Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Man of Honour
Simply yes you can have the same number on more than one sim

There are services that will allow one number to be used with different SIMs but that doesn't work for data - there are plans (though VF have pulled most of those though I think EE still does) that allow for shared data with different SIMs but AFAIK you can't just use 2 identical SIMs even ESIM - when a device connects with one it will knock the other out and can take hours before any one device is registered on the network.

Man of Honour
[ @Rroff I was thinking about this recent thread Apple Watch LTE get phone service from my wife’s contract?
which broached the shared sim scenario and I had subsequently read this primer https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/when-will-apple-watch-3-lte-come-three-3664187/
]

Yeah you can have two different SIMs (or ESIM) that one telephone number connects to using a service on EE's backend but you can't clone the same SIM currently to use concurrently the same full phone and data service between two or more devices. You can have data sharing plans that use two different SIMs but I don't think currently any network supports sharing the same number with them though I assume EE technically has that capibility - all a bit confusing.

Man of Honour
Cheers for info, I think the Bluetooth version will be all I need (and less hassle). :)

I'd be tempted to throw in a cheap data SIM personally for the extra functionality unless I was sure I was always in range of my phone.

Although I bought a fully stand alone smartwatch and never use it because it isn't very comfortable but it is a fair bit heavier than the Huawei Watch 2 and has a traditional formal style strap which doesn't support it well on the wrist given the additional weight over a normal watch.

Soldato
So the latest Wear OS update has really breathed life into my LG Watch Sport (I'm still not a fan of the hardware itself, more on that later).

The watch is much more responsive overall and I like the improved navigation and notifications, I've not tested the Assistant yet but I've heard that's more responsive. I paid for some food at Yo Sushi! earlier and found Google Pay fired up almost instantly.

My gripes with this particular watch is now/still:
  • The digital crown can still be pushed in when doing push ups for example, if wearing on your left wrist (which you will, if you're right handed)
  • The size - I can't get a shirt cuff over it
I would much rather have a rotating bezel and I'm not sure why Samsung are the only ones using these for interaction? Is this patented to Samsung alone? I could have swore there was an article saying there was code within Android that adds native support for rotating bezels. Hmmm.

My gripes with Wear OS are now:
  • Google Fit - Tracking a run or any workout is to me, a basic requirement. I should be able start a run or workout after selecting another work out or target to compete against, with audio feedback to make me aware of how I'm doing. That comparison could be against my own PB, the last workout I did, a friend's workout or a defined target such as pace. I'm pretty sure Apple has this in their software?
I'm more confident about the platform now as I think this new version, along with the new Qualcomm chip could really improve things as long as there are nice looking watching housing it all. I was disappointed with the Qualcomm announcement at first because it was more about battery life than speed, but again, the new software has really improved the speed of my 2100 based watch.

The upcoming Hauwei GT Watch looks nice to my eye, but still need to understand the differences between the sport and non-sport model. Do you know what would be a great idea? Why don't manufacturers make a nice watch with a charging port built into the side of the device, where the connection could be water sealed? That way if you wanted to do sports, they could supply an additional 500mAh battery that sits within an forearm band with a short wire that connects to the watch whilst you're wearing it.

Soldato
So the latest Wear OS update has really breathed life into my LG Watch Sport (I'm still not a fan of the hardware itself, more on that later).

The watch is much more responsive overall and I like the improved navigation and notifications, I've not tested the Assistant yet but I've heard that's more responsive. I paid for some food at Yo Sushi! earlier and found Google Pay fired up almost instantly.

My gripes with this particular watch is now/still:
  • The digital crown can still be pushed in when doing push ups for example, if wearing on your left wrist (which you will, if you're right handed)
  • The size - I can't get a shirt cuff over it
I would much rather have a rotating bezel and I'm not sure why Samsung are the only ones using these for interaction? Is this patented to Samsung alone? I could have swore there was an article saying there was code within Android that adds native support for rotating bezels. Hmmm.

My gripes with Wear OS are now:
  • Google Fit - Tracking a run or any workout is to me, a basic requirement. I should be able start a run or workout after selecting another work out or target to compete against, with audio feedback to make me aware of how I'm doing. That comparison could be against my own PB, the last workout I did, a friend's workout or a defined target such as pace. I'm pretty sure Apple has this in their software?
I'm more confident about the platform now as I think this new version, along with the new Qualcomm chip could really improve things as long as there are nice looking watching housing it all. I was disappointed with the Qualcomm announcement at first because it was more about battery life than speed, but again, the new software has really improved the speed of my 2100 based watch.

The upcoming Hauwei GT Watch looks nice to my eye, but still need to understand the differences between the sport and non-sport model. Do you know what would be a great idea? Why don't manufacturers make a nice watch with a charging port built into the side of the device, where the connection could be water sealed? That way if you wanted to do sports, they could supply an additional 500mAh battery that sits within an forearm band with a short wire that connects to the watch whilst you're wearing it.

https://www.chooseblocks.com/

Only 5 blocks out as yet.

Soldato
rotating bezel and its mechanics(magnetic?) are taking up space, that could be used for a bigger screen, whilst they are probably more resilient(esp waterproof) than buttons, buttons are more postitve/easy to manipulate especially in a pool - even whilst running ? or sets ?

with audio feedback to make me aware of how I'm doing
does this functionality exist ? with some reasonable way of cummincating a target or pace ?
as opposed to looking at pace on a watch, or, maybe, having some colours to indicate ahead or behind pace. ... I need to read up

https://www.chooseblocks.com/support
Is BLOCKS waterproof?
BLOCKS is water and dust resistant, which means that washing your hands, sweat or rain will not damage the device.
However, due to the dynamic connectors, it is strongly recommended to avoid showering, swimming or submerging your device.
not sure I understand their excuse - suunto watches have a waterproof five pin electrical conenction, you hook up for recharge and quick data transfer via usb.

