Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Same with any DIY work really. Fit a kitchen yourself and save thousands, bathroom etc. Personally roof work is not for me so I got the experts in.
It’s exactly why I paid someone and correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure even the DIY advocates on here got someone in to do their house roofs done.

All fixed now? I know someone else who has just had an AIO fitted, and it's taken then 3 weeks now to fix it, the fix was replacing it!

Yes and no. It’s working in that it’s functioning but the telemetry from the PV isn’t working.

Fortunately the AIO uses the grid CT so it working to charge/discharge so it’s just the data that’s broken.

GivEnergy are coming out themselves to look at it.

I suspect the issue is within the gateway somewhere, all the data is being passed to the inverter in the battery and up to the cloud, except the PV. The PV meter is working, we can see the manual reads.

The installers remade the data cable a few times and checked for loose connections but couldnt fix it. They did get it working for a few mins but they had the new data cable outside of the glands and when they removed it and put it back through the glands, it didn’t come back on.

The other issue was with the battery, a firmware bug was casing a communication error between the battery and inverter causing it to error out. The hot fix didn’t work and they ultimately resolved it by rolling back the battery firmware back to version 6 (from 8). They will give me the heads up when version 9 is out which should fix the issue.

I just need my MPAN now from the installer so I can start getting paid for my export. That takes a few weeks doesn’t it?

Quick update on this, the Givenergy field engineer just left and it’s all working.

I didn’t actually get to ask how he fixed it, I was on a work call but it looks like he swapped out the boards on the gateway and it’s fixed the issue.

I can’t really fault the installers and GivEnergy ultimately fixed it within 2 weeks and for a non critical issue that’s not really something I can complain about.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for battery only, ~10-12kWh, which can be fully charged in the 6 hour Intelligent Octopus window (23:30 - 05:30)?

I've had a read through the last couple of pages, but there's a lot of info to figure out! :p

Any recommendations for battery only, ~10-12kWh, which can be fully charged in the 6 hour Intelligent Octopus window (23:30 - 05:30)?

I've had a read through the last couple of pages, but there's a lot of info to figure out! :p
You could consider Givenergy AIO with 13.5kWh and EPS backup - anything from low 6K to 7K installed from some posts I've seen recently.
Edit: For clarity this has 6kW charge/discharge (peak 7.2kW)

Last edited:
I pinged you the link to the Frogstar already in the other thread.

As above Pylontech is another good value option.

In both case you want to pair them with a decent inverter that’s got some smart capabilities so you can programme it remotely/via its app.

You can get AC coupled batteries from the integrated brands such as Solax, sun sync, grow watt, fox, Huawei, Puredrive and GivEnergy. Some of these you can install EPS sockets on, others you can’t.

Then there are the premium options from GivEnergy and Tesla which include whole home back up gateways.

The things to look out for is:

The charge and discharge rates of the battery, more is better.

The depth is discharge of the batteries, don’t just look at the headline capacity, some aftertaste the gross capacity that you can only use 80% of, others quite the usable capacity.

The smart features of the inverter and can it integrate with other things in your house well.

Last edited:
I pinged you the link to the Frogstar already in the other thread.

As above Pylontech is another good value option.

In both case you want to pair them with a decent inverter that’s got some smart capabilities so you can programme it remotely/via its app.

You can get AC coupled batteries from the integrated brands such as Solax, sun sync, grow watt, fox, Huawei, Puredrive and GivEnergy. Some of these you can install EPS sockets on, others you can’t.

Then there are the premium options from GivEnergy and Tesla which include whole home back up gateways.

The things to look out for is:

The charge and discharge rates of the battery, more is better.

The depth is discharge of the batteries, don’t just look at the headline capacity, some aftertaste the gross capacity that you can only use 80% of, others quite the usable capacity.

The smart features of the inverter and can it integrate with other things in your house well.

Great, thank you, I'll do some more reading :)

Great, thank you, I'll do some more reading :)
No problem, some proper dogy autocorrect in that post :D

The other thing to look out for is that some systems are approved installer only like Givernergy. That basically means you can only use one of the installers off their list that has done some training on how to install it.

If you are wondering what I have, its the GivEnergy all in one 13.5kh. Its at the upper end of pricing but its the gold standard of battery systems alongside the Tesla Powerwall.

I have an opportunity to add 6kwh of battery storage for £3k installed (2 x T30 solax batteries). This would take my total to 12kwh, which is the maximum I currently use on a day, and usually I use quite a bit less. It would allow me to move to a tariff with cheap night electric and charge the batteries during this time. I have a 5kw inverter so should be able to do this is a couple of hours. I am just unsure of the payback and whether it is worth it for me. Currently in the summer the small array (4.1kw) I have covers pretty much all my electric and output covers gas, but it is largely useless in winter. I don't currently have a cheap night tariff so don't charge my battery overnight as I am unsure it would last until peak times. Perhaps I should start with trying to utilise the 6kwh or batteries I have before getting more. Thoughts on what you would do in my position please!

Last edited:
I have an opportunity to add 6kwh of battery storage for £3k installed (2 x T30 solax batteries). This would take my total to 12kwh, which is the maximum I currently use on a day, and usually I use a bit less. It would allow me to move to a tariff with cheap night electric and charge the batteries during this time. I have a 5kw inverter so should be able to do this is a couple of hours. I am just unsure of the payback and whether it is worth it for me. Currently in the summer the small array (4.1kw) I have covers pretty much all my electric and output covers gas, but it is largely useless in winter. I don't currently have a cheap night tariff so don't charge my battery overnight as I am unsure it would last until peak times. Perhaps I should start with trying to utilise the 6kwh or batteries I have before getting more. Thoughts on what you would do in my position please!

I have that system but scaled up already to 12kwh

You can ensure you charge cheaply and use peak quite easily. The self use setting has 2x charge discharge windows. So you set charge start and end time and usage start and end time. (second set is disabled by default)
So eg mine is 0:30-4:29 charge, 4:30-0:29 allow discharge. Today I have a powerup (free leccy) so I amend the first to 4:30-16:59 discharge, enable second set, set 17:00-19:59 charge, and then I will turn the second off later and reset the first to default settings.

I have that system but scaled up already to 12kwh

You can ensure you charge cheaply and use peak quite easily. The self use setting has 2x charge discharge windows. So you set charge start and end time and usage start and end time. (second set is disabled by default)
So eg mine is 0:30-4:29 charge, 4:30-0:29 allow discharge. Today I have a powerup (free leccy) so I amend the first to 4:30-16:59 discharge, enable second set, set 17:00-19:59 charge, and then I will turn the second off later and reset the first to default settings.
I didn't know I could do that, thanks! What tariff do you use?

I didn't know I could do that, thanks! What tariff do you use?

I am on Octopus go.
If you have an EV then any of the Ev tariffs are good.

Flux is good for the summer, probably, need to see how it operates in 2024

Octopus Agile may also we worth a look, but you will need to play with settings.

Just a note, I assume you have a solax inverter based on having solax batteries.

I am on Octopus go.
If you have an EV then any of the Ev tariffs are good.

Flux is good for the summer, probably, need to see how it operates in 2024

Octopus Agile may also we worth a look, but you will need to play with settings.

Just a note, I assume you have a solax inverter based on having solax batteries.
I do have that inverter, yes. Unfortunately I don't have a EV so I can't get on GO. Will have to see if agile is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom