So.... Twin Peaks is due to return.

Soldato
This is fantastic news. :)
It's no wonder now as to why Amazon where chucking out the £50 Entire Mystery bluray box set for a fiver during Black Friday.

£5??? !!!

200.gif

Soldato
I never got round to watching this originally. i had it and watched a couple of episodes but its oldness sort of knocked me a bit sideways. should i hold in and give it a go ?

Commissario
I never got round to watching this originally. i had it and watched a couple of episodes but its oldness sort of knocked me a bit sideways. should i hold in and give it a go ?

I think so, I only watched it for the first time about a year or so ago and it was enjoyable, slightly strange but enjoyable:)
It helped that although I'd heard of it I'd never really paid attention to discussions so much of it was unknown to me.

Soldato
Cannot wait for the new season of Twin Peaks:eek:
having only been a baby when it originally aired i missed out but having heard my parents talk about it still to this day as one of the best/weirdest shows they have ever seen i got the dvd box set and have watched both seasons and the movie twice now.
I enjoyed it even more second time round. Its really good till midway through season 2 then it just gets hard to watch and boring IMO.
I cant decide if its one of the greatest tv shows ever made or just overrated:confused:

Soldato
both the original series are on nowtv at the moment 30 episodes - no given time out date.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone watched the original series for the first time within say the last 3 years? I remember it being on BBC when I was young but never watched it.

How does it hold up coming into it now?

Permabanned
Has anyone watched the original series for the first time within say the last 3 years? I remember it being on BBC when I was young but never watched it.

How does it hold up coming into it now?

I'm 25 and became a fan about 4 years ago thanks to my uncle.

I consider myself a fairly level headed guy when it comes to being a fan of something (limiting expectations, not buying masses of merch etc), but Twin Peaks really does push all my buttons and is without a doubt the thing I love most in the whole world just behind Pizza and my GF.

I think it genuinely does hold up amazingly well. It's all down to it's style. There really is nothing else quite like Twin Peaks. It's part sitcom, part soap opera, part full on drama and most importantly part psycho thriller. There's just so many facets of novelty and intrigue to it. It simultaneously feels so of it's time yet completely timeless. It's much like Lynch's films. That sense of surreal consternation yet complete sense of intrigue is part of what makes his work SO enduring.

However, like everything, it's not perfect. There's a reason the show was discontinued during the second season. It get's very slow once the central mystery is all but wrapped up and it's clear that Lynch and Frost lost all sense of direction from then on. However, it's worth watching until the very end because the cliff hanger is fantastically brutal and dark. 'Fire Walk With Me', whilst not as good as many of the best episodes, I maintain is still a great movie that helps round off some of the characters and plot points fans felt where a little under served.

Last edited:
Soldato
I enjoyed it first time around, though I did get a bit bored by the end of S2 in all honesty.

It's worth a watch just for the theme song.

Soldato
I'm 25 and became a fan about 4 years ago thanks to my uncle.

I consider myself a fairly level headed guy when it comes to being a fan of something (limiting expectations, not buying masses of merch etc), but Twin Peaks really does push all my buttons and is without a doubt the thing I love most in the whole world just behind Pizza and my GF.

I think it genuinely does hold up amazingly well. It's all down to it's style. There really is nothing else quite like Twin Peaks. It's part sitcom, part soap opera, part full on drama and most importantly part psycho thriller. There's just so many facets of novelty and intrigue to it. It simultaneously feels so of it's time yet completely timeless. It's much like Lynch's films. That sense of surreal consternation yet complete sense of intrigue is part of what makes his work SO enduring.

However, like everything, it's not perfect. There's a reason the show was discontinued during the second season. It get's very slow once the central mystery is all but wrapped up and it's clear that Lynch and Frost lost all sense of direction from then on. However, it's worth watching until the very end because the cliff hanger is fantastically brutal and dark. 'Fire Walk With Me', whilst not as good as many of the best episodes, I maintain is still a great movie that helps round off some of the characters and plot points fans felt where a little under served.

You have done a pretty good job of convincing me to go for it. How do you feel about the new series, do you think there was enough left to keep going or do you have some reservations?

Permabanned
You have done a pretty good job of convincing me to go for it. How do you feel about the new series, do you think there was enough left to keep going or do you have some reservations?

There's definitely enough material there for them to continue, especially with the HUGE cliff hanger the second series ended on. It essentially rebooted the entire mystery, so the third series (assuming they continue from there) will come ready baked, so to speak.

I tried watching this for the first time recently and just can't seem to get past the hammy acting. I believe it's intentional but just takes me out of it.

That's understandable. The acting is indeed purposefully hammy. No doubt Lynch felt that it added to that dream like quality he's constantly striving to achieve in his work. That, and a lot of the themes wouldn't really work if the actors where to play everything straight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom