• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Snapdragon X Elite Reviews

Windows has always had a problem with connectivity, i can connect anything to my phone through Bluetooth with no effort in about 10 seconds.

Trying to connect my phone to my Windows desktop, even through USB half the time it inexplicably doesn't work at all, and Bluetooth.... first it makes a right meal of getting to a point where you can pair them and then it pretends it can't see it most of the time, when it does eventually connect it throws that connection the moment you try to transfer any data and then pretend the device never existed.

Trying to get it to behave with anything that isn't inside the Microsoft eco system is like pulling teeth without anastatic. Windows behaves like a petulant child, why is this so difficult for Microsoft?

Last edited:
half the software in their list is pointless for a slim laptop like this. No-one is buying one of these to run blender or cinebench or other "benchmark" software
The SL7 is a cracking laptop for general use and office work. Fast and great battery life. Don't see the point in a thin and light for heavy tasks.

Its basically become a shopping channel for hardware its lost all objectivity. Fine if you've nothing better to do than watch hours of shopping channel content for everyone else... look elsewhere.

I watched a few of his videos some time ago and realised the chap had no clue what he was talking about. Oddly his channel gets recommended to me for some reason.

I watched a few of his videos some time ago and realised the chap had no clue what he was talking about. Oddly his channel gets recommended to me for some reason.
He's a presenter now, he doesn't write anything, so whether he has a clue or not really doesn't matter. LTT is now just the BuzzFeed of tech, with about the same level of staffers employed to churn out videos to a schedule.

From the same channel.

Power efficiency is the same as the Qualcomm laptops. they perform just as good, but because they are using X86 everything works, you don't have to deal with software compatibility, you don't have to deal with software not working, the integrated graphics are better, the NPU is better.
So this leaves this whole Snapdragon thing you're been hearing about over the last couple of weeks.... other than the quality of the Surface laptop i can't see a reason for these Snapdragon laptop's to exist.

This was inevitable, all Qualcomm ever did was compare them to Intel, ignoring AMD completely, of course they did, Intel are not AMD, these new Ryzen 300 series APU's are way better than Intel latest and greatest, they are just as good as Qualcomm or better in any measure, and they are X86.

I would say that Microsoft must be kicking them selves right now but i think they knew this was going to happen, they seem to have a weird anti-AMD stance when it comes to their own in house MacBook equivalent Laptop's, no one else has what seems snobbishness and with that i hope these Surface Laptop's sit collecting dust.

The new AMD chips seem to have pretty much taken away whatever lead Snapdragon had, with a better GPU and none of the hassle of ARM. Pricing seems to be very premium though so far.
Not really, they are for different use cases. AMD still cant compete with battery/power/efficiently in the ultra light office market which Snapdragon is aimed at. I expected AMD to compete with standby battery too but it didnt. They are very close, but not there yet. From the reviews I have seen, AMD power efficiency is competing when running high work loads, SD are no different at them workloads, but at lower work loads with is what SD is aimed at AMD cant compete yet. When its up against the like of the Surface book 7, it cant compete on battery per wh. There is also a review showing how much snappier the SD is over the new AMD too. Its not as clear cut as some make it seem

Im going to get one of these new AMD laptops to test against the SD.

Snappiness video below.

Last edited:
Not really, they are for different use cases. AMD still cant compete with battery/power/efficiently in the ultra light office market which Snapdragon is aimed at. I expected AMD to compete with standby battery too but it didnt. They are very close, but not there yet. From the reviews I have seen, AMD power efficiency is competing when running high work loads, SD are no different at them workloads, but at lower work loads with is what SD is aimed at AMD cant compete yet. When its up against the like of the Surface book 7, it cant compete on battery per wh.

People don't sit with their screen open and doing nothing but watching low resolution Youtube, that's a very specific use case that no one does and Yotubers who followed this sort of review direction are doing Qualcomm marketing, Linus.

If you use them as you normally would day to day they are no better if not worse than AMD's Laptop's, Only because they are X86 they actually work, AMD have put this whole ARM vs X86 argument to bed, no its not any more efficient. Its nothing to do with ARM vs X86, its about how you design and build those architectures and AMD are not Intel.

