• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So I bought a used 5820k on the bay..

Soldato
very hard to damage a CPU like that. They must be knocking it about. god knows what dmg they have done so not worth the hassle and you have clearly made the right decision.

The seller clearly was trying to pull one over someone as he/she must have realised the dmg and the repair done only made it barely functional so they decide to sell and cash in

Soldato
OP
It's on it's way back guys but man, what a couple of crazy days of anxiety.

I was given a pre paid label to use. It has the tracking number on it already so it's just a case of taking it to the post office to drop it off. We have a mail room at work which works in conjunction with Royal Mail I took it there and handed it over to one of the guys. Later that night when I try and track its whereabouts - "Sorry tracking number not recognised or invalid" eh what..

It's finally updated to "progressing through this network" two days later. I was starting to panic like crazy as I didn't have a receipt going through the mail room at work.

Lesson learned :( don't ever buy a CPU on eBay without seeing the underside of it too.

Anyway, this weekend will be fun :)

Soldato
It's better than my worse 5820k in the world. Custom water, EK Supremacy EVO block + d5 pump + EK360 rad with corsair SP120 fans. high 80sc @4.3ghz 1.325v.

Realy did lose the silicon lottery on this one :(

My 5930k does 4.4GHz @ 1.25v and sits around 65°C at full load with a RVE Mono-Block... and that was with 2 * 980Ti in the loop :eek:

View attachment Qsk7a9u.jpg

Soldato
OP
Those temps are pretty awesome String :)

This 6800k is sitting idle in the low 20's, I'm seriously impressed so far and I've only just loaded into Windows. A good 10-12c cooler than the dodgy 5820k under the same Cyrorig H5 air cooler.

I'm about to have a play and see what it can do. Wish me luck.. :)

Soldato
OP
Glad you're getting that sorted :)

I love that x99 IHS's look like something that just fell off of Robocop

Thanks :) I love the look of it too. It really does look like a bit of body armour or a helmet. As far as looking awesomely futuristic I'd give it a 10/10.

I'm not sure if that 5820k was just dodgy but the temps are already 20c lower 10 mins in to RealBench stress test :eek:

Associate
my 5820k @4.4 with ek asus monoblock 1.25v idles at 26-30 peaks at 62 that's with a 980ti in the loop I think it will go higher but have never tried was happy with 4.4 and no noise.
has anyone got one of these to 5ghz on water not ln2 or something super exotic

Soldato
OP
Some nice 5820k's there guys. This 6800k is looking great so far. It's running so much cooler than the 5820k I had.

I ran out of time last night but it looks like 4.5GHz is possible with just a bit more than 1.3v. I'm able to boot into Windows with 1.25v but crashed when running RealBench. Booted fine at 4.6 with 1.3v, im guessing it'll take 1.325v or slightly more to get it stable.

I'm going to shoot for 4.4 with 1.275v when I get back from work tonight, I'll take it from there :)

Associate
Some nice 5820k's there guys. This 6800k is looking great so far. It's running so much cooler than the 5820k I had.

I ran out of time last night but it looks like 4.5GHz is possible with just a bit more than 1.3v. I'm able to boot into Windows with 1.25v but crashed when running RealBench. Booted fine at 4.6 with 1.3v, im guessing it'll take 1.325v or slightly more to get it stable.

I'm going to shoot for 4.4 with 1.275v when I get back from work tonight, I'll take it from there :)
Hi 6800K Friend :D , they are nice cpus having just got my setup on monday . going to push for more of an oc on mine this weekend too currently at 4.2

Soldato
OP
Hi 6800K Friend :D , they are nice cpus having just got my setup on monday . going to push for more of an oc on mine this weekend too currently at 4.2

Hey :) Great stuff mate, let me know how you get on. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you.

5 o clock cant come quick enough! I'm desperate to get back home and spend more time on it.

Soldato
I've had a dead CPU sold to me as working and two "working" motherboards. Both with bent pins from the bay.

Wouldn't buy anything from there again unless it's 100% working with all required photos. I've had some bargains from there too so it's not all bad.

Anyway glad it worked out, enjoy your new CPU :).

Man of Honour
I spit on that soldering quality I say . Hes left flux residue and its kind of blobby. Looks like large iron and/or low temperature. 6/10 :p

I mainly only hand solder down to 3216 though done a few SSOP chips, not overly impressed though I've seen far far worse. (Though shouldn't speak too loudly as my last project I was persisting with the bit in need of replacement and made a bit of a mess).

Soldato
Hey, can i be a 6800k friend? :D

Bluntwrapped, thats a great clock if you can get 4.6ghz stable. I've hit a wall at 4.2ghz but temps are brilliant. I can get 4.4ghz but ive got to push on to 1.4v and temps go through the roof. I'm running it on a cheapo coolermaster 120mm AIO as my h100i wont fit due to my ram hitting the rad. Max temps i've seen is 65c!

Soldato
I mainly only hand solder down to 3216 though done a few SSOP chips, not overly impressed though I've seen far far worse. (Though shouldn't speak too loudly as my last project I was persisting with the bit in need of replacement and made a bit of a mess).

Don't get me wrong I've seen some garbage in my time but OP's cpu is not up there with them. It will do the job tbf.

Back
Top Bottom