SNP to break up Britian?

I have one question for you all:

Will an independent Scotland have a better education system because I counted three questions? :D :D

Why not just be happy for us and let us vote and decide ourselves?

To be fair the decision you make will affect not only Scotland but the remainder of the UK too so it is no surprise that those of us that do not live in Scotland also have an interest.

It's true for most people in Scotland. You get a grip.

Having worked in Scotland quite a bit, I get the vibe that this is the case. Maybe I have worked in the wrong areas of Scotland.

I don't know anyone who dislikes England to the degree you suggest. Sure we joke about it and we're fairly harsh when it comes to our sense of humour, but it's not greatly different to the English having digs at the French or Germans. Perhaps you just can't handle being the butt of it, which is fine as long as you don't dish the same out to others. :)

Madness to separate now. We're a tiny landmass, and splitting that up is going to cause a great deal of internal confusion and angst on this piece of land. Not a good thing when we're in a globalised world.

If the Scottish people have an issue, surely it would be better to resolve it amicably and stay whole, something that would benefit everyone? Why not try and work towards that?

What exactly do the Scottish want, that they feel they can only get by separating?

It's true for most people in Scotland. You get a grip.

Having worked in Scotland quite a bit, I get the vibe that this is the case. Maybe I have worked in the wrong areas of Scotland.

Well done on having "worked in Scotland quite a bit." I've lived here for 25 years and I'm Scottish. It is not the case.

Perhaps you just can't handle being the butt of it

Far more likely.

Madness to separate now. We're a tiny landmass, and splitting that up is going to cause a great deal of internal confusion and angst on this piece of land. Not a good thing when we're in a globalised world.

If the Scottish people have an issue, surely it would be better to resolve it amicably and stay whole, something that would benefit everyone? Why not try and work towards that?

What exactly do the Scottish want, that they feel they can only get by separating?

Complete fiscal and economic autonomy. Control over our own land. A government that we actually voted for.

There is no way to resolve this amicably. We won't get more devolved powers - instead we'll get years and years of David Cameron's policies which will directly harm Scotland's people (bedroom tax, etc, etc).

There are no more options - we have run out. The only way now to get these things is Independence.

The UK government have had opportunity to devolve more powers to Scotland - they are not working in our interests whatsoever.

Look now at Northern Ireland... they are ****ed now because Cameron has "held off" on giving N.I. more devolved powers until after the Scottish referendum - exactly what do those things have to do with each other?

Nothing in Westminster is working for Scotland and our needs and interests. Holyrood does - but it's power is limited by Westminster.

If there was another way, I'd be open to it... but Yes is the only way.

Free money.

They genuinely believe if they get independence they will be a ginger haired, kilt wearing, deep fried mars bar eating version of Dubai within 5 years.

Free money.

They genuinely believe if they get independence they will be a ginger haired, kilt wearing, deep fried mars bar eating version of Dubai within 5 years.

That sort of opinion is the lack of respect Scotland has to deal with politically and socially, why do you promote it?

Its been three centuries and the opinion is still as alive as ever, you think it will change after another century of utterly irrelevant politics towards us?

Somehow this desire is totally unfounded, that apparently the Union is always the best solution, but if it continues, Scotland will still be seen as the leech sucking on "Englands" phat loot (though in all reality is it is a really just the preserve of a few rich estates that like to call the London and the South east home).

If the referendum fails to garner a yes vote and the morbid together campaign get their choice, we will be subjugated to one of two most likely scenarios, the good scenario would be that Westminster continues its devolution and starts to modernise the union.

The bad scenario is that devolution ends in any multiples of ways they can do it and hide it under something else, Holyrood becomes bogged down in bureaucracy of a vivid nature, as the non-votable labour/cons and lib-dem's try to destroy the SNP.

Quite frankly the referendum is the only vote we have, the last two scenarios are something we cannot choose, then of course the main choice becomes...do you stay or leave the country as the likelihood of another referendum occurring any time after a no vote, is the definition of slim.

