So you take your Monaro to have a leak fixed...

Soldato
[Duff]Chef;15039612 said:
Just had a quick search of the Road Hawks, looks pretty good.

Seriously contemplating it for 2 reasons.

Provides good evidence incase you are caught up in a traffic accident.

Because every time my car goes in for work / service, it has always done a few too many miles in "test driving". When bringing this up with them, they say, it is necessary etc..

Anyone else used them? Also, does anyone know if they can run on batteries for a period of time or just the supplied power lead?

Was thinking along the same lines, it looks like a really good piece of kit and something i wouldn't think twice about fitting if i had a car worth fitting it to ;)

£280 huh?

You do wonder why anyone would bother fitting one to their car :confused:

Is that £280 for the Roadhawk? If that's the case it seems a small price to pay for some peace of mind imo.

Caporegime
Whilst its worked will in this situation i'm not sure i'd want something like this fitted to my car, quality bit of kit but the evidence (Not from this stunt, but another) could work both ways imho and you could find yourself in a world of pain.

Caporegime
Lets say you get involved in an RTA and its a fatal, your seriously hurt and get cut out of the car, in a situation like this removing the card might not be physically possible simply due to the fact you require serious medical attention.

Clearly almost worst case, but worst case is what i do for a job so its my logical way of thinking.

Man of Honour
Lets say you get involved in an RTA and its a fatal, your seriously hurt and get cut out of the car, in a situation like this removing the card might not be physically possible simply due to the fact you require serious medical attention

Are you honestly saying that after causing a FATAL accident your thoughts would be on how to avoid being arrested for doing it?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;15051763 said:
Are you honestly saying that after causing a FATAL accident your thoughts would be on how to avoid being arrested for doing it?

Why would i give additional evidence other than whats required by law, why would i hand over a self incriminating tape when i'm legally not required to have such equiptment in the car as part of my insurance policy.

No problems telling the police what happened, but that differs from handing the evidence to them on a plate and self incriminating myself doesn't it.

Associate
My opinion (for what it's worth) is that I've driven high power cars for nearly 20 years, everythin from Morgans, to XJS, TVRs etc. I have a clean license, I've only every had one speeding ticket and that was 10 years ago. I've had two accidents, one of which was my fault (No else involved!). The second accident which wasn't my fault, was caused because of a pile up on the M42. A lorry side swiped a car three cars ahead of me, the side swiped car bounced the car in the outside lane into to barrier which then came back and hit the car one ahead of the car in front of me.
The car in front of me hit that. Luckily I had enough space to stop, just. I came to rest about three yards behind the pile up.

Unfortunatly a nice girl in cirtroen BX behind me was changing the tape in her stereo and rear ended me at 60ish. Shunting me forward into the rest of the pile up.

Luckily for me, the driver in front saw I had stopped clear of him and the girl who hit me, just before she hit, also saw I was stopped clear of anyone.

It was her insurance company that claimed I had hit the original pileup thus attempting to claim knock for knock damages. If it hadn't been for the honestly of the guy in front of me and the girl behind the lying insurance company would have gotten away with it.

If I'd had the roadhawk installed (OK so it didn't exist 8 years ago) I'd have had evidence of no fault on my part.

Personally I think that the chances of it being detremental to myself is far less than it proving that the guy I just ran into the back of just pulled across from the outside lane and slammed on his breaks looking for a whiplash claim! (hasn't happened, but at the moment there's a emidemic of this scam going on i the Birmingham area!)

Associate
Yes, I've posted photos in page two of the pistonheads forum here

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...ng VXR8s and ROs how about garages?&mid=44445

It can be hard wired, but I haven't got around to that yet, however it does coe with a 5 meter cig lighter cable which means I could run the cable around the windscreen through the dash and around to the socket with all the cable being hidden.

lol I really should bug Roadhawk for commission!

Associate
Well unless you look for it, it's not really that obvious. (See the photos) behind the mirror it's quite dark because of the automatic headlight detector on the windscreen. From the drivers seat you can't see it at all. And if you don't know what one looks like it could be anything.

Associate
Out of interest does anyone know if your insurance premium drops when you fit one of these?
Seen the option to declare it when getting quotes etc.

Soldato
A friend of mine use to rally an RS1700 turbo a few years back, and he put the car into a local garage to have some minor electrical work done. He was quoted something like 1/2 a day to do the job and around £100. After dropping the car in around 9am, giving strict instructions that the car wasn't to be driven/road tested at all, he phoned at lunch time for a progress report only to be told that it wouldn't be available to collect for a few days as it was having a new bonnet fitted.
Apparently one of the younger spanner monkeys took it out for a blast and forgot to put the bonnet pins back in, resulting in the bonnet going airborne.

After that he always immobilised the car when it needed to be left anywhere.

Personally, I'd like to know where they sourced the new bonnet :p

Back
Top Bottom