So this Pokemon Go fad thing ..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think that's misleading, I don't think anywhere has been able to voluntarily designate itself a pokestop or a gym yet, it either is or isn't and is determined by its status in ingress, some of which was developer designated, some user suggestion.

They may well be trying to use it as an opportunity if they are one but so are many non religious landmarks too I expect.

Yep, some of my local Pokestops are a Church, a town hall with a cafe and a pub. I live in a small village and the Church is probably one of about 50 Pokestops, it's not like Churches have a monopoly on Pokestops, it's just landmarks! People are reading too much into it.

Caporegime
I think that's misleading, I don't think anywhere has been able to voluntarily designate itself a pokestop or a gym yet, it either is or isn't and is determined by its status in ingress, some of which was developer designated, some user suggestion.

They may well be trying to use it as an opportunity if they are one but so are many non religious landmarks too I expect.

I think the game makers picked churches as there is a church in every area of the country and they have free public access.

What else would you pick? Just random locations?

Man of Honour
I think the game makers picked churches as there is a church in every area of the country and they have free public access.

What else would you pick? Just random locations?

They pretty much have just picked random locations. You don't appear to need to go inside these places anyway.

There is an awful lot of hysterical and unrepresentative reporting going on.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29791951 said:
They pretty much have just picked random locations. You don't appear to need to go inside these places anyway.

There is an awful lot of hysterical and unrepresentative reporting going on.

Yes it is random places, well any kind of landmark really. This includes signs, trees, all sorts. And yes you don't even need to cross the road in a lot of cases. I can 'visit' my local church Pokestop while I'm in the pub opposite.

Soldato
My town has one of those "heritage trail" things, which I've never really paid any attention to before, cause frankly its not really anything interesting to look at. But a lot of those heritage locations have been turned into pokestops and a nearby church is a gym. Its not as handy as having places within tapping distance of my house like some have, but its not bad, considering I live in a pretty small town.

Soldato
I think that's great, people getting out and doing something as long as they don't get hurt.

That's it in a nutshell really, isn't it? As long as people don't take the game too seriously and don't do anything to put themselves or others in harms way, its a fun little diversion. And honestly a way of getting people off their butts and getting some exercise.

I still maintain though that without some major gameplay development this is going to be a flash in a pan game. As soon as the hype and the newness wears off, people will drop this like a bad habit and plop back on their couches to play PS/Xbox again.

Man of Honour
OP
That's it in a nutshell really, isn't it? As long as people don't take the game too seriously and don't do anything to put themselves or others in harms way, its a fun little diversion. And honestly a way of getting people off their butts and getting some exercise.

On Friday evening there was a Mum with her two kids and a bloke with his son and then this morning I've been out for a bike ride and seen at least four families that I would bet were playing Pokemon where I wouldn't normally see families walking around.

No, they can all get it but only while it's there. It will vanish after a while and they'll then need to find it somewhere else, so they're all rushing while it's somewhere that they know.

Ta

Soldato
Out of all the game companies out there, only Nintendo could do something like this. When most say they should exit the console market.

Maybe a passing fad but fair play to them.

Soldato
Nintendo will be hoping to make a secondary killing by having the hype build up and increasing sales of Pokemon Sun and Moon and probably a load of 3DS consoles with them, now a generation of original players have the bug again.

Soldato
I don't live near any pokestops.. which means I'm off out for a sunday drive to collect some pokeballs ready for the long walk I'm going to do with my son... #pokemongoproblems. Probably spend more in fuel than it'd cost to buy the pokeballs but I wouldn't get the rare eggs then...

Tea Drinker
Don
I don't live near any pokestops.. which means I'm off out for a sunday drive to collect some pokeballs ready for the long walk I'm going to do with my son... #pokemongoproblems. Probably spend more in fuel than it'd cost to buy the pokeballs but I wouldn't get the rare eggs then...

:D:p where's the translate? Gibberish :p

Soldato
Out of all the game companies out there, only Nintendo could do something like this. When most say they should exit the console market.

Maybe a passing fad but fair play to them.

They should exit the console market. It's the charm and quality of their games which is their strength IMO. Mobile and tablet gaming is where the big casual gamer market is, and it would be pointless trying to produce a Nintenphone.

Soldato
Nintendo will be hoping to make a secondary killing by having the hype build up and increasing sales of Pokemon Sun and Moon and probably a load of 3DS consoles with them, now a generation of original players have the bug again.

That's got to be their undercover agenda. Along with throwing out a few Pokemon Sun and Moon ad's on TV over Christmas. Sit back and watch their back pockets line with more money.

I'd think the next game/app they release will be charged and I bet you a picachu it makes a killing.

Yep, this also could be a testing ground for ideas for the NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom