralysis before when going back to sleep. That's weird.

Soldato
a lot of the time 9pm on a work night ,read my kindle and out like a light ,however i am rubbish at getting back to sleep if i wake at say 2.30am .rise early even when i dont need to 5.30am work morning maybe 6.30 to 7.30 non work morning

Back
Top Bottom