• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Snapdragon X Elite Reviews

Associate
There are many of us who jumped into much earlier release of Windows on Arm. I have the excellent Lenovo Thinkpad X13s laptop - picked up new in the UK for a paltry £400. This is an excellent laptop - it has great screen, superb keyboard, and very lightweight design (1kg in weight). It also has 5G which is brilliant.

So what's the deal with ARM and Windows. Not much to worry about - but there are some gotchas. All the mainstream stuff works just fine (I am a business user, I don't play games). You have to make some minor compromises:

- VPN - there is only one client I could get to work - this requires you use OpenVPN formats and these are available from most VPN vendors (I have 2 and both had these). The UI is ugly, but it works. Alternatively you can run many VPN as plugins to your browser - these work and are more pretty.

- G Drive - you have to purchase a 3rd party app to get this to work. I chose Insync - and honestly it works better than G Drive does! Plus it works on more than Google.

Really old software (I use a task bar launcher) - it failed. No solution until I found 'Superlauncher' app which gives me a good work around solution.

Everything else just works, all my browsers and Office 365 are native ARM, so not much to worry about. All of my other weird software works, and honestly I can't tell the difference.

Battery life - a solid 7-8 hours with brightness at 75-80% running mobile 5G connection and bluetooth mouse. Most important statistic is 5.1w of power consumption on Windows 11 after the boot process and Windows scans are complete. This means 'all day battery' is practical. The battery is 49.5 Wh so not huge.

I want to stress something - this machine is fanless. It has no 'power save mode'. Performance on battery is the same as off battery. So I benchmarked this versus my ASUS Zenbook with Intel 1340P. This little laptop is quicker on battery mode than if I use the Zenbook on battery. The Zenbook can achieve similar run times, but is basically crippled to do so. The Lenovo just operates the same way as powered up.

I found a little trick. I lifted the back of the laptop 0.75cm with added black rubber feet. This allows air under the laptop and makes hardly any difference to machine use. This trick has the machine running cold vs slightly warm if the thing is flat on the table. Do this for a better performing machine - costs a couple of £...

Linux - totally different story to Windows. Very hard to find a distro that works, latest non official build for X13S from an Ubuntu software engineer works but with some issues. You have to work hard to solve the issues and even then you have this left: no working camera, finger print reader only works on 23.04 or lower, camera does not work, audio is too quiet on speakers, and the architecture is not fully optimised. However, I can run Ubuntu 24.04 with KDE frontend (bit of a ball ache to install to be honest) and it looks great. Gotcha with the 5G is you have to send some initiation codes (no one tells you this...) but it does eventually work. With 24.04 Linux matches Windows 11 with 5.3w of power consumption. Browsers work a bit faster, but you have less choice: Brave / Chromium / Vivaldi or Firefox. Firefox runs like a dog. Brave / Chromium have best Speedometer scores just peaking at around 10 (on battery). Some runs I have 11 out of Chromium. I am honestly impressed with my 'nearly' build of Linux - but it took many more hours than Windows 11 to set up and the benefits are marginal over Windows.

So, is Windows on Arm 'new'? No. Is Windows on Arm viable? Yes. Are these devices good on battery - well yes, they use much less power than a X86 laptop (typically 9-10w of power use in my experience). So with my X13s it is realistic to run a whole day with mixed use and good screen brightness. I will for sure get a Snapdragon Elite (or Plus), but I will wait to see which one has optimised their hardware first. Windows 11 ARM is good, but there are a few niggles (explained above). If I was a gamer - not on my buy list... If I want a good business laptop with great battery life, this is the future for Windows just like it was for Apple. ARM fundamentally uses less power than X86 which is a very old architecture that should have been retired 5 years ago. So they squeeze more power from a poor CPU design due to miniaturisation, but not great innovation. ARM is RISC, X86 is CISC computing. This really matters, and industry has known this for decades in bigger computer technology.

