SNP to break up Britian?

Permabanned
So they are debating and the vote will happen.

Can someone tell me what Scotland are going to do if the yes vote wins?

Have a week long party, have an election, then set about transforming our nation.

I can't help feeling that those who may vote still haven't been informed as to what they are voting for. Shouldn't something be in place, currency, Europe etc.

Also one other point. Do people genuinely trust Alex Salmond? I think he makes Cameron look like a paragon of virtue. Is voting for Scottish independence a vote for Salmond?

Both sides are still releasing their materials.

People do trust Alex Salmond, he's the most trusted politician in Scotland.

Cameron is not popular in Scotland, or well trusted.

A vote for Scottish Independence is a vote for Scotland's future.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A vote for Scottish Independence is a vote for Scotland's future.
A vote for remaining a part of the UK is also a vote for Scotland's future.
Just in case you don't realise how ridiculous that sounds.

You would think Scotland has no identity of it's own unless it leaves the UK with the way some people go on

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I hope they vote YES tbh, lets face it if they ever have anything of worth again we can always nip over the border so to speak and conquer them again and save some cash.

The worst thing done to the scots has been done to the scots themselves tbh, history repeating as we sit here and type.

Permabanned
I hope they vote YES tbh, lets face it if they ever have anything of worth again we can always nip over the border so to speak and conquer them again and save some cash.

The worst thing done to the scots has been done to the scots themselves tbh, history repeating as we sit here and type.

YEEESSSSS MY BROTHER!

Permabanned
Sorry, I clearly missed this, since it's old I'll be brief.

Yet Scotland are proportionally represented in any UK Government...and given the historical Labour centric voting of Scotland in UK elections, could it not be argued that a Labour Govt would indeed be representative of Scotland if they returned a majority of Labour MPs?

It's not proportional at all, on nearly every measurable output.

Re; Labour popularity in Government with Scottish votes; it's not so exclusive. Popularity of Blair fell sooner and quicker in Scotland than it did elsewhere, for example, on his quest for war and Thatcherism.

I think we all want more local decision making, that is fairly universal across the UK.

I think Westminster could do more to support the process constructively, these things always run along party political lines, yet it's the almost colonial attitude that is displayed by some at times that only adds to the emotional impoteous to set the agenda in the devolved nations. There are some very progressive politicians in Westminster, I even admire (just) a few Tories, but the overall effect and democracy is lacking and slow.

No doubt, it is a difficult political position to give power to any regional part of a State (even when that region is a country in their own right) without considering how the rest will react...Politics is hardly the least divisive of occupations after all. The important part is that the UK Govt listened, considered, argued and eventually acceded....this would imply a least some representative position of the Scots (and others) when considering such matters.

It had nothing to do with Westminster or Government as a whole, but of Labour pre-election who knew that standing on a manifesto of devolution for Scotland and Wales would project them into power standing ontop of a decade of bad Tory governance and unpopularity. Even that had self interest, as it was assumed that it would in fact remain a layer of Labour hegemony over Scotland.

But would that coalition have been made up of Labour and Liberal Democrat...and therefore representative of the voting in Scotland?

Yes, we find a few 'token Scotsmen' from time to time.

So in effect, the Scottish Govt are asking the Scottish people to decide on a constitutional matter without having a draft constitution on which to base their decision?

Each party can set out an early draft proposal now, which a few of the parties are working on doing, others will not.

It seems quite reasonable for us to sit down in a calmer political climate and discuss what our common rights, obligations aims and ambitions are. It has to be by consensus, and that's unlikely to be forthcoming this side of the referendum. We will still maintain our current constitution by way of custom and establishment coming out of the referendum, and follow the examples of many other nations such as the US in forming a true constitutional convention in the advent of the Scottish people voting Yes.

More details can be found in this whitepaper here;

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0041/00413757.pdf

Section 1.7.

Is that not like asking people to vote for a candidate, but not telling them who they are or what their manifesto is until after they are elected?

No, it's how many nations on earth have codified their constitution. The first time Scotland will have had one in a modern sense.

Last edited:
Permabanned
A vote for remaining a part of the UK is also a vote for Scotland's future.
Just in case you don't realise how ridiculous that sounds.

It's a vote for decline, poverty and a twisted political system.

You would think Scotland has no identity of it's own unless it leaves the UK with the way some people go on

No, that wouldn't be what I said arknor.

Associate
We will still maintain our current constitution by way of custom and establishment coming out of the referendum, and follow the examples of many other nations such as the US in forming a true constitutional convention in the advent of the Scottish people voting Yes.

Oh the US constitution is just grand. That Second Amendment is working out really well - what a great example for us to aspire to.

Permabanned
So you won't be joining the EU then?

They will.

Oh the US constitution is just grand. That Second Amendment is working out really well - what a great example for us to aspire to.

You miss the point, I never said copy it. Merely emulate the process that many nations do undertake when codifying their nations constitution.

Having a written constitution is something worth aspiring to, it limits the power of Parliament of which we could certainly use in this country, in mind of Westminster and its godlike Parliamentary Sovereignty, and Governments that can simply rip up your rights.

Last edited:
Soldato
You miss the point, I never said copy it. Merely emulate the process that many nations do undertake when codifying their nations constitution.

Having a written constitution is something worth aspiring to, it limits the power of Parliament of which we could certainly use in this country, in mind of Westminster and its godlike Parliamentary Sovereignty, and Governments that can simply rip up your rights.
Or grants the President of Scotland and his executive, the power and rights to impose their godlike wims on a population duped into voting for something they had no way of assessing before they made a vote other than a vague "oh trust me, I'm a politician, things will be better under me".

Permabanned
Or grants the President of Scotland and his executive, the power and rights to impose their godlike wims on a population duped into voting for something they had no way of assessing before they made a vote other than a vague "oh trust me, I'm a politician, things will be better under me".

The constitution will be agreed by a cross society platform working to define the interests and rights of the nation. It will enshrine the head of state and political protections, and the positive principles that we wish to live by. We could also enshrine a non-aggression policy into our constitution.

It is certainly nothing to fear but something to get eagerly excited about.

A constitution cannot produce anything like the dictatorship describe, unless you as an individual personally fear the opinion of the Scottish electorate if it differs from your own political views then that's a different matter altogether.

Soldato
So the politicians will be writing up which powers they want to grant themselves after the electorate has already irrevocably committed to having to live with it whatever it may be.

Thank goodness politicians are never corrupt, power hungry, self serving or likely to offer a choice of two bad options or I'd be concerned. ;)

Back
Top Bottom