Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

So going with Solar Powerful for mine, just waiting on paperwork to get things going now. Going for 16-18 panels (awaiting final quote whether they can fit the extra 2 on) 5kw inverter, 2x8.2kw batteries, only item that is a bit up in the air is whether these will be the current 2.4kwh inverter type or the soon to be released 4kwh which the supplier isa saying were due in February end of last year but at the moment they've got nothing to say they're due anytime soon. Will find out more when the DNO is approved.

So going with Solar Powerful for mine, just waiting on paperwork to get things going now. Going for 16-18 panels (awaiting final quote whether they can fit the extra 2 on) 5kw inverter, 2x8.2kw batteries, only item that is a bit up in the air is whether these will be the current 2.4kwh inverter type or the soon to be released 4kwh which the supplier isa saying were due in February end of last year but at the moment they've got nothing to say they're due anytime soon. Will find out more when the DNO is approved.

How many KWH will that produce per year in your estimates? And do you mind me asking how much it'll cost?

They reckon 6000kwh but I think that's quite Conservative as I have a 3deg from South facing roof and I'm right on the south coast. @Journey reckons could be closer to 7000. About 11.7k initial estimate. Awaiting final formal quote.

I have been trying to work out how to take advantage of battery storage to the max.

Ultimately, no matter how I juggle it, the *best* I can get is a 15 year ROI.

Dont get me wrong the £465.13 a year saving is nice on paper, but the 7k cost for a 21kwh battery system is yikes.

Made worse that no providers are listing tariff rates at the moment, so not even sure what the current "going rate" for E7 nighttime is going to be.

*Edit*

Can actually get it down to 13 years if I go for a 35kwh system at 10k install cost which would basically mean im running off nighttime power rates only.

Last edited:
I installed my battery last year. At the same time I got an EV and switched to Octopus Go. I'm fixed till november 2022 and I'm going to save over £3k this year. That was based on fuel being £1.50L. Local to me there are stations seelling at £1.75 so i'm saving even more.

If Go gets more expensive in November, it will only be because everythng else is more expensive so i'm confident of those savings continuing. I'll be paid back within 3 years.

I have been trying to work out how to take advantage of battery storage to the max.

Ultimately, no matter how I juggle it, the *best* I can get is a 15 year ROI.

Dont get me wrong the £465.13 a year saving is nice on paper, but the 7k cost for a 21kwh battery system is yikes.

Made worse that no providers are listing tariff rates at the moment, so not even sure what the current "going rate" for E7 nighttime is going to be.

*Edit*

Can actually get it down to 13 years if I go for a 35kwh system at 10k install cost which would basically mean im running off nighttime power rates only.

35kwh? What's your average daily usage? Would you manage to fully charge that amount within the nighttime rate window or will you need to use multiple charge controllers?

Seriosuly considering this given the current energey prices. I already have solar rated to about 2KW but actual generation varies.

Thinking of some batteries to help drive costs down. Main issue is I think most of the solar gets used up in the day with people WFH. My PC, etc.

Do people charge the batteries at night using the cheaper grid power and use the batteries + solar during the day?

Yes. Over the winter the majority of my battery charging has been overnight. However when it's sunny they battery (tesla powerwall2) wont charge as it knows the next day will generate far more than is needed. Over the summer I expect grid charging to be minimal.

I could do with some help sanity checking my generation numbers as shown below.

This is based in the south (Hampshire) with a south-east facing roof with an approx. pitch of 45 degrees:

generated.png

Do the figures look reasonable? Too high maybe?

I am hoping panels would keep costs down month to month, which in turn frees up cash for other options, losing a chunk in one go in the process of course.

I am still not really totally sold on battery storage, especially where I think I can use a lot of what I generate day to day, and on the hottest/sunniest days I can turn the extra generation into cooling from my AC.

I think panels installed for £5K or so may be easier to stomach, will have to see if I can to get that kind of level. Extra £4K on a battery would be in theory let me use almost 100% of the energy I generate, but I think even without that I'd be at something like 70% based on constant background draw.

Have you had any quotes?

I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as you, I'm guessing you can go crazy on an all out system, sure save a lot of money, but that's a massive investment.

Vs going for something as you say, maybe a £5k system, that of course will still save you money and pay itself in time.

Back
Top Bottom