People don't sit with their screen open and doing nothing but watching low resolution Youtube, that's a very specific use case that no one does and Yotubers who followed this sort of review direction are doing Qualcomm marketing, Linus.

If you use them as you normally would day to day they are no better if not worse than AMD's Laptop's, Only because they are X86 they actually work, AMD have put this whole ARM vs X86 argument to bed, no its not any more efficient. Its nothing to do with ARM vs X86, its about how you design and build those architectures and AMD are not Intel.
I'm not comparing ARM vs X86 I don't care about that, I'm looking at it from real world usage and as an overall product.

People buying an ultra light are not sitting the loading up all the cores all the time either. The snappiness of the SD seems hugely ahead and will make a big difference if you're constantly in office docs and emails all day. Maybe that's down to the faster ST SD offers, but the loading difference seems more than just ST speed. For office/light usage, AMD still cant compete with SD on battery life according to the reviews. Especially the SL7.

I understand low resolution is almost pointless, however here is a 4k youtube run at 40% brightness and the SL7 SD is leagues ahead, even on a significantly smaller battery. Its doesn't count for everything, but it does for something.

peNfcmo.jpeg

Webcam and mics are still way ahead on SD due to its signal processing, again better for the products intended purpose.

As for "they actually work" again for its intended purpose. I use X86 and SD laptops all day Mon-Fri and Iv had zero issues with the SD and software support on an office environment, even emulating programs such as adobe etc.

I will get one of these AMD laptops in and compare. From the details we have so far, its not cut and dry. AMD have made an amazing CPU no doubt. By no means have they killed SD, yet!

This a great though, companies driving each other to produce better products for us.

Last edited:

I’ve said for years, Windows is no place for ARM. Windows is hardly a place for X86.

If people can’t use Linux they should not use ARM. If you want a ARM processor for some reason, Apple is the place for you.

Last edited:
I'm not comparing ARM vs X86 I don't care about that, I'm looking at it from real world usage and as an overall product.

People buying an ultra light are not sitting the loading up all the cores all the time either. The snappiness of the SD seems hugely ahead and will make a big difference if you're constantly in office docs and emails all day. Maybe that's down to the faster ST SD offers, but the loading difference seems more than just ST speed. For office/light usage, AMD still cant compete with SD on battery life according to the reviews. Especially the SL7.

I understand low resolution is almost pointless, however here is a 4k youtube run at 40% brightness and the SL7 SD is leagues ahead, even on a significantly smaller battery. Its doesn't count for everything, but it does for something.

peNfcmo.jpeg

Webcam and mics are still way ahead on SD due to its signal processing, again better for the products intended purpose.

As for "they actually work" again for its intended purpose. I use X86 and SD laptops all day Mon-Fri and Iv had zero issues with the SD and software support on an office environment, even emulating programs such as adobe etc.

I will get one of these AMD laptops in and compare. From the details we have so far, its not cut and dry. AMD have made an amazing CPU no doubt. By no means have they killed SD, yet!

This a great though, companies driving each other to produce better products for us.

Is that a first party Qualcomm slide?

Ok, Same Laptop but with a slightly different APU, the 365 has a 20 thread CPU, the 370 in this test has a 24 thread CPU, other than that they are the same.

4K Netflix over Wifi, the Yoga Slim 7X has a 70 Watt Hour Battery, the S16 a 78 Watt Hour Battery, so the AMD laptop has an 11% larger battery, that battery had 14% more charge in it, i'd call that equal.

Ok, that's light workloads, now lets look at heavy workloads, we are ignoring the PX13 here because it has an RTX 4060 in it and its also looking like its set to boost a little higher, so we will look at the lower score for the AMD Laptop.

370 Score 925: (100%)
X-Elite score: 1002 (108%)

Power

370: 33 Watts (100%)
X-Elite: 54 watts (164%)

So for an 8% higher score its using 64% more power. so doing heavy tasks the X-Elite will chew through its battery in half the time.

So much for that ARM efficiency.

mkyKD7q.png

es4dUkc.png

Odx10fn.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom