Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

It has no hub just the ct to measure export so it turns on. If I had facility to use the app I would try it out. I can order another coil and put it in myself but I think you need the havi/car hub to visibly monitor?

I think you're right. They installed mine with the harvi hub so assumed it was needed. But now you mention in the CT clamp is probably all that's needed.

That's the serial for me? I need the reg code too!
are you sure your eddi has built in wifi/ethernet? How may antenna does it have sticking out of the top and where are they placed. I might be wrong but if it's 1 and its in the middle is the old one without built in ethernet/wifi, if there are 2 then it's the new model.

Last edited:
OK

I thought I d post a follow up to my saga trying to get panels installed. It is a jungle out there.
The last installer was adamant my roof can only take 9 panels, others said 10, one said 11. They come and measure for hours and in the end they don't seem to have a clue.
So I thought I d take things in my hands, maybe this post will be useful to others.

First I accurately measured the external dimensions of my house taking into account the projection of the roof out of the walls.
Then I measured the angle of my roof going in the attic

6OLJlV4.jpg

Then I calculated the dimensions of the actual roof, there are easy calculators on the net.

VeEYeve.jpg

But then I decided to take it all the way and drew the whole roof on CAD. Well, it seems I can actually get 13 panels in the main roof SE and another 4 in the smaller SW. There will be no shade.

J4j2mwX.jpg

WKW2nzf.jpg

I have no idea how panels are installed but I should not be that far off.
17 south panels is not the same as the last quote (9 facing south and another 9 facing North.)
I really would expect that paying north of £14k, this work would be done by the installer.

I do have another quote coming up (many thanks to the forum member recommending his installer), lets hope it will be a sensible one.

Could I please ask a question on inverters.
If the panels are lets say 7KW, does it matter how large the inverter is?
I am told that even with 7KW panels diverting full power to an EV charger, a G98 3.6 inverter is fully capable of handling this energy and diverting it as needed.
Is this true?

You'll have to be careful going too near the edges of the roof, my installer wanted minimum of 30cm clear on the edges, and ideally 40-50cm. You may need to lose the left most vertical panel to gain a little more