SNP to break up Britian?

Permabanned
If Galloway ceases to be a British Citizen, a Citizen of the Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland and as the SNP has not given any indication on what status newly independent Scots will have in relation to the commonwealth or whether they wish to negotiate the same terms as the Republic of Ireland it is not necessarily true that Galloway would be able to continue as an MP regardless of whether people would vote for him or not.

Again, more definitive statements for undefined positions seems to be the order of the day.

Scotland will still be within the auspices of the UK until the next general election.

Permabanned
You don't own the "commonwealth"....it is a cooperative intergovernmental forum, it doesn't have any ownership...it has membership.

It's origins began with colonisation and then transformed with de-colonisation, it's just more scare tactics about how the entire planet is going to beset upon Scotland should they decide to take the own political destiny into their own hands.

And as we have no idea just what an independent Scotland will do or be permitted to do in this respect then you cannot make such definitive statements.

There is certainly scope for a myriad of ways for Scotland to progress, but it is more than likely that these issues of organisational rights and also intentions would be broadly similar to what we have now, and has been proposed.

Permabanned
And that has precisely what to do with what I stated?

Still UK and commonwealth citizenship, still Scottish elected members both from Scotland and England in the advent of a Scottish Yes vote next year until Independence Day in 2016. He would still remain an MP, and during that transitional period Scotland should have concluded the vast majority of its negotiating and settlements. If voted in again, he's more than likely going to stay.

I can't say I'm bothered about particularly politicians, and where they have come from, the electorate will deal with them as they see fit. I'm not sure why the original poster is so concerned about nationality in that sense, sort of vindictive isolationist way.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's origins began with colonisation and then transformed with de-colonisation, it's just more scare tactics about how the entire planet is going to beset upon Scotland should they decide to take the own political destiny into their own hands.

That doesn't change anything I stated. The commonwealth has no shared ownership. It is a membership of equals. Scotland doesn't co-own the commonwealth. It has eligibility to join if it secedes from the United Kingdom, but nothing more.

There is certainly scope for a myriad of ways for Scotland to progress, but it is more than likely that these issues of organisational rights and also intentions would be broadly similar to what we have now, and has been proposed.

Is that politico-speak for "we don't know what will happen". :D

I expect Scotland to be a commonwealth member as they fulfil the criteria, however it is not certain they would even want to or what the intentions of the electorate will be.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It isn't, it's up to the people of Scotland to decide.

Again this doesn't change anything I have stated. The obligation remains, The Czech Republic is bound by the terms of their agreement of the Treaty of Accession 2003 ( a prerequisite to being considered for entry) to join the Euro upon meeting the criteria. It will be up to the Scottish Govt to negotiate themselves a position in which that obligation under treaty is nullified or amended.

Last edited:
Soldato
They joined in 2004.

The Euro is optional, gone are the days of EU diktat in that respect.
It says in the passage you quoted
“The prime minister added in his statement that it is even an obligation to join the euro, so that is nothing new. But you have to meet all the criteria.
I don't think it's anything as like clear cut as "Scotland will be able to join the EU with no commitment to eventually join the Euro". Indeed it's far more likely that Scotland will have to commit to join the euro at some point as a condition of EU membership although the time table and criteria for doing so would I dare say be somewhat flexible in the name of political expediency. Granted Scotland may be able to set a timescale and criteria that are unlikely to ever be met.

Soldato
if Scotland do break away can we call it England instead of Great Britain. I also think we should create a realy big wall to keep them out.
That may upset the Welsh and Northern Irish members of the Union, the name that is, not the wall. :)

Associate
It seems the discussion has moved a bit into what will happen when Scotland gains independence. But I am still curious as to what will happen to Scotland and pro-independence people as a whole if the yes vote wins, and more importantly what if it wins by some margin, and the fracture that could cause in the politics/polices for Scotland.

Just wondering what a post-independence pro-uk Scotland would look like, given the seemingly decades of interest in becoming and independent Scotland. Not to jump to any conclusions but could a N.Ireland / Ireland situation occur?

Permabanned
That doesn't change anything I stated. The commonwealth has no shared ownership. It is a membership of equals. Scotland doesn't co-own the commonwealth. It has eligibility to join if it secedes from the United Kingdom, but nothing more.

It does in terms of heritage, but I wasn't clear enough on that.

Is that politico-speak for "we don't know what will happen". :D

I expect Scotland to be a commonwealth member as they fulfil the criteria, however it is not certain they would even want to or what the intentions of the electorate will be.

Given you yourself have just said that there is room for maneuver and obviously a process to go through to ascertain a settled will, I can't give guarantees anymore than anyone can for the UK in the future, so you can't have your cake and eat it. It isn't cast in stone, but then you can't attack me for acknowledging that by its very premise it is a conversation Scotland would need to have in an open and transparent process. I'm sure Scotland would very much like to remain within the Commonwealth.

Permabanned
Again this doesn't change anything I have stated. The obligation remains, The Czech Republic is bound by the terms of their agreement of the Treaty of Accession 2003 ( a prerequisite to being considered for entry) to join the Euro upon meeting the criteria. It will be up to the Scottish Govt to negotiate themselves a position in which that obligation under treaty is nullified or amended.

The obligation may be there in statute, but it still requires democratic authority.

No country can be forced to take the Euro, there are many ways of avoiding the currency including rejecting it democratically.

Permabanned
It does in terms of heritage, but I wasn't clear enough on that.

As a constituent ruling nation of the Former British Empire I would agree, however accords and constitutional Criteria set out since then have made that part of history rather than anything we can imply in the modern commonwealth.

Given you yourself have just said that there is room for maneuver and obviously a process to go through to ascertain a settled will, I can't give guarantees anymore than anyone can for the UK in the future, so you can't have your cake and eat it. It isn't cast in stone, but then you can't attack me for acknowledging that by its very premise it is a conversation Scotland would need to have in an open and transparent process. I'm sure Scotland would very much like to remain within the Commonwealth.

I was, if you look back, arguing against definitive statements being made authoritatively. I didn't say it was cast in stone, in fact I said the opposite so its not even my cake, let alone my flavour...it was yours and it was that authoritative stance I was disputing, not the process and negotiation required.

I can't argue that Scotland would not be welcomed into the commonwealth as I cannot see any justifiable reason why not.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The obligation may be there in statute, but it still requires democratic authority.

No country can be forced to take the Euro, there are many ways of avoiding the currency including rejecting it democratically.

Indeed, no country can be forced to do anything, but like all obligations, if not met when agreed or when stipulated within the criteria then there are also consequences. Just like no country can be forced to adopt the Euro, the EU cannot be forced to adopt a new member.

Soldato

Doesn't sound a great way for a newly independent Scotland to cover itself in international glory by joining the EU knowing it had accepted a commitment to monetary union and the Euro whilst openly planning never to fulfil that commitment. :eek:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I wonder how many people share Biohazard's lunatic views on Scotland?

I guess we'll find out post-referendum. We should adjust the figures though, to take into account those people that have drunk a bit too much Buckfast.

Back
Top Bottom