Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

If your battery covers all of your needs then you'll never draw from the grid during the day. If your battery isn't big enough then this is where solar can help to "top it up"

My calcs were done assuming a system big enough to cover my full daytime usage

I originally was looking at the same route, 2 Tesla powerwall 2's - my only worry was if the off peak rate ever was discontinued it would render my investment relatively useless, so now looking at both solar and battery

I originally was looking at the same route, 2 Tesla powerwall 2's - my only worry was if the off peak rate ever was discontinued it would render my investment relatively useless, so now looking at both solar and battery

Economy 7 has been around since the late 70's so it's unlikely to disappear but obviously there's no guarantee.

Running batteries with solar makes the most sense, I've already got a 4.2kWh install but no batteries, my setup is already generating enough day to day to fill 10-12kWh of storage which would more than cover a days use.

Economy 7 has been around since the late 70's so it's unlikely to disappear but obviously there's no guarantee.

Running batteries with solar makes the most sense, I've already got a 4.2kWh install but no batteries, my setup is already generating enough day to day to fill 10-12kWh of storage which would more than cover a days use.

Agree, but I'm not that lucky!!

I don't have a day and night rate on my billing currently. And it's just occurred to me that I don't even have a meter with two displays.

Does that mean if I ever wanted to use a tariff with cheaper night time rates, I'd have to pay for a new meter install first?

I don't have a day and night rate on my billing currently. And it's just occurred to me that I don't even have a meter with two displays.

Does that mean if I ever wanted to use a tariff with cheaper night time rates, I'd have to pay for a new meter install first?

You will need one, but I don't think you'll pay for it ( I didn't).

I'm on the south coast, my roofs set back a bit from the other houses, so misses on the early sun.
2018 - 4069
2019 - 3924
2020 - 4022
2021 - 3266! Ouch

Thanet Kent, 4kw 16 panel system

2018 4370
2019 4380
2020 4510
2021 4150

System was installed December 2015, but don't have the figures to hand for 2016/2017

I also need to look at getting a battery.

Can anyone recommend glow green? 2 local companies have quoted me but for 12 ja 360 panels and solar edge 10kwh battery is around 16-19k.

glow green is 13 jinko tiger and 5.2kwh givnergy battery and inverter for about 10k which is a massive difference. But their review recently on trust pilot are a warning flag

Can anyone recommend glow green? 2 local companies have quoted me but for 12 ja 360 panels and solar edge 10kwh battery is around 16-19k.

glow green is 13 jinko tiger and 5.2kwh givnergy battery and inverter for about 10k which is a massive difference. But their review recently on trust pilot are a warning flag

Firstly, you need to be getting more than two quotes, you are looking at a semi-huge and very long term investment, if you stick where you are living then you are talking 15-25 years, it's not like getting a car on PCP that you keep for 3 years, then hand it back, once you've got them you are stuck with them unless you want to spend more money doing it all over again.

Research, research some more and then when you think you are done, do some more research. Find out the orientation of your property and roof angles, which sides of your roof you can have solar on, is there any shading, do you need optimisers or not. Then investigate what your annual electricity usage is, and what it might grow to if you get a BEV or if you have one already how you can make best use of the generation, then think about electric heating, from a heat pump etc. Look at the time of day you use most of the electricity, and then see if it can be shifted to make more use of the battery, especially in winter months with little sun, where you may be charging the battery on an off-peak tariff .

You cannot know enough, and jumping in with both feet might get you the system sooner, but you might end up with a sub-optimal and over priced system. Worry about the supplier and installer once you've learned about what you need, and then you'll know who is talking crap and who is genuine. You'll find that some installers want to push expensive solar edge gear with micro inverters, even if you are in a wide open area with no shading, then others will push Tesla Powerwall, and some will tell you that you need to only fit one side and keep it under 3.68kW so you don't need DNO G99 approval, so they don't have to wait, and they can get the money form you faster, when you might want 5kW+

I think that’s what I needed to hear Journey. I’ve had another quote from green glow which is in the 9k mark with a battery. But as you say, I need to add more evidence and run more numbers.

My tariff doesn’t end until December so plenty of time

Just had a quote for a 3kw system plus 5.2kw battery, inverter and night charging for £10.5k

Key questions are will 3kw fully charge the battery. Will battery have enough power to cover all electrical items in the evening/minimal pull from grid. Is it more cost effective to have dishwasher/washer running during economy rate between 12pm and 5am or during peak sun? Is it a realistic pay back period? Who are the good companies to go to for a quote?

Just had a quote for a 3kw system plus 5.2kw battery, inverter and night charging for £10.5k

Key questions are will 3kw fully charge the battery. Will battery have enough power to cover all electrical items in the evening/minimal pull from grid. Is it more cost effective to have dishwasher/washer running during economy rate between 12pm and 5am or during peak sun? Is it a realistic pay back period? Who are the good companies to go to for a quote?
Absolute rip off. Go elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom