So windows 9?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Everything is done via the start menu. The screen is for working, not cluttered up with tiles, shortcuts etc.

It also needs be able to work better with multimonitors, having to run display fusion or actual multi mon is bad planning by microsoft.

Soldato
Anyone for a link for the iso for this, or would that be against the rules?

Preview build is not yet,even then it is far from final version,not sure when public will get preview build if any.

I have read final version is not until next year.

From techradar,
Windows 9 release date

As of right now, we expect to see Windows 9 in a preview build as early as September 30. The latest report from The Verge cites sources close to the matter with knowledge that press preview event will take place on that date. There are no details of where the event will take place or when exactly the preview build will be released, but we'll take it.

Microsoft communications chief Frank Shaw said the company wasn't ready to talk about how often Windows might come out when we spoke to him in January, but he agreed "you have certainly seen across a variety of our products a cadence that looks like that; Windows Phone is a good for example of that, our services are a good example of that".

We don't know if Windows 9 will be available as an upgrade from Windows 7 that you can buy as a standalone product or if you'll have to have Windows 8 to get the upgrade. But it may not be with us for a while yet – Windows business chief Tami Reller has talked about "multiple selling seasons" for Windows 8, meaning that we'll likely have several versions of it.

Some rumors have suggested late 2014 or early 2015 for a Windows 9 release, though the former seems wide of the mark. While claims and reports are all over the place, it seems like Windows 9 should drop before September 2015 at the latest.

Caporegime
Why are so many sites reporting "leaked images" which are clearly just Windows 8.1 with a start menu add-on? :confused:

I'm not convinced that I have seen a single image or video which is authentic Windows 9 and not lightly modified Windows 8.1.

Soldato
I don't see much difference from Windows 8.1, apart from a Start menu and multiple desktops. I could live with that Start menu, it certainly beats installing StartIsBack. But the tiles would go straight away. As for multiple desktops, I can see the use for this but it's certainly an idea borrowed from Linux!

Microsoft can keep their apps as far I'm concerned. They don't interest me. As for the "they are no different to desktop icons" arguement - well I literally have a couple of icons on my desktop and the rest of my shortcuts are in the Quick Launch toolbar next to the Start menu.

As long as Windows 9 feels as fast as 8.1, I'm happy - if they make it faster, then that's a bonus. If it's slower, then what's the point?

Caporegime
Why are so many sites reporting "leaked images" which are clearly just Windows 8.1 with a start menu add-on? :confused:

I'm not convinced that I have seen a single image or video which is authentic Windows 9 and not lightly modified Windows 8.1.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the screens are from what MS showed themselves months ago with the 8.1 update 1, as 8.1 was meant to be getting a start menu.
Suddenly it's like people have forgotten those screenshots.

Soldato
I don't see much difference from Windows 8.1, apart from a Start menu and multiple desktops. I could live with that Start menu, it certainly beats installing StartIsBack. But the tiles would go straight away. As for multiple desktops, I can see the use for this but it's certainly an idea borrowed from Linux!

As long as Windows 9 feels as fast as 8.1, I'm happy - if they make it faster, then that's a bonus. If it's slower, then what's the point?

There wasnt a lot of visual difference between Vista and Win7 when screens stated to leak, yet Win7 was so much nicer that I ran it as my main OS before it was released...

Multiple desktops, I use it on the Ubuntu box we have here a fair bit, for windows, I'm not sold on the idea yet as I cant see a use, but we'll see how it goes..

Man of Honour
To me it doesn't look like developer preview will be out on the 30th. Everyone saying it is, but so far zero press invites to an event. which surly would have gone out by now. And I can't see them releasing it without an event to discuss all the features in it and off course new developer tools etc.

Man of Honour
I use the multiple desktops on Linux too, and I really like it.

However, I'm not sure how windows will implement it, only time will tell I guess.

I've always wanted to know the reason why multiple desktops is any better/worse than having many windows open?

I guess in a developer world, you could have different contracts on different desktops to keep them separate.

But for day to day office work or home work I don't see why multiple desktops are useful - I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm genuinely interested in how they make life better / easier?

The linux boxes I have used in the past I have always disabled or reduced the desktops to 1 as I just couldn't understand why I'd need more!

I've missed win8/8.1 so will be interested in win 9. It'll take me a lot to move from Win 7!

Back
Top Bottom