So this Pokemon Go fad thing ..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
What data does this game harvest that they wouldn't already have?

This game is built on the geolocation and photos collected from Ingress, I can't see it collecting anything else of worth?
Originally it had access to loads of things it shouldnt which made the devs release a new version just before it landed over here...

I didnt really follow it but I believe it was google accounts on Apple devices that were mainly affected.

EDIT: Found this - seems it was mislabelled permissions rather than anything nefarious.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
What data does this game harvest that they wouldn't already have?

This game is built on the geolocation and photos collected from Ingress, I can't see it collecting anything else of worth?

User activity, purchase history, interactions with other people and various locations, preferred routes, use of social features, susceptibility to advertisement and suggestion... People click yes to any ol' privacy agreement and T&Cs, same goes for Facebook, and the result is tonnes of harvested data for someone else to use. The idea is to start simple, lower people's barriers and then monetise their activity profile. It can be as harmless or as sinister as the developer wants to make it. But that's where a lot of money is these days for free at the point of use apps and services.

User activity, purchase history, interactions with other people and various locations, preferred routes, use of social features, susceptibility to advertisement and suggestion... People click yes to any ol' privacy agreement and T&Cs, same goes for Facebook, and the result is tonnes of harvested data for someone else to use. The idea is to start simple, lower people's barriers and then monetise their activity profile. It can be as harmless or as sinister as the developer wants to make it. But that's where a lot of money is these days for free at the point of use apps and services.

So nothing they don't already have if you leave GPS on and use anything from the App store?

Ingress was a proper data harvest operation as users contributed the content into the game. Pokemon Go just uses it. The photos on Pokestops are all taken from those submitted in Ingress, as well as the location of the stops themselves.

If you want to get into a tizz about Niantic harvesting data, your about 3 years late :p.

Last edited:
So nothing they don't already have if you leave GPS on and use anything from the App store?

Ingress was a proper data harvest operation as users contributed the content into the game. Pokemon Go just uses it. The photos on Pokestops are all taken from those submitted in Ingress, as well as the location of the stops themselves.

If you want to get into a tizz about Niantic harvesting data, your about 3 years late :p.

Without seeing the source and business plan, hard to say how much further it'll ingress, if you pardon the pun. :p Not particularly bothered as much as keen on seeing users being recompensed for their activity and data profile in future. Sponsorship deals and discounts is one way to do it.

Surely the 'compensation' is in being able to play a free game?

Not enough, unless you're a total pushover. The cost/profit ratio for that is peanuts. It's certainly not a rate you'd accept if this was put to you plainly in negotiations for your time. People should start waking up to what they are actually worth in work and leisure, really. Otherwise Gibles like me can ply their trade unimpeded for paymasters that just don't care one way or the other. Indeed, as fuzzy as Nintendo franchises make people, it's far from a hipster startup in Shoreditch -- it really doesn't need a leg up from free guinea pigs! :D

Last edited:
I think I'm a bit too old to get the hype around this. The original Pokemon came out too late for me and I just don't have the enthusiasm nor nostalgia for the whole Pokemon ecosystem and phenomenon.

I don't care if there may be a super rare McScoutyflufflecustardlax a few miles across the city, you're not gonna make me go outside and mix with real people unless I absolutely have to. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom