So, the Championship season has started **Spoilers**

Soldato
With our small squad and shoestring budget it's almost a disaster waiting to happen...

I'm not sure shoe string budget is quite how I'd put it. Granted there were a number of other sides who forked out loads, but your 16/17 wages was £1m less than Birmingham City, Huddersfield, Blackburn Rovers and Bristol City, and higher than Brentford, Wigan, Ipswich, Preston North End, Rotherham, Burton, etc. Of course that was the season before last, but there's no way those teams spending less than you that season are spending any more than you.

It may be shoe string compared to Leeds' standards, but it's about mid-table as far as the other Championship sides go.

Associate
It may be shoe string compared to Leeds' standards, but it's about mid-table as far as the other Championship sides go.

The chairman has stated he wants promotion, so if we're aiming for that level/standard I see our budget as 'shoe string'. Granted maybe a slight exaggeration, but there's plenty of Championship teams that Leeds simply cannot compete with financially.

Soldato
The chairman has stated he wants promotion, so if we're aiming for that level/standard I see our budget as 'shoe string'. Granted maybe a slight exaggeration, but there's plenty of Championship teams that Leeds simply cannot compete with financially.

We're looking for promotion too, and our budget is far smaller. It's a very LUFC thing to say how much harder you've got it compared to other big clubs but completely overlook the smaller clubs looking to achieve the same ;)

Associate
We're looking for promotion too, and our budget is far smaller. It's a very LUFC thing to say how much harder you've got it compared to other big clubs but completely overlook the smaller clubs looking to achieve the same ;)

Aye, but remember we do have to play against 12 men every week!! ;) ;)

Brentford do it the 'proper' way and always seem to be up there, whilst playing good football! A lot of the 'big' clubs in the division (including Leeds) could learn a lot from your structure, but if the current trend of 'spend spend spend' continues something will have to give.

Associate
Just spotted this on Twitter:

"This summer has seen the following 22 leave LUFC on loan/permanent/released: O’Kane, Anita, Ekuban, Rey, De Bock, Ideguchi, Sacko, Vieira (Ron), Vieira (Rom), O’Connor, Denton, Grot, Cibicki, Lonergan, Wiedwald, Gomes, Wilks, Kitching, Antonsson, Coyle, Murphy and Buoy".

Quite the clear-out!

Don

You sound like my Barnsley supporting mates. Prior to Bamford signing for 7m, he was the most we've spent on a single player since 2001. Your record signing is 2.5m, similar to what your record signing has been since the glory PL years.

It's all very well saying you're on a shoe string budget, but you've made ridiculous fees on some of your sales in the last few years, Hogan, Gray. Forshaw, Woods yet your board seem reluctant to invest it to get to the PL. Your ground holds 12k? Ours is 40k. It's all relative to budgets, we would never be comparable. I'm sure you will be able to spend more when you go to your new home.

We haven't been able to compete financially for a number of years under Bates, Cellino and GFH. We are now being able to do so but the likes of Villa, Derby, Boro etc will still spend an absolute fortune on wages that we won't.

Very nervous about tonight, I think we will get bullied personally. Hopefully we are quick off the blocks but I see Boro's experience being to much. I've been proven wrong a number of times this season so far, mind.

Last edited:
Associate
Very nervous about tonight, I think we will get bullied personally. Hopefully we are quick off the blocks but I see Boro's experience being to much. I've been proven wrong a number of times this season so far, mind.

Toughest test thus far. As much as Berardi has been brilliant so far this season, I think he'll be dropped tonight because of the height/physical presence of Boro.

At least Bamford won't score a hat-trick against us again... :D

Soldato
You sound like my Barnsley supporting mates. Prior to Bamford signing for 7m, he was the most we've spent on a single player since 2001. Your record signing is 2.5m, similar to what your record signing has been since the glory PL years.

It's all very well saying you're on a shoe string budget, but you've made ridiculous fees on some of your sales in the last few years, Hogan, Gray. Forshaw, Woods yet your board seem reluctant to invest it to get to the PL. Your ground holds 12k? Ours is 40k. It's all relative to budgets, we would never be comparable. I'm sure you will be able to spend more when you go to your new home.

We haven't been able to compete financially for a number of years under Bates, Cellino and GFH. We are now being able to do so but the likes of Villa, Derby, Boro etc will still spend an absolute fortune on wages that we won't.

Not doubting any of that, it was more the "shoe string budget" that was mentioned above is disrespectful and dismissive of what many other teams have to operate on. Leeds still paying the price for poor previous ownership doesn't prevent the massive revenues you've been taking in. In 16/17 your revenues excluding parachute payments were £34m - the fourth highest in the division. Ours were £13m. You were one of only four profitable teams in the Championship that year (pre-tax) and also you had by far the healthiest wages to turnover percentage at 61%. Just to compete at this level, ours was 116%. Your commercial revenue was the highest in the division (£16m) whereas ours was the second lowest (£2m). Your match day revenue was fourth (£10m) whereas ours was fifth lowest (£4m).

As of 16/17 your debt (£25m) was amongst the lowest in the division (8th) whereas ours was £60m! All player sales we make go back into covering our costs. Last season, due to player trading, we only lost ~£1m for the year, whereas it's normally close to a £10m loss. Each season we're typically a bottom four budget and revenues team, but a top ten team in terms of the table.

All of this means sod all in truth, but it just goes to show that LUFC are operating at financial levels that many teams in this division could get nowhere near! I'm sure that £7m you spent on one player is probably in the top 6 record fees per individual club in the Championship. I'm not sure shoe string budget is a respectable assertion given that your financial clout dwarves many other sides in this division.

Plus... don't tell me I sound like a Yorkshireman :mad:

:p

Associate
Not doubting any of that, it was more the "shoe string budget" that was mentioned above is disrespectful and dismissive of what many other teams have to operate on.

This was in comparison to the likes of Wolves (last season), Boro, Villa, Derby etc.

Plus... don't tell me I sound like a Yorkshireman :mad:

Take it as a compliment! :p

Don
A complete and utter anti-football lineup by Pulis but he got what he came for so fair play, I guess it's Leeds' biggest compliment he came with 9 defensive players to stop us playing. We weren't great and ironically had the best chance from a set piece. Neither team wanted to lose, I'd have snapped someones hand off for 14 points and top of the league after playing Stoke, Derby, Swansea and Boro at the start!

Soldato
Wasn't a great game of football in the end. Leeds tore around like headless chickens and ultimately couldn't create much. Boro sat deep and went long to a target man who isn't a target man. Was actually quite fun watching the speedy chaos in the first half, but it became a little tedious after half time, however that's what Pulis goes for in these types of tough away games.

Very annoying that Leeds v Brentford has been moved for Sky - Leeds fans must have a right nightmare organising game travel as none of your fixtures seem to be at 3pm on a Saturday anymore. It's at 12.30pm now, so with the frankly offensive prices you charge for away fans, I think I'll be skipping it and watching on TV. Shame as I've enjoyed my trips up to Elland Road the last couple of years.

Don
Wasn't a great game of football in the end. Leeds tore around like headless chickens and ultimately couldn't create much. Boro sat deep and went long to a target man who isn't a target man. Was actually quite fun watching the speedy chaos in the first half, but it became a little tedious after half time, however that's what Pulis goes for in these types of tough away games.

Very annoying that Leeds v Brentford has been moved for Sky - Leeds fans must have a right nightmare organising game travel as none of your fixtures seem to be at 3pm on a Saturday anymore. It's at 12.30pm now, so with the frankly offensive prices you charge for away fans, I think I'll be skipping it and watching on TV. Shame as I've enjoyed my trips up to Elland Road the last couple of years.

I'm going to it with my lad, his first proper league game (we keep watching Harrogate Town), come a long and I'll buy you a beer ;)

I can't complain about TV games, only reason I pay for Sky.

Soldato
I'm going to it with my lad, his first proper league game (we keep watching Harrogate Town), come a long and I'll buy you a beer ;)

I can't complain about TV games, only reason I pay for Sky.

Tempting - the last two visits I've woken up with bone-crushing flu the next day, so we'll see! My wife is pregnant and I've got to pick my games carefully - I need to make sure I see eough games this season in case I can't go next year, but also need to appear like I'm not taking the **** too much!

My biggest concern for the past few years is that Brentford get promoted to the Premier League the season I become a father for the first time, so after 20+ years of home and away games at the likes of Bury, Carlisle, Colchester and others, I'll then miss Old Trafford, Anfield, etc.

So I'll have to get a weekend nanny ;)

Soldato
Somewhat amused by seeing Ipswich rock bottom after ditching Mick. Mick isn't a great manager but they are deluded thinking they can do better with no money at all. He did a good job getting next to nothing season after season.

Back
Top Bottom