So windows 9?

Soldato
Apple make huge profits from hardware sales so that they can easily offer OS upgrades free of charge to end users. Microsoft don't.

Ahh, I see what you mean now.

I think MS are finding it harder to justify charging for what have essentially been software patches at times in the past. None of the other OS providers get away with it. These days, businesses aren't shackled to MS either. As for consumers, there are plenty of alternatives depending on the purpose the particular device is intended for.

Caporegime
The problem MS have is how do they offer the OS 'free' to consumers and still attempt to justify their Volume License pricing? I'd like to see the whole lot overhauled but it's unlikely. CALs are essentially extortion.

Soldato
The problem MS have is how do they offer the OS 'free' to consumers and still attempt to justify their Volume License pricing? I'd like to see the whole lot overhauled but it's unlikely. CALs are essentially extortion.
I don't think that's too difficult. Many businesses have completely different rates for virtually identical products, in different market segments with different users. Offering gratis software for personal use yet charging businesses to commercially exploit the software is not unusual.

Soldato
i1ywQl5.png

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/opera...-accidentally-confirms-windows-9-coming-soon/

Microsoft’s Chinese office has accidentally leaked the Windows 9 logo in a blog post, along with the tag line “Microsoft’s latest OS Windows 9 is coming soon, do you think the start menu at the left bottom will make a come back?”. The post has since been removed but it wasn’t fast enough to avoid screenshots and media reports from circulating.

Microsoft has yet to officially comment on Windows 9, codenamed Threshold. However, this leak coincides with recent reports suggesting that the company will release a preview of the updated operating system by the end of September.

The upcoming Windows 9 preview for developers and and enterprise users will give us our first look at the new user interface, which is said to feature a metro style start button. The charms bar feature will likely be removed and changes will be made to the way Windows 8 apps interact with the desktop.

While the return of the start button will be the main selling point, reports have suggested that Microsoft is also testing its digital assistant, Cortana, on desktop machines- meaning we could see it come to Windows 9 in a future update.

So Windows 9 soon?

Soldato
They should provide a 3 level install.

1)Metro and desktop (full install)
2) Just metro
3) Just desktop

All my PC is used for is gaming and internet browsing. I'd love a really low footprint, bare bones os with just the desktop.

Soldato
They should provide a 3 level install.

1)Metro and desktop (full install)
2) Just metro
3) Just desktop

All my PC is used for is gaming and internet browsing. I'd love a really low footprint, bare bones os with just the desktop.

I wish Microsoft would just do a gaming OS for the PC ,none of the desktop bloat.

That way I could have what I exactly want and use Linux for my other programs etc...

Soldato
So you don't use email? Or use outlook/thunderbird? Most people don't so metro is the far better way of getting emails, than logging into a website and manually checking.
Same with weather, news, etc.
Then there's plenty of apps that are far better than the desktop/website versions. Youtube, Netflix, packagetracket, audible to name a few.

Calling it a purely touch OS is stupid and saying you don't need it or have any use, is almost certainly you not trying it/understanding. Most people do have a need for instant info and notifications. A few go but I use my phone for emails, really? When at home you use a ~5" screen over a 10-30" screen.

The way of "getting emails" has been the same for quite a while now. This idea you have of a "better way" is purely a presentational preference and subjective.

Metro is just an addon, it's not required for Windows. So it should be just that, an addon you can remove under Windows Features which lets you remove things like Tablet PC Components, Windows Gadgets, Media Centre and IE.

I don't want "Weather, news, etc." and other nonsense fed to me the menu I need to open the Software I have to use. And I don't need to have the fancy decorations of Metro. The Start Menu is perfect because it has common tasks and folders on the right and an effective list on the left, not some bloated and padded out plethora of different bells and whistles that's supposed to make me feel happy or "wow I got stuff goin' on".

Calling it a purely touch OS is stupid
Totally agree with that. Metro is just an addon for now and it should damn stay that way :p. If Metro becomes the OS I'm going to............... buy a Mac.

Last edited:
Soldato
The way of "getting emails" has been the same for quite a while now. This idea you have of a "better way" is purely a presentational preference and subjective.

Metro is just an addon, it's not required for Windows. So it should be just that, an addon you can remove under Windows Features which lets you remove things like Tablet PC Components, Windows Gadgets, Media Centre and IE.

I don't want "Weather, news, etc." and other nonsense fed to me the menu I need to open the Software I have to use. And I don't need to have the fancy decorations of Metro. The Start Menu is perfect because it has common tasks and folders on the right and an effective list on the left, not some bloated and padded out plethora of different bells and whistles that's supposed to make me feel happy or "wow I got stuff goin' on".

Totally agree with that. Metro is just an addon for now and it should damn stay that way :p. If Metro becomes the OS I'm going to............... buy a Mac.

Right-click, unpin from start. Just have what you want there!

Back
Top Bottom