So who's applied for 2012 olympics tickets?

Man of Honour
It's the London Olympics, so clearly the primary focus will be on the home city.
Also bear in mind each ticket comes with a free zone 1-9 travelcard so 'Northerns' may be better off using public transport. When I go to London to watch football I nearly always get the train using cheap advance tickets.

Just checked my order email, I applied for 41 tickets in total which were all ~£20 tickets except for 6 £40 ones and another 6 in £20-35 range. Could have been my downfall, as it is probably the cheap tickets that get most oversubscribed.

Last edited:
Associate
I can distinctly remember going through the whole ticket application process ages ago, but when I came round to check I apparently had never made an account.
Shame really, I'll just have to buy a huge TV to watch it on instead, or maybe an outdoor projector.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I can distinctly remember going through the whole ticket application process ages ago, but when I came round to check I apparently had never made an account.
Shame really, I'll just have to buy a huge TV to watch it on instead, or maybe an outdoor projector.

Have you been on the London 2012 ticet website or just the London 2012 website? You have seperate accounts for each.

Got nothing from a £1,400 bid. My girlfriend snapped up a Thomas Cook package that she saw, so at least we get to see some swimming...plus beach volleyball.

Going to be making sure I am on the website the morning the second round of ticket sales go up.

Caporegime
What I don't think is fair is people ending up with stuff they don't want to see but bid for just so they could go and see something - to the detriment of people who really want to see a specific event. Some bloke on the wireless the other day moaning that he's got weightlifting tickets but didn't really want that. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
That's life though, you can't really measure how much somebody wants tickets in a quantative way, it's all subjective. The situation you describe is no different from any ticket sales, I don't like Boyzone but there's nothing to stop me buying tickets for it and denying other people.

Obviously it's not ideal to have people get caught up in 'Olympics fever' and bid for things they're not that bothered about, but from a technical perspective there's nothing that can be done, other than perhaps if they didn't offer a resale mechanism. Everyone has has equal right to attend the events whether they are a lifelong fan of the sport of just somebody who fancies a bit of a jolly and posting pics of themselves at the Olympics on Facebook.

Maybe another option would be to limit the number of tickets individuals could apply for, say max 20 per application or whatever, bit of a minefield though.

Soldato
Just checked my bank account and I've got tickets for the opening ceremony! I know this because those were the only ones I applied for!

My money was taken on Thursday so everyone might wanna double check their bank accounts!

Man of Honour
Had an email today, people who haven't been allocated any tickets yet can buy from 6am next Friday on a first-come, first-served basis (max 3 sessions) from the following events: http://www.tickets.london2012.com/schedule.html#1

Bit of a bummer as I'm at Glastonbury next week so may have to get somebody to bid on my behalf.

It's quite interesting to see what's been taken up, I'm slightly surprised by how popular some of the events have been. I didn't expect the Canoe Slalom to be fully subscribed for instance yet you can still get a limited number of tickets for rowing. They're supposed to be informing everyone what they've got by the 24th which is nice although I'm away on holiday for two weeks at that point so I probably wouldn't be able to apply for more tickets anyway.

Soldato
From what i gather from the email - if you already got some tickets, you cant apply for anymore until 8th July. If you didnt get anything in round 1, then you can apply from 24th June? Does that seem right to everybody else?

Soldato
I got tickets for the football at St James Park (judging by the charges to my bank account). £20 a ticket for two matches in an evening seemed like a good deal :D

Also applied for other tickets, but haven't heard about them yet - not really hopeful of opening or closing ceremony tickets :D

Man of Honour
From what i gather from the email - if you already got some tickets, you cant apply for anymore until 8th July. If you didnt get anything in round 1, then you can apply from 24th June? Does that seem right to everybody else?

Not sure about those that have already got tickets, but those that haven't get 1 shot to apply for up to 3 events between 24th June to 3rd July.

Seeing as around two-thirds of applicants didn't get tickets in the first round, that means that their servers are gonna take a HELLUVA hammering at 6am on the 24th, far, far worse than anything they've experienced so far as it is first-come, first-served. Heck, their servers couldn't even cope at one point towards the end of the initial balllot when it wasn't FCFS, I really do have concerns about what is going to happen when hundreds of thousands of people are all logging on at once. 6am seems a bit of a poor choice of time, I'd have thought something like 3am would be better to spread out the initial load a bit.

Soldato
Got that stupid email. Yes thanks for telling me that I have tickets, I know because you've taken the money. Just tell me which ones!

Agreed. Im happy i have got some tickets (and lucky) but im a bit annoyed that i cant apply for any on June 24th. I live next to wembley stadium, i love football, and seeing so many available here that i cant apply for makes me :( .

I might have to ask people who didnt get any to try and get some for me in case i missed out big time on my original application

Soldato
I still havent received confirmation of my tickets - they are leaving it late. But i have worked out what i got - badmintion at Wembley Arena, and group stage matches for football at Wembley. Just need to find somebody to get me more footy!

Man of Honour
Has everyone else who has been successful received notification of their tickets yet? I've apparently got tickets for the track cycling on the 6th of August so get the Men's Sprint competition, the start of the Women's Omnium and some of the Women's Sprint. Slightly surprised that I got that rather than a combination of the less popular events I picked but I can't be too disappointed with that as cycling is one of my favourite events.

It seems that picking a number of events but all in the C/D categories was a bit of a mistake but it's easy to realise that in hindsight when you know what your actual financial commitment is. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if there are any deals worth taking up for other tickets elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Has everyone else who has been successful received notification of their tickets yet?

One very happy bunny this morning:

We are delighted to confirm that you have been allocated the following tickets to the London 2012 Olympic Games:

Sport: Athletics Session code: AT013 Venue: OLYMPIC STADIUM Date/Time: 09 AUGUST 2012 18:30 Price category: A Quantity: 1

Sport: Football Session code: FB042 Venue: WEMBLEY STADIUM Date/Time: 11 AUGUST 2012 15:00 Price category: A Quantity: 1

:D

Back
Top Bottom