I jumped into ARM as an experiment, and this is now my favourite machine (I have a 12th Gen Lenovo and a 13th Gen Asus). I go out with the X13S - it is the best road machine. I use the other 2 on power as desktop machines (and both are better and faster than the X13s in that mode). Best screen = ASUS Zenbook OLED, but my Lenovo 12th Gen is an OLED Thinkbook, it is good too (but no touch / protective glass cover). My X13S has a bright matt screen - lower res (1920x1200) - but it is great for 'out and about' use with less reflections and better in sun performance.

I wrote this on Brave, Ubuntu Linux ARM64, on the X13s. My battery is 75% charged and I have estimated 7hrs remaining, brightness is at 67%, running Wifi and Bluetooth. Mobile is turned off.

Associate
So essentially the Snapdragon is almost on the exact same power/performance curve as Intel and AMD's offerings

And essentially depending on the implementation by the manufacturer, the efficiency can end up being exactly the same as AMD/Intel Laptops
Indeed - or at least it is once you wind the wick up. That's why I'm waiting for LL and AL before buying a new thin-n-light laptop this year.

Associate
Power consumption varies by task. Many of these benchmarks are totally unrepresentative of real world usage. These also distort how a computer may be tuned to use energy.

Here's some simple things to think about - is your machine 'warm' or 'cold' during use. Cold = low heat dissipation = lower energy use. My X13S is cold, it only gets warm during battery charging (note my prior comment on the feet at the back).

Look at general power consumption during use - Battery Meter Pro (Windows) or in Linux KDE interface the battery meter can show you power curves. Actual power consumed defines real world battery life. So simply divide the battery size by the power draw, and you'll get a rough battery life - mine is roughly 8.5 hours in the way I use the machine. But when I let it sleep, doze, or do nothing with it it jumps to 20+ hours (so what, it is basically in suspend mode = useless except if you use that a lot in the day).

The hardware implementation / design is everything! Look at the variance in X86 run times. Fans need power, screen needs power (more pixels = more power, OLED = more power). So each manufacturer trades off the critical components with the power draw. Hence you see 70+ Wh batteries = longer run times.

Personally I can't stand a screen at 150 nits (dim as hell) but most of these absurd 'professional benchmarks' do that. Running a video for 12 hours at 150 nits = not real life usage for most laptops. Unless you are on a plane crossing the Atlantic...

If benchmarks were 80% screen brightness, with a more representative workload, then we'd see a very different story. I've owned Mac Air and Mac Pro (M1s) and they do last longer, but not if you run Windows on them (alas can't run it native, so the power draw is much higher). Right now Apple technology with their 'closed wall' environment is the best laptop for power / battery efficiency, and the Snapdragon Elite is the first ARM challenger to them. But they've had many iterations to debug and optimise. Give Qualcomm 18 months and they too will be close to Apple.Today, power per watt I doubt Apple will be beat. But I don't see a X86 chip ever challenging them, so only ARM vs ARM will get there...

Soldato
OP
So essentially the Snapdragon is almost on the exact same power/performance curve as Intel and AMD's offerings

And essentially depending on the implementation by the manufacturer, the efficiency can end up being exactly the same as AMD/Intel Laptops
Reviews based on day-to-day/real usage show a different picture, especially on-battery.

I mean his review shows better or equal performance, then says they are quieter and cooler than equivalent Intel and AMD laptops. These are also newly released products so no doubt they'll improve over time.

Also, how does the M3 Pro have half the PPW of the base M3 with only 3 more cores?

Soldato
had a look at the surface laptop in the MS store and the build quality and finish are really good, up there with apple products and way better than my work thinkpad p14s. The store only had a few apps but they opened instantly, way faster than the work laptop. Felt like the cpu clocked high instantly and it had a fast SSD. So limited native apps felt more snappy in a way than my 7800x3d home pc as well.

Associate
had a look at the surface laptop in the MS store and the build quality and finish are really good, up there with apple products and way better than my work thinkpad p14s. The store only had a few apps but they opened instantly, way faster than the work laptop. Felt like the cpu clocked high instantly and it had a fast SSD. So limited native apps felt more snappy in a way than my 7800x3d home pc as well.
The SL7 build is Mac like, it’s very good. League ahead of an x1 carbon I have here.

It’s incredibly snappy, maybe because like macs, it has the power there ready at all times on battery. Feels snappier on battery than my desktop PCs. Glad I went with the Plus variant, elite seems a waste of money unless you needs the extra cores, but I don’t see why someone would buy ultra thin laptops for heavy multicore use like rendering anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably the most fair battery review out so far trying to remove human error.

Not bad considering the SL has a much smaller battery.

Last edited:
Associate
Reviews based on day-to-day/real usage show a different picture, especially on-battery.
Actually using the device is great, to the point where I don't understand some of the reviews I've seen. My Surface Pro gets through a work day easily whereas my SP9 wouldn't get close. I can watch youtube without the fans spinning up, it wakes up instantly and it is much quicker in use. Handling large pdfs is incredible in comparison. Hopefully the next gen of x86 products are the same. However, that has been promised often in the past and I have this in my hand now.

Last edited:
Associate
Actually using the device is great, to the point where I don't understand some of the reviews I've seen. My Surface Pro gets through a work day easily whereas my SP9 wouldn't get close. I can watch youtube without the fans spinning up, it wakes up instantly and it is much quicker in use. Handling large pdfs is incredible in comparison. Hopefully the next gen of x86 products are the same. However, that has been promised often in the past and I have this in my hand now.
This is my view. I don’t understand the reviews, it's excellent for its intended use. As an example reviewers have a habit of saying M1/M2 performance is terrible because M3 is here, when a year ago it was excellent. When in reality the performance is very good.

Maybe the Microsoft products are that much better than the other snapdragon brands.

Last edited:
Associate
We'll know a bit more once all of the drivers and Windows itself is in a less beta state as that would reveal any major flaws.

So far it seems like a really good attempt - hopefully they're more of an AMD, who seem to have a clear vision and roadmap for their Zen platform, and less of an Intel.
Yep, they need to be building on this like AMD and Apple where each generation is improved upon in a reasonable way, always look for IPC improvements and improve the nm of the chips whenever new ones come out

if they keep this up that could be great for everyone

Associate
Lunar Lake will stop them from becoming complacent in the Windows laptop space. And Apple silicon will remain the standard against which they will be ultimately judged. Also seems Nvidia, Mediatek and Samsung want a slice of the pie once the MS/Qualcomm deal expires next year, so that'll keep them on their toes.

Still, looks like QC are working on it: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...poses-qualcomms-roadmap-with-v2-and-v3-models
what we like to see! have to wait and see on the improvements but hopefully 10%+ IPC improvements and with other changes a bigger % increase in performance overall

Associate
what we like to see! have to wait and see on the improvements but hopefully 10%+ IPC improvements and with other changes a bigger % increase in performance overall
TBH, once the software is polished (also more apps ported) and the GPU drivers improved, I think they will be pretty solid. For future revisions, I'd like them to concentrate on improving battery life even more and improving thermals - so, like Apple, they can have their chips deployed in completely fanless systems.

Soldato
Intel have a LOT of work to do to get the same power efficiency

I wonder how well ARM SoCs will do when they lose their node advantage. Apple and others have enjoyed TSMC and other's advanced nodes but it's slowing down and bring desktop more in line with mobile parts. TSMCs is rumoured to now be behind Intel in the development of under 3nm nodes and Samsung's 3nm node is rumoured to be in trouble too https://wccftech.com/samsung-3nm-gaa-yields-less-than-20-percent-bad-news-for-exynos-2500/

Soldato
OP
I wonder how well ARM SoCs will do when they lose their node advantage. Apple and others have enjoyed TSMC and other's advanced nodes but it's slowing down and bring desktop more in line with mobile parts. TSMCs is rumoured to now be behind Intel in the development of under 3nm nodes and Samsung's 3nm node is rumoured to be in trouble too https://wccftech.com/samsung-3nm-gaa-yields-less-than-20-percent-bad-news-for-exynos-2500/
I think Intel got dibs on the new machines from that one company who makes them, so with their new sites coming online and the fab advantage, they should be in a position to produce some interesting tech and at scale.

I will, however, remain sceptical until Intel actually deliver.

Back
Top Bottom