Solar panel production figures

Only 4 kWh today, but as tomorrow is forecast for 14.1 I decided to dump another lot to the grid between 18:30 and 19:00, so a total of 7.6 exported, 7.4 at peak rate. Now we'll get a saving session in that half hour period.

They sound like the perfect solar customer.
I mean whats the chances that person has ever checked what they were told (sold) vs what happens in reality.

Apparently its an inherited system (so even less chance), isn't smart and the gen meter requires a ladder to read it.

The sun didn't really come out until the middle of the afternoon but the NW facing panels are starting to work now the sun is moving around. 2.3kWh from those alone.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the NW panels, I've got quite a large NW roof, although there is a chimney which could affect things mid to late afternoon.

Its actually been a better January than last year, the SE system made 126.3kWh last January. and 147.74kWh this year.

Both systems generated a total of 228 kWh this month, was hoping to get to 230, but it wasn't to be, only made 5.5 today out of the forecast 10 kWh.

That compares to 130 in December and 265 in November.

They could also be on the old FiT scheme where you can't really edit the configuration without leaving it, that could also be quite profitable to remain on.

This is incorrect, you can now extend and change a FITS system, BUT it will have to be done by an MCS approved installer who knows what they are doing. If you take a 4kW system and make it an 8kW system the FITS payments would be based on 50% of generation (thus 4kW), they pro-rata the payments on the increase in system size.

How much has solar panel efficiency improved over the years. Currently house hunting and looking at a 9 year old house that came with solar panels from new. Sufficient advance in technology to make new ones worth it or not enough to justify the cost of replacing them ?
If it 9 years old it should be a FITS system, and depending on size earn a decent amount, you get paid for every kWh you generate regardless of if you use it, you also get paid for what you export, and on most systems that's assumed to be 50% of generation, but quite often you are better off switching the export side to a company like Octopus.

Being fitted from new though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a small token system, therefore see my comment in my last post above if you wanted to extend it.

My panels fitted in December 2015 are still working very well, and there is another user on here with a 2012 system still working very well, panels have got more powerful, but they have got bigger, and perhaps a bit more efficient along with some other improvements, but not massively.

PS. We have a specific thread for these sort of questions https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-real-world-reccomendations.18946524/page-463

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom