So, this post office palaver then

fez

fez

Caporegime
Bloody hell, these CEOs on huge salaries and not knowing what's going on in the company is totally nuts.

Which is why its complete BS. This isn't some little issue in a dark corner of a company. This was a huge thing. This was a frankly ridiculous number of people with their hands in the till who were all denying it. She knew. They intentionally ignored it and tried to hide it away. And do you know what? As usual it will prove to have been the right decision for them as individuals. She won't get any serious punishment. They never do. Shes made huge sums of money as a result and will not suffer the consequences.

Soldato
Watched some of this today. I get the feeling that Vennells has had been practising her answers, as there seems to be a definite pattern to her responses.

Questions about points that don't necessarily show her in a bad light will be answered in detail. If it does make her look bad then she can't remember what happened. Or somehow her understanding at the time was completely wrong because she was misled. And she doesn't understand technical stuff. If there is hard evidence that she did know what was going on, then it doesn't count because she also had an unrecorded conversation with someone who told her everything was fine. And repeat.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A point observed by Mr Beer. In fairness a point which can be attributed to most of the witnesses.

I love these kind of things because most of these judges and barristers are proper intelligent well educated people who have come from all walks of life.

The vast majority of the people who have been called up are nothing by grifters which is just par for the course in corporate world. It is funny watching them get their asses handed to them that wouldn't really happen in any other scenario.

Associate
I bet she can't believe her luck.

Before the general election annoucement the news would have lead with her giving evidence, but now I doubt it'll even get 2mins :mad:

Associate
I bet she can't believe her luck.

Before the general election annoucement the news would have lead with her giving evidence, but now I doubt it'll even get 2mins :mad:
She's been front page of BBC news for about 6 hours today already.
Only really lost it around half 2/3pm.

Caporegime
It really is about time we got rid of this imperial, frankly Kafkaesque bureaucracy oppressing everyone with it's useless ******** and keeping the elite in jobs they don't deserve beyond unclogging a toilet.

The elite?

A bunch of the people they've interviewed were thick as pig ****, school leavers who worked their way up and were completely incompetent. The boss herself has a degree, she went to that prestigious institution... the University of Bradford.

They've done the complete opposite of hiring any sort of "elite" to work there.

Man of Honour
Never been more convinced she's a lying toerag.

I suppose it's possible that she was so utterly incompetent that she had no idea about anything that was happening in the company she was supposedly running (and being paid vast amounts for running). That's the defence they're all using. They didn't know anything. They didn't read any reports, even the ones on their own desks. They paid no attention to their emails. They paid no attention to anything anyone said to them. Things happened (e.g. the forensic accountancy company being sacked after finding that the system was broken) without them knowing anything let alone being involved in the decision. They confidently said things that weren't true (e.g. the example you quoted above) because they neither knew nor cared what was true, only about image, optics, a public face.

Or is that incompetence? Their main job was to get more money and power for themselves, which they succeeded in doing. Running anything is a secondary consideration at the top level, just a means to obtaining more money and power.

Caporegime
I suppose it's possible that she was so utterly incompetent that she had no idea about anything that was happening in the company she was supposedly running (and being paid vast amounts for running). That's the defence they're all using. They didn't know anything. They didn't read any reports, even the ones on their own desks. They paid no attention to their emails. They paid no attention to anything anyone said to them. Things happened (e.g. the forensic accountancy company being sacked after finding that the system was broken) without them knowing anything let alone being involved in the decision. They confidently said things that weren't true (e.g. the example you quoted above) because they neither knew nor cared what was true, only about image, optics, a public face.

Or is that incompetence? Their main job was to get more money and power for themselves, which they succeeded in doing. Running anything is a secondary consideration at the top level, just a means to obtaining more money and power.

This is corporate all over. The company I work for has it's issues no doubt but it is independently owned. Even though the owner is worth some 600 million you still see him at the work place and he doesn't dress like someone who is worth 600 million. This is a massive difference from a CEO and owner. They have a vested interest in the company because it is theirs.

It is about time these CEO's are held accountable for their actions and this women needs the book thrown at her as a warning to others. This kind of thing has gone on for far too long. This isn't the 80's anymore.

Is ignorance a defence in the court of law though?

Last edited:
Associate
Based on her performance so far she really should end up doing jail time.

So no doubt she will actually get off totally free as per normal for these things..

Her only defence appears to be that she passed things on to other people to deal with and doesnt then seem to have ever checked what they did with it. Must be the most oblivious CEO in history.

Obviously total and utter lies one after the other for the best part of two days now.

Soldato
Based on her performance so far she really should end up doing jail time.

So no doubt she will actually get off totally free as per normal for these things..

Her only defence appears to be that she passed things on to other people to deal with and doesnt then seem to have ever checked what they did with it. Must be the most oblivious CEO in history.

Obviously total and utter lies one after the other for the best part of two days now.

Yes, as this goes on they are releasing some of the audio each day, and everything she says just makes you feel even more that she is a complete lying snake.

Man of Honour
They paid no attention to their emails.

In this respect in a big company they may have a PA or similar who collates anything email wise they actually need to see. I've worked for companies before where the director/CEO was actually surprised how out of touch they were after firing a poor PA and/or one left who was just a yes man and was replaced by someone who was either better, less of a yes man, etc. though personally I don't really see it as an excuse as there is no way personally I'd be happy to be that disconnected if I was in that kind of position of responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom