So, this post office palaver then

Soldato
One thing I spotted from the news clips I saw was she started with the tissue box right next to her, but then realised, presumably during a break, that it would look more dramatic if the box was placed as far away from here as possible, so every time she "had" to reach for a tissue it was an exaggerated stretch no one could miss. Devious witch.

Commissario
Just watching a bit of the enquiry and it sounds like the lawyer they got to do one of their reviews really regretted ever being talked into being involved (IIRC the lawyer stated she should have resigned according to Venal's notes).

And this is truly telling about the attitude of Venal's towards the law and business.
"My reflection on what happened with SS as I writ this today (2/9/13), is that Susan was possibly more loyal to her professional conduct requirements and put her integrity as a lawyer above the interests of the business"

I'm not a lawyer, but for someone at the top of a business that is meant to be abiding by the law and regulations to even consider there to be a conflict between "professional conduct" and "interest of the business" when it's in regards to the law is mind blowing, especially when it's in regards to the behaviour of the company in court.
There should not be a serious "conflict" between someone's professional conduct as a lawyer (which is basically a requirement to follow the law and not mislead the courts etc), and a business that is operating legally, if you think your legal representatives are having an issue justifying their behaviour for your firm and their legal and professional standards and requirements then maybe it's time to think about what you as a business are doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you think Jason Beer is good, just wait til you watch the brilliant Sam Stein K.C - he's my barrister for the Blood Inquiry and is an absolute Pitbull (without disparaging the breed - he's also a bloody lovely chap and great to share a curry with).

Soldato
Don't be silly. Of course she hasn't and nor will she.
The establishment will already have turned their backs on her for returning her Gong - whilst a grand gesture in the face of a million-strong petition, it was an act purely for the optics "it's simply not done. Only the King can make that decision".

Caporegime
Holy ****, just the end of this interview when the KC has finished his questions the Judge plays an absolute blinder and she's left like...

7XPtReQ.png

(a little bit after 2:03 in this video)

Man of Honour
Holy ****, just the end of this interview when the KC has finished his questions the Judge plays an absolute blinder and she's left like...

7XPtReQ.png

There are a number of parts where she's staring up and to her right for some while before answering a question. On at least one occasion, removing her glasses to do so (to buy more time). But she's taking too long. She's making it up. She may as well be holding up a backlit sign saying "I am thinking of something to say that won't incriminate me and that's difficult to do".

Man of Honour
In this respect in a big company they may have a PA or similar who collates anything email wise they actually need to see. I've worked for companies before where the director/CEO was actually surprised how out of touch they were after firing a poor PA and/or one left who was just a yes man and was replaced by someone who was either better, less of a yes man, etc. though personally I don't really see it as an excuse as there is no way personally I'd be happy to be that disconnected if I was in that kind of position of responsibility.

That's true, but then there are the emails from her in reply. If those were written in her name by her PA, I'm sure she'd be saying so now. Her whole defence is that she was ignorant of pretty much everything and thus completely incompetent to run the company, so I doubt if saying "someone else did it in my name so I could twiddle my thumbs" would be a step too far for her if it was true.

Soldato
There are a number of parts where she's staring up and to her right for some while before answering a question. On at least one occasion, removing her glasses to do so (to buy more time). But she's taking too long. She's making it up. She may as well be holding up a backlit sign saying "I am thinking of something to say that won't incriminate me and that's difficult to do".

Not sure if you're referencing body language eye movements, but that does correlate with the general wisdom

Typically, looking to the right signifies lying. This is because we tend to look to the right when we are imagining things, but towards the left when we are remembering
Looking to the right and down while speaking signifies selfdoubt, whereas looking right and straight/up signifies lying. Looking to the right activates imagination and left activates memory. 4. Eye-contact. When speaking, this could mean the person is being honest in his speech.

Of course it's not an exact science, but interesting nonetheless.

Caporegime
What did this woman actually do? She's blaming others all the time lol

That's what they've all done, even the lawyers.

There are the school-leaver middle management types who just try and play it off as "I don't know about that stuff", "yes I might have signed it but that's because I was told to sign it" etc..

They're all just feigning some level of ignorance, they were involved but didn't know anything or were just following instructions from others. Even those in senior positions, for them they can just pretend that they weren't privy to everything happening below them or that something was a legal or IT matter and they're following the advice given on that.

I guess, separate to this and as a general point, is why corporate execs love bringing in consultants so much, even if the consultants are just a bunch of bright graduates with little real-world experience, so long as they tell the execs what they want to hear or suggest obvious things then the execs have an outside third party with a fancy brand name giving approval to the decision they then take. If something goes wrong the execs can also point and say well [big name consultancy] actually conducted a comprehensive review, look at all these nice powerpoints and fancy charts backing up the decision we made, it's only gone wrong for [other reasons], don't blame us.

Associate
Like we know nothing is going to happen to her, but her walking into that room and getting destroyed by some of the best King's Counsel in the country is 10/10 content.
Agreed, she;ll get away with it all.

But to see her cry, breakdown and be awkward as hell because she is finally getting savaged, its joyous to watch.
I reckon my aunt is watching the whole thing and given her sentiment, probably just shaking her head over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom