Solar panel production figures

I think PV size too. Reason I asked is my DNO was done on inverter(s) + battery.

DNO's seem clueless a lot of the time, they should be interested in the maximum amount of power you can export, but often they just seem to get it wrong, but anyway PV Output is total size of the installed PV. IIRC you enter the number of panels, and each panels rating and it calculates the total.

Sorry, not an electrician, with cables :). It's a PW2. and can discharge at 5kw. Everything initially goes back into the Tesla gateway.
I've had solar since 2012. It's on a good FIT so I can't change it, add to it, upgrade it etc. It's a 4kw PV (s facing) into a 3kw inverter.
I've just had 5.55 PV put on the roof (e/w split) into the 6kw inverter. It's solar edge with optimisers on each panel so i'm excityed to see how they perform vs my OG setup.

Nice system.

In your case you can in theory export at 14kw, the Powerwall has its own inverter, so if both PV arrays were at max and the power wall exported at max, then in theory that's 14kw. I have an existing 3.68kW SolarEdge FITS system (4kW of panels), and added an additional 4.74kW of PV on my garage, but fitted 29kWh of batteries and an 8kW inverter, so I applied and got 11.68kW export capacity, but at one stage they told me the battery side doesn't matter, its just the installed solar, well that's only 8.74kW, but I can exceed that by exporting from the batteries if the SE system was at max. I also know somebody else that had similar issues.

As I understand it the regulations we're changed recently, and you can now alter a FITS system, and get paid pro-rata as per the original system size, obviously this will require an MCS installer.

Really nice day today, almost perfect curve, and 26.5 kWh generated

Thank you.

Good news on the regs changing on older FIT systems, it had to really as there's probably some very ropey 10+ year old inverters out there dying. Not that I want it to but if mine died i'd certainly upgrade it. I'll never be dumping to the grid at 14 and one day i'll be wanting to add a 2nd PW2. I assume I won't be allowed? If so I'll just install without telling them.
You've always been able to replace like for like, so if a 4kW inverter failed it could be replaced with another 4kW inverter, but previously you could never change the panels and inverter to a higher capacity, now apparently you can. Say you went from 4kW to 8kW, your FITS would be based on 50% of generation, that's the way I understand it.

Its not about what you will be dumping to the grid, its worse case scenario, that's what they base it on, well they should be anyway. You may be allowed a higher export, or you do what is called a G100, which is limited, so your export is capped.

PS. I often dump to the grid at high power, but not full power, I export a lot at peak in the Flux period, it keeps my daily costs low.

Nah im not happy mate, was poor here too with the 7.5…..hoping tmrw is a little better before the bad weather kicks in again
Come on, you must be pleased you finally beat me.

Tomorrow does look better here with 21kWh forecast by Victron, BUT Solar Forecast has predicted just 2.6kWh LOL, weather forecast is for sun, so I'd say nearer the former is the most likely.

Getting PVOutput ready. If I do the automated upload from the SolarEdge API will that replace or add to the data home assistain is currently uploading? Looks like i'll have to fudge the system size calculator to make it right as it's only got a single panels x power calculation.
If you donate yearly you can have more than one system, then combine them into one. If you look at mine I have three systems, SolarEdge (which uses the API) and the Victron system which uploads in a similar way to HA, but directly from the Victron Cerbo (think computer), these are then combined using a parent child arrangement.
Of course you can combine the the two systems on HA and then upload to a single system on PV Output, but you do have to fudge the system specs that way.

I don't think using the API for SE and HA for the other system to a single system works.

Its also useful to have the two child systems on PV Output, so you can easily see what each one is doing.

I still don't get close on a bad day :cry: just 3.1kWh here and batteries crying out for a grid charge for 3hrs in the early morning.

With us being so close our weather is so similar, mind you I work in Sandwich and whilst it was not sunny, it was fairly bright and I wondered why I was getting such low generation until I looked out my office window towards Thanet's black skies :(
My batteries didn't even get to full, hit 93% at 5am, then slowly went down through out the day, they did charge a little in the afternoon, come peak discharge they hit 45% at 18:23, at which point it stops discharging to grid.

Its a sign of things to come for the winter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom