So, the Championship season has started **Spoilers**

Soldato
3-2 down, down to 10 men in the 91st min..
3-3 by some miracle..
97th minute pen to Villa and he lets Whelan take it, he's scored once in 7 years.

Yep, the plum missed it. That's like Liverpool letting Moreno take a ****** penalty.

Soldato
@toshj Dean Smith's heavy favourite to take over. Would he really leave Brentford?! I can't see it myself, he's building something good there

There are lots of reasons to go and lots of reasons to stay.

Go:

1) We don't pay him very much as far as Championship managers/head coaches go. He'd make a small fortune manager you lot, and it's something that should always consider
2) He's a Villa fan, so this is possibly the drop he always dreamed of taking, and he'll be able to move back home to the Midlands.
3) Massive club, big fan base, biggest side in the division, etc.
4) It's no secret that he's had a few interviews with other sides since he's been with us, so I'd expect him to want to speak with him

Stay:

1) He's a Head Coach, not a Manager, so is simply a cog in a large machine. He has one of, if not the best, support systems and infrastructure behind him. We have access to arguably the best and most advanced data, statistics and analytics in world football, and the backroom staff list is exceptional
2) He knows he has a great deal of support and security in the job. A one-win-in-nine-games run most certainly wouldn't result in a sacking if the stats say he's not doing too badly. He knows that a poor run at Villa and the knives will start getting sharpened
3) Budget. We've got a small but well-used budget. You've got a massive but terribly-used budget tied up in big contracts for ageing players. Which is better and which is worse? I've no idea to be honest, but it may depend on whether he can free up some cash spent on those big wages
4) He's surrounded by forward-thinking and progressive people at Brentford. At Villa (no offense meant at all, honestly), but he won't have that at Villa. With the budget you lot have, you should have walked this division by now but you're a poorly run football club with little in the way of identity currently. It's one thing he's good at; bringing a group together and he's a brilliant coach, so that would play in your favour as you've got the size and scope to become a huge club again.

He's a streaky coach. We go on 15 game unbeaten runs where we look brilliant, and then don't win for 2 months. The fact that the Villa job is a massive rebuild which requires top to bottom restructuring - but with a big budget and a sensible manager... what a job that would be. However he's not been in charge of much at Brentford for a few years (i.e. doesn't have to focus on transfers, contracts, health/fitness coaching, youth group, etc.) so there would be a question as to whether he wants to do that, and can he do that?

I've really enjoyed him as our Head Coach. We had a great deal of uncertainty at the club before he joined, and it's known that the owner wasn't particularly enjoying the club somewhat. Dean Smith steadied the ship, completely changed the attitude around the club into an overwhelmingly positive one and the players loved being coached by him and playing for him. We also play arguably some of the best football in the division (when we're in our stride), but like every team in the Championship, we can be decidedly average and weak at times. Tactically he's merely average, and possibly the good work of the backroom team appears to be mostly Smith's work at times.

I think we'd like him to stay but are relaxed if he goes - we've already got his replacement in Thomas Frank, one of our assistant managers and former Brondby manager. I've really enjoyed his time at the club, but he'll need a great deal of patience from your fans and, more importantly, the owners.

Soldato
I should also add, I honestly don't think it's the right role for him, nor he the right profile for Villa at this stage. Maybe at a later point in his career, but - unless your owners are happy for a massive restructuring process - you need more of a figurehead rather than a patient builder.

Soldato
Some very well made points, there's a man who knows his football!

I don't think the job's beyond him but you're right, he just will not have the support that he has at Brentford. I'd like to see him take your lot up tbh.

Don
£43 for Leeds away. **** that. What a crap club.

:D

Get yourself down. I think despite your iffy form you’ll get a result. I’m not overly confident at home as teams set out a lot different to when we go away from home.

First proper game for my lad so hopefully I don’t have to get the sweets and iPad out too early :rolleyes:

Soldato
:D

Get yourself down. I think despite your iffy form you’ll get a result. I’m not overly confident at home as teams set out a lot different to when we go away from home.

First proper game for my lad so hopefully I don’t have to get the sweets and iPad out too early :rolleyes:

I was planning a big weekend with a few mates for this game. Then, upon the discovery of pregnancy, the weekend was reduced to just a trip up and back. Then the move to 12.30 on Sky - and £43 entry - meant watching it from the sofa.

Turns out it's also the in-law' s 40th wedding anniversary and they're staying all weekend... so I'll be lucky to see any of it :rolleyes:

Hope your boy enjoys it - you're subjecting him to a lifetime of frustration! :D

We've been crap recently, only one player has been scoring and unless you're going to try to play us at our own game then we'll be totally toothless.

Soldato
Awful game really. Ref was atrocious and that penalty. Wow! Least we didn’t lose. Worst we’ve played all season

Funny one - If Watkins doesn't start going down into the challenge, then he gets taken out anyway. I don't know what that means (is it a penalty or not?), but a keeper coming rushing out and there being contact with a player means the ref has to make a decision. We should have had another penalty a few minutes later. I missed it when watching, but PJ drags down Watkins in the area.

Sky desperate for Leeds to win. The amount of times that the commentators would say "Free kick to Brentford, not sure why that was given, not a foul in my opinion" and the a replay being shown and the commentator saying "Ah, yes... that is actually a foul". Happened about 5-6 times during the game.

I thought the ref got everything right - I would think that :D - apart from that he should have sent off Odubajo with 15 mins left. I didn't think we played too well either actually, despite dominating most of the game... up until our goal. We looked so ponderous in the final third, particularly when breaking away... whereas we looked quite solid defensively and thought we won the midfield.

Hope your son enjoyed the last minute equaliser? Not a bad way to end his first home game :)

Associate
I'm taking nothing away from Brentford (who I thought on the day looked the better team) but that referee needs looking at. Probably the worst refereeing display I've ever seen at this level.

We really need players back from injury, doesn't matter how good you are, missing five key players will hurt any team. Happy with a point!

Back
Top Bottom