Soldato
rotating bezel and its mechanics(magnetic?) are taking up space, that could be used for a bigger screen, whilst they are probably more resilient(esp waterproof) than buttons, buttons are more postitve/easy to manipulate especially in a pool - even whilst running ? or sets ?

does this functionality exist ? with some reasonable way of cummincating a target or pace ?
as opposed to looking at pace on a watch, or, maybe, having some colours to indicate ahead or behind pace. ... I need to read up

It does exist yeah. You could in theory say it's not needed as it tells you the pace of your last x distance, but what if you target negative splits?

I had the Sony SSE-BTR1 earphones and they were incredible. You could set target heart rates for example and they would change the music to a faster tempo song if you needed to get your heart rate up and conversely, they could change to a slower song if you needed to slow down.

You could transfer any music you wanted onto them and a service would find their tempo rating via this online database, so it wasn't just predefined tracks that came with them.

They measured heart rate, elevation (built in barometric altimeter), digital compass, gyroscope for cadence and GPS. In fact the only downside to them was the sound quality was poor, it was hard to get a correct fit as there were 9 different fits (3 different sized ear buds and three different sized HR sensor covers) and it was a pain having to load music locally.

The sound quality issue and the fact I stream my music via Google Play Music was the reason I bought the LG Watch Sport and some Bose SoundSport Free wireless IEMs. The sound quality is certainly better and I love the fact I can stream random playlists generated by GPM, but the fitness tracking is just basic. Ironic considering it's branded as a sports watch.

Soldato
It does exist yeah.
best pacing stategy seems to be below style like runkeeper ? not sure if that is available on the LG
I had heard of the modifying music playback speed .. but don't listen to music, I infer that capability is not yet available on LG

some google searching on S3 'customizable pace coaching' did not show me any audio capability,
but I suppose there is not much you can communciate with 'beeps', and it appears, for s3 anyway, speaker is not really effective to hear on the run.

44200105555_c0249939f8_o_d.jpg

Soldato
So supposedly, the Huawei GT watch runs proprietary software and not Wear OS - hopefully this isn't true but I guess we'll find out this week.

Honestly - if this doesn't run Wear OS then there's literally nothing Wear OS wise that has been announced?! I'm not counting the fashion brands because they're usually form over function and ridiculously priced.

Also that LG W7 watch is just stupid so that doesn't count either. I can't think of anyone else left to announce a decent Wear OS watch? That's Samsung, LG and Huawei out of the frame. Xiaomi tend to focus on the lower end, and Asus never seem to get it right. Surely anything being released before Christmas would have been announced by now?

Soldato
So supposedly, the Huawei GT watch runs proprietary software and not Wear OS - hopefully this isn't true but I guess we'll find out this week.

Honestly - if this doesn't run Wear OS then there's literally nothing Wear OS wise that has been announced?! I'm not counting the fashion brands because they're usually form over function and ridiculously priced.

Also that LG W7 watch is just stupid so that doesn't count either. I can't think of anyone else left to announce a decent Wear OS watch? That's Samsung, LG and Huawei out of the frame. Xiaomi tend to focus on the lower end, and Asus never seem to get it right. Surely anything being released before Christmas would have been announced by now?

The ride was nice while it lasted.
I may get a Huawei 2 with eSim for back up :)

Last edited:
Soldato

i can see why! in my honest opinion having used tizen and wear OS I'd say that WEAROS Is way behind tizen even on basic things! it's shocking how rubbish it is and how unpolished it is.

the only reason people still aim to get wearOS watches is due to app store and developer support.

for e.g. TIZEN poops all over wearOS at everything bar app choice and from my personal pov I couldn't care less about apps.

Soldato
i can see why! in my honest opinion having used tizen and wear OS I'd say that WEAROS Is way behind tizen even on basic things! it's shocking how rubbish it is and how unpolished it is.

the only reason people still aim to get wearOS watches is due to app store and developer support.

for e.g. TIZEN poops all over wearOS at everything bar app choice and from my personal pov I couldn't care less about apps.

I agree that Tizen is better. But it's got no android pay and my bank does not support Samsung pay.
And the apps on tizen are crap.

Soldato
I agree that Tizen is better. But it's got no android pay and my bank does not support Samsung pay.
And the apps on tizen are crap.
As someone suggested earlier in the thread, Starling bank is an app only bank that supports Samsung pay. I applied, got an account in minutes and a card in a few days. Works fine with Samsung Pay!

Soldato
As someone suggested earlier in the thread, Starling bank is an app only bank that supports Samsung pay. I applied, got an account in minutes and a card in a few days. Works fine with Samsung Pay!

Yes I know about Starling bank. I have enough bank accounts with adding to them.
And there is no getting past tizen apps are mostly crap. Yes I've had a tizen watch.

My LG Watch Sport international version, will last a few more years :)

Soldato
As far as I'm aware, you can't stream music from Spotify on the Galaxy Watch through LTE? It seems like you have to setup an offline playlist before going out? This is my main issue with Tizen; I'm required to switch services because GPM obviously isn't available on the Tizen platform but switching will impact my other devices. For example: I like how GPM works through Android Auto and I have no idea how well Spotify works.

Soldato
Still rocking my Gear 3 Frontier for the last year and still loving it. The software updates just keeps it fresh and in all honesty the new Samsung watch is just a slight cosmetic change withe the same software (down to the new watch face that Samsung included in the last update) that I have no reason to upgrade at all

Soldato
Hi all
Does anyone have the galaxy watch? If so any ideas why the always on is not working, I have tried it with the default watch face and one I got from the app store that supports the Aod setting.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom