Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Please stop. I shouldn't be spending any more money...

Mind you, one thing is the size. My Skagen Falster 2 (which I believe is basically the same as the Gen 4) is quite small anyway, so perhaps not much difference there?
Ha, I know. I'm the same. But I think I might have to pick up a Gen 5 with dark leather strap...

Soldato
I reviewed my mates S3 Frontier, so granted it's a little old tech now (Nov 2017), but that HRM really wasn't very good compared to other HRM including the type at the gym you mention. Have they specifically improved them now?

Just a point on this, the Gear S3 used 2 x green LEDs & 1 x photodiodes for hear rate monitoring. The Galaxy Watch uses 1 x green LED & 4 x photodiodes.

Seems like most watches that give accurate HR readings use multiple photodiodes. The Galaxy Watch Active 2 has 8 photodiodes :eek:

Soldato
Accidentally damaged my ticwatch pro and can now see visible very deep grazes on the screen. Very annoying. Now looking at what to get next but so torn between the Fossil gen 5 and Watch Active 2 (I've got the note 10 and tab s6 on pre order).

So lost, wouldnt mind continuing with wear os but this one does lag hard sometimes and I suspect despite the progress made on the hardware the fossil still isn't there yet. Tempted by the active 2 despite the apparent software limitations on apps (being forced to use Samsung's version of every app function) and will miss the voice activated ok Google from assistant as I'm full Google home.

Associate
Is the galaxy watch the one to get then? I've just switched from apple to Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and would like a watch to go with it. Any other suggestions would be great. :cool:

Soldato
Is the galaxy watch the one to get then? I've just switched from apple to Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and would like a watch to go with it. Any other suggestions would be great. :cool:

On the non Apple side it is either a Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Watch Active 2 which both run tizen os which works best when using Samsung apps on phone (literally same features as the Galaxy Watch, but imo a better design and a haptic feedback rotating bezel rather than a physical one) or a fossil gen 5 that runs wear os which works best when using Google apps on phone, but wear os is known for sluggishness. This gen 5 watch is an improvement on usual wear os watches with it being the highest spec one.

I'm trying to decide but think I've settled and I'm going to go with the Samsung galaxy watch active 2 for my Note 10 plus. I currently have a ticwatch pro running wear os.

Soldato
I have had my 46mm galaxy watch from early December, I only have to charge once ever 5 days, it does my samsung health requirements and all the other usual stuff most android watches can do. I wouldn't change it for any other watch now having come from regular mechanical watches and thinking I wouldn't get on with the GW.

Associate
Got my self a 46mm Galaxy watch today, so far so good. I'm not a massive fitness guy so this watch is perfect for me. 5 days battery life sounds good but I'll be happy with 2-3 days tbh.

Soldato
Have the active 2 44mm coming on the 20th September with EE. Looking forward to having a smartwatch. The 46mm galaxy watch felt a bit big to me so hopefully with the smaller bezel and smaller size it'll feel alright.

Associate
My 7 month old Fossil gen 4's outer charging ring has decided to fall out. It seems from a search it isn't an uncommon problem, has anyone else had this?

Not impressed as I look after my stuff well and it hasn't been exposed to water or even much sweat in the time I've had it.

I was considering the gen 5 before this happened but it looks like it has the same charging design. Can anyone who's had both confirm if it's exactly the same?

Soldato
My 7 month old Fossil gen 4's outer charging ring has decided to fall out. It seems from a search it isn't an uncommon problem, has anyone else had this?

Not impressed as I look after my stuff well and it hasn't been exposed to water or even much sweat in the time I've had it.

I was considering the gen 5 before this happened but it looks like it has the same charging design. Can anyone who's had both confirm if it's exactly the same?

The same thing has happened to my Gen 4 tonight. My Gen 3 was replaced because it kept rebooting and now this

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Looks like I will be getting the new Fenix 6, battery life looks amazing especially on the solar edition.

Think this might be the model that replaces my 3HR but I need sapphire glass with work, may even wait to see what the Tactix Delta looks like

Soldato
Ordered the Samsung Active Watch 2 yesterday (44mm) 4G Version on EE, no idea what to expect as the only wearable i've ever had is a simple £25 band fitness tracker, heads ups on whats god to get on it or if you can even add extra apps etc..? :D

Soldato
It does seem like Fossil can be hit and miss with quality, which is annoying as I find their smart watches the best looking

Agreed.

I've contacted Ernest Jones where I purchased both my Gen 3 and 4.
They've agreed to give me a full refund, although I paid with vouchers so will get vouchers back.

That wouldn't be so bad if they sold the Gen 5 but alas not.

Back
Top Bottom