This seems to be working on my fellow Scots for the time being, but it setting up a massive swing should the "yes campaign" counter this, which they'll be best doing closer to the time.
Actually I think it may be the other way around, the SNP and YES campaign have pretty much laid out the reasons for a yes vote. Scotland will be a better place with independence than as part of the Union as a basic proposition, as the economy gradually recovers (assuming it continues to) there doesn't seem to be much more they can add other than continue highlight the same things and hope for bad news for the wider UK they can then capitalise on. I wonder if they peaked too early.?

As we get closer to the vote there's much more likely hood of the "Better together" campaign releasing studies and highlighting information disproving or, at the least introducing doubt into the YES proposition of a land of milk and honey.

As we often see here, it's much easier to throw doubt and pick apart a proposition than it is to put one forward and then have to defend it. As the status quo is to remain in the union the YES campaign will have to persuade people it's in their interest to change. When push comes to shove perhaps with the exception of people miserable with their lot, human tendency (with a few notable exceptions) is to stick with what you know rather than gamble on the promises of a charismatic politician.

The talk of evil Westminster is interesting, more than one Scottish friend has mentioned that as far as they are concerned they see very little relevance to their daily life and difference between the self serving "posh" politicians and political class be they in Westminster or Edinburgh and don't believe Alex Salmond any more than they believe David Cameron. I've paraphrased, they actually used much more colourful anglo saxon phrases :) :D

Either way the Scots have voted for the referendum and deserve to choose their future, if it's to be independence hopefully it will be full and final without any hanging onto elements of the Union. If it's to remain in the Union it should put the matter to bed for several generations. Thankfully any option for "devo max" was removed as an option.

Last edited:
How when you will be using a currency controlled by another nation?

Arguably we won't be, then again, arguably nobody is because economies seem to beat to their own drums. We will however be able to decide where to spend what we do have, which is arguably more important unless we go broke, or rUK does.

Last edited:
Arguably we won't be, then again, arguably nobody is because economies seem to beat to their own drums.

You will be. Monetary policy would be controlled from Threadneedle Street, interest rates, quantative easing etc.

Of course any chance to demean someone's existence is oh so welcome.

No, we keep the queen, some people need to learn some history, which is funny considering the point of this vote is history.

This may have been mentioned, but if there is a yes vote and the union is absolved, will Scotland cease to be a Kingdom? If not, who would be head of state?

The Queen and her heirs will continue to be the Head of State of Scotland, at least nominally as technically the Queen is the Monarch of the Scottish People rather than the Scottish Nation (as in the land itself), but that is a technicality.

---------

As for life after independence, I suspect that for the vast majority of people in Scotland it will be the same as before independence...they will be neither better nor worse off, the same issues will concern them, and the same people will do well and the same will do poorly....life will, for all intents and purposes continue in much the same way as before. The only difference will be they can blame their social problems on themselves rather than some shadowy entity in London and the rest of the United Kingdom. (Not that the majority of Scots do that anyway)

I look forward to reading the draft constitution of an Independent Scotland prior to the referendum, because that would seem to the least that should be supplied to the electorate before asking them to decide how they and every generation after them will govern themselves.

Of course any chance to demean someone's existence is oh so welcome.

No, we keep the queen, some people need to learn some history, which is funny considering the point of this vote is history.

The point of this vote is self determination and the future of the Governance of Scotland and the future political and social identity of its people.....

[TW]Fox;24176933 said:
Not liking the current administration seems like a very silly reason to vote Yes in isolation. The coalition will cease to exist in 2 years time anyway!

Why do you constantly refer to 'The will of Scotland' and the opinion of Scotland as if everyone in the entire country is one entity which shares your viewpoints?

What is Scotlands 'will'?

It isn't in isolation however, quite clearly.

The general consensus, or the will, is clearly not in bed with Tory Thatcherism with the accompanying trademark attacks on societal fabrics. The majority of people in Scotland voted against Tory rule; the Liberal Democrats actively campaigned here to "keep the Tories out". Through UK representation in elections, it doesn't matter what Scotland - or the vast majority of it if you are anal enough - wants, it gets lumbered with the choice of another group of people, clearly with different values.

That is perfect enough reason alone, and is partly why the answer in constitutional reform lies between devo-max and independence.

Back
Top Bottom