Solar panel production figures

Associate
Ended on 16.7 myself, battery didn't get fully charged unfortunately, some washing was done and shower was used at max but should have enough to last through the night til sunrise then ill see what the day may bring.

Soldato
I am not looking forward to my Aug 26th bill................. (i mean.... it will be fine, its only going to be pennies but that is not the point).... my previous 2 or possibly 3 bills were negative, but unless we have a heatwave in the next week or so - which is possible as it happens - i may have to actually PAY octopus some money for my electricity &/or gas, which just isnt cricket ;)

(I also charged my car at home 3 times in the flux cheap 3 hrs which has added almost 60kwh onto my import)

i need myenergi and octopus to pull their collective fingers out, i want to move over to IO this september but would much rather do it via my chargepoint rather than my car.... but the zappi is still not supported yet despite being "coming" for over a year.

Last edited:
Soldato
GE site reckons my import/export for the month is fairly neutral still, but this won't cover any of the SC or gas usage.

Couple of decent weeks would be good before we close out the summer weather more or less.

Associate
The big advantage of batteries is the ability to go onto a cheap tariff, such as go, and buy in cheap units which you can use during the day.
So on go you get 4 hours low cost, which you can time dishwasher into as well, and use your cheap rate to charge the batteries.

The other advantage is smoothing, so as your demand and solar output go up and down they smooth that out. So your not for example exporting for 5 minutes then importing because the sun has gone in.

Flux has mixed it up a bit, but in winter your going to want a lot of battery storage or a massive solar array to make it work.

As ever all the ratios between usage, cheap rates, what you can load shift, actual tariffs and prices etc all mean you need to look at your usage. There is no "single best" for solar.

When I played with paybacks I got around 5-6 years for simple solar, or simple batteries. Combined they push they return out longer but they add a lot of flexibility and they are complimentary in effect.
They do not cross into the others payback that much, but they do a bit.

Solar will mainly payback in summer (March-Sept really). Batteries will mainly payback in winter (Sept-Marchthe above in use, solar/battery and the right tariff.

Here is the above in use, solar/battery and the right tariff, savings can be huge.

First of January to 13 August, no SC just the total electric cost in that time period.

CtsUDB4l.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
GE site reckons my import/export for the month is fairly neutral still, but this won't cover any of the SC or gas usage.

Couple of decent weeks would be good before we close out the summer weather more or less.

Same, about 15 short on input but the export during peak hours has made up for that.

Soldato
Same, about 15 short on input but the export during peak hours has made up for that.

To give an idea, this is current delta on import vs export costs, this thing is usually pretty accurate even though it says estimated.

Yesterdays data hasn't filtered in yet but was fairly good, so may actually just edge ahead, where today looks fairly meh and may edge behind again. Either way the import and export costs for this month are very close.

Couple of good weeks would start to eat into the SC's and gas usage.

MvAFtfX.png

Last edited:
Associate
Slow start for me today, only up to 6 so far, sun playing peek-a-boo lol

Whilst checking everything whilst my coffee cools I hit this on the octopus site, anybody else having trouble with displaying their account?

image.png

Edit
App doesn't seem to want to c-operate either, took ages for it to load.

Last edited:
Soldato
have you changed browser? it wont explain the app issue (mine is working fine on app and chrome).

i have seen that error before however when i was signing in on the Brave browser (if i had to guess it is blocking certain cookies or popups or something)

Last edited:
Associate
have you changed browser? it wont explain the app issue (mine is working fine on app and chrome).

i have seen that error before however when i was signing in on the Brave browser (if i had to guess it is blocking certain cookies or popups or something)
two browsers including mobile browser and the app, on the phone with them (have woken up a little, enough time to deal with phone conversation) and they have had others call in about it.

Soldato
To give an idea, this is current delta on import vs export costs, this thing is usually pretty accurate even though it says estimated.

Yesterdays data hasn't filtered in yet but was fairly good, so may actually just edge ahead, where today looks fairly meh and may edge behind again. Either way the import and export costs for this month are very close.

Couple of good weeks would start to eat into the SC's and gas usage.

MvAFtfX.png
how do you get that view? Never seen that before in the givenergy portal.

Soldato
how do you get that view? Never seen that before in the givenergy portal.

Go into the Smart Tarriff bit then you can set the date range, and use the arrow on the right to flip between import and export tariffs that are mapped in.

This does assume you have mapped in the Octopus tarriff stuff via the API so that the GE portal can read the data in.

Associate
Think I might be a bit new with octopus for that, getting "Your credentials could not be validated. Please try again. This may be caused by an error with the Octopus Energy API."
1.5kwh so far today, not looking like it'll be very fruitful at all up here in north
:( bummer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom