So, you want a new Hi-Fi?

Permabanned
Good point.

Its just that if it concerned you, then cheap mains stuff will do.

Ive got some £250 per m cable that was given to me from years ago and it sounds no different to mains.

Tbh you are right, you would never need that current capacity.

Soldato
I must say that the products detailed in the original post are mainly cheap rubbish.

Yes, that includes Cambridge Audio and Arcam!

Dont forget that markups are commonly 400% to 1000% in some cases.

Proper British Hifi manufacturers are Creek and Rega.

I wouldnt have a KEF or Gale pair of speakers even if held at gunpoint!

don't forget Quad - i have a few Quad components and have never been disappointed.

Associate
I must say that the products detailed in the original post are mainly cheap rubbish.

Yes, that includes Cambridge Audio and Arcam!

Dont forget that markups are commonly 400% to 1000% in some cases.

Proper British Hifi manufacturers are Creek and Rega.

I wouldnt have a KEF or Gale pair of speakers even if held at gunpoint!

Depends on whether you're buying first or second hand. Second hand the over price issue dissapears completely and Creek and Rega gear never seems to trn up.

Associate
Thanks for your advice.

I was going to get some creative T20s but after reading this I have just bought and connected the below to my PC and it sounds quality.

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5
GALE 3010 Bookshelf speakers

Thanks

Caporegime
Can someone enlighten me on the output of amplifiers > speakers? That is to say, how can I ensure my amplifier will have enough juice for the speakers?

Associate
I'm on a bit of a budget and tempted to buy some second hand gear rather than buying the low end stuff listed in the guide. With that in mind, are there any decent second hand systems that would be in the £50-70 price range? I only want it initially to set up as a 2 speaker system as the TV's speakers are quite poor. Maybe in the future would want to link it to a hi-fi or set up a 5/7 speaker system.

Ones on ebay I quite like the look of are the Denons, such as the AVC-A10SE, but really have no idea what I'm buying.

Also would the AVR 1906 work fine as a 2 speaker system?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm a big noob when it comes to audio equipment! I'm just not enjoying movies on the TV as the sound doesn't make any impact.

Associate
Piggeh, if your looking at 2 speaker systems, don't get an AV amp. A stereo amp will perform much better.

Might be worth asking one of the "experts" about an updated version?

Associate
Piggeh, if your looking at 2 speaker systems, don't get an AV amp. A stereo amp will perform much better.

Might be worth asking one of the "experts" about an updated version?

AV amps are often better than stereo amps due to the higher power handling needed for movies. Stereo amps are made cheap and sold with huge mark up to punters.

Associate

Why? A good amplifier with low distortion <0.01% over the entire specturum have a flat frequency response and good damping. So what's the differences? Power handling? Yes and we need good power handling due to music being very dynamic and we want about 20dB power headroom at least so if we listen to music on average 1W we need a 100W amplifier so a 30W Naim amplifier no matter how good they say it is isn't going to cut it! But a 100W AV amplifier will!

Associate
Lie.

The truth is every product and service is out there to make money, yes, even that computer you used to typed that.

Yes but if you knew how much they make and how much you pay for some very basic electronics in a shiny box it'll make you sick!

These hifi company's swear their products are 'high end' but the way they go about it (separates) is ultimately flawed.

Caporegime
Why? A good amplifier with low distortion <0.01% over the entire specturum have a flat frequency response and good damping. So what's the differences? Power handling? Yes and we need good power handling due to music being very dynamic and we want about 20dB power headroom at least so if we listen to music on average 1W we need a 100W amplifier so a 30W Naim amplifier no matter how good they say it is isn't going to cut it! But a 100W AV amplifier will!

Because it is not all about power. A 500 Horsepower muscle car would be useless if it can't get that power down to the tarmac.

Yes but if you knew how much they make and how much you pay for some very basic electronics in a shiny box it'll make you sick!

These hifi company's swear their products are 'high end' but the way they go about it (separates) is ultimately flawed.

I bet you listen to your all in one Sony Micro HiFi and think it is the best thing since slice bread. Every business out there, its purpose is to make money, do you throw up every morning thinking how much they made on the cereal you are eating? Do you know how much grain cost and how much mark up they put in there? You think 500g of rice costs £2.99?

No one is making you to spend £10,000 on an Amp and no one is pushing a sell here for that kind of amp (there is a rule of diminishing returns, it is down to the user where that ceiling is) but I bet you a pint that my £250 50W stereo amp I got off eBay will sound better than your all in one 2 million watts thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom