Smoking should be BANNED!

Associate
• On average 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured each year in drink drive collisions.
http://www.drinkdrivingfacts.com/drinkdriving/drink_driving_facts.aspx

•3000 nonsmokers die every year from lung cancer caused by ETS
http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/secondhandsmoke/a/secondhandsmoke.htm

Whilst the numbers are even, that's just drink drivers. It's not including people who have been attacked in alcohol related violence, property that has been damaged in alcohol related debauchery, or anything else.

I drink, and I smoke, but I don't believe you can condone one without condoning the other.

The second link is based on US facts while the first is information from the UK, which would suggest the number on average is much smaller in the UK for second hand smokers.

I drink occasionally and smoke very occasionally (usually when I've been drinking) but I think neither are admirable habits.

Soldato
With cigarettes really just being a dispenser for nicotine so people can feed their addiction.
Why cant they develope a smoke free dispenser but keep the amonia and freebase nicotine as some sort rechargeable inhaler device (Tom Cruise - Minority Report).

Would solve the smoke problem at least...

Soldato
Nope it's not. It might as well be someone smearing faeces in our faces.. Which is why we want it changed so it is illegal.

Another flawed argument.

Comparing smoking to somebody rubbing faeces in your face has to be the most bizzare analogy I have ever heard.

Smoking in the streets has a negligible affect on you even if you are close to them and if you are worried about the health implications or smell/taste then use your choice and move away.

Soldato
There really is no defence for why smoking should not be banned.

Compare it to other 'bad' things as much as you like. Doesn't really justify it.

Associate
I hate smokeing and more to the point the disgusting smell it gives off ! .. its unbelievable how quickly it gets into your clothes/hair and then you can't get rid of it :(. Ban it indefinately.

Soldato
Where will the extra government revenue come from though?

I'll read through the rest of this thread later but this^ echoes my initial thoughts.

A brief glimpse through this page alone gets a large scale "lol".
Ban smoking because we don't like it and it smells bad. Great justification! :D

(Non-smoker, happy with the revenue it brings in to the UK though.)

Last edited:
Soldato
Again. What you eat isn't going to affect the person next to you. Unless your really obese and are on a plane in economy. Then it's just a nuisance.

I personally find fat people gorging Mcdonalds, etc, hideous and disgusting. They also take up more room in lines, restaurants and weigh far more than I do on flights.
They should be banned or taxed more. ;)

Back
Top Bottom