• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So I bought a used 5820k on the bay..

Soldato
OP
Yep the MM is the place to go for used bits and pieces guys. Definitely agree the 1000 posts is a good way to keep opportunist scammers away. The shop clearance section has some great deals sometimes but maybe not the best for warranty.

Slightly OT but it would be awesome if there was an agreement in place to transfer ownership of OCUK bought items sold on the MM (providing there is warranty left and a copy of the receipt is kept) Would make it nice and easy to return items even if you are the second owner + it would be more encouragement to buy all your gear from the OCUK store and forum rather than elsewhere.

Associate
As far as I'm aware every time I've been asked and asked management about it, we don't transfer warranty in any instance no matter the situation. We get a few people here and there calling up with an order number that doesn't relate to them because they bought something off of one of our customers, obviously we can't discuss the order with them due to DPA issues as the previous owner's personal information is all over the order. Not sure if that will ever change to be honest.

But, I'm really curious to see the results of the chip you got :D

Soldato
OP
I guess it's always an idea for the future if it comes up for discussion :)

Cheers, I'm really curious too. The suspense is really starting to getting to me now lol

If it works ok I'll need to have a recap on what I'm doing for x99 overclocking.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quick and dirty way to check OC potential of the chip? Does 4.5 1.3v seem reasonable enough to start then upping the multi 1x at a time?

Soldato
I do like the MM but it does bother me that it is basically handing cash to people you haven't met but I've never had issues and 99% of the people on it are decent, better than Ebay like you say.

If it does work I'd want a good discount, say 20% off considering it is "refurbished" and not "used" along with the fact of no warranty. Could always return and buy a R7 1700 :D

Ooh! are going to name and shame the 1%. :)
Andi.

Soldato
Ooh! are going to name and shame the 1%. :)
Andi.

Yeah I know but when handing over £300 on something it's always at the back of my mind which is why I've never spent more than £50 on it, I have small balls :D

I'm not sure how that differs from Ebay? :confused: Are you referring to the lack of security from the likes of PayPal buyer protection?

On the MM, you can request goods before payment if feedback score is low. You can't do that with Ebay.

Yes that is what I mean with Ebay at least you get the Buyer Protection, I still prefer MM by a mile.

Permabanned
Maybe its tuned up like 8pack says and u end up with better chip than standard.
Very curious how much u paid for chip. Think its not against rules to say my mate is having my 5820k plus asrock x99 plus 16gb of ripsaws plus waterblock plus 80mm thick 120rad for 450 pounds. Cpu and bord got 17 months warranty still. Ofc that is price for Mate :) and he knows he pays for setup tuned to maximum in every way like Zeed approved bundle lol.

Was about to ebay it but when he found out he was im having this to replace my 2600k hehe

Soldato
OP
Maybe its tuned up like 8pack says and u end up with better chip than standard.
Very curious how much u paid for chip. Think its not against rules to say my mate is having my 5820k plus asrock x99 plus 16gb of ripsaws plus waterblock plus 80mm thick 120rad for 450 pounds. Cpu and bord got 17 months warranty still. Ofc that is price for Mate :) and he knows he pays for setup tuned to maximum in every way like Zeed approved bundle lol.

Was about to ebay it but when he found out he was im having this to replace my 2600k hehe

I don't want to be naughty and break the rules mate. If a mod confirms it's ok I'll let you know :)

The delivery date of the RAM I bought is showing next Wednesday.. :mad: ages away yet. I have sent the place a message asking for it to be delivered sooner. I'll just need to wait and see what happens. If it wasn't so rediculously expensive for a 32gb kit I could have had it next day delivery :(

Will keep the thread updated.

Permabanned
I don't want to be naughty and break the rules mate. If a mod confirms it's ok I'll let you know :)

The delivery date of the RAM I bought is showing next Wednesday.. :mad: ages away yet. I have sent the place a message asking for it to be delivered sooner. I'll just need to wait and see what happens. If it wasn't so rediculously expensive for a 32gb kit I could have had it next day delivery :(

Will keep the thread updated.

Well we cant mention or link prices from competition but. Selling our own used items is fine. Not like we are competing wih ocuk lol

Associate
He's pretty much given enough information to use the completed listings and find the one he bought anyway :p.

I wouldn't have said the price paid was anything good or bad, it's average, you could definitely have sourced a non-repaired 5820k for that price.

Also on the subject of it having no warranty since it's been repaired - I think Intel always require a purchase receipt to honour warranty anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I cancelled my original order and now the RAM it's on it's way from OCUK. DPD Saturday delivery so it'll be with me tomorrow.

Will get the chance to play over the weekend so I'll update when I can.

I was thinking Intel use the batch and serial alone for warranty but I could be wrong. If I am, maybe that's a good thing lol.

Permabanned
would be cool if ya got boosted IMC like my 5820k is limited to 2666 so invested shietloads of time in timing tuning like days :D
Quote me after ug et some tests done if i forget to check up hows this going for You :)

Soldato
I was thinking Intel use the batch and serial alone for warranty but I could be wrong. If I am, maybe that's a good thing lol.
IIRC (only ever had to RMA one CPU) they use the date of purchase for retail CPUs, unless that cannot be determined (lost receipt/etc) in which case they use those to determine the manufacturing date and use that.

Associate
They have a small guide on their site as to what they need for an RMA. I've also used their serial checker tool and it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an OEM part from a retail part - I found a part in warranty, asked the seller who was selling the part as broken why they didn't just warranty return it and they said it was an OEM processor with the lower warranty.

I'll admit none of this information is from first hand experience though, just from the information on Intel's site - so it could be a load of rubbish :).

Back
Top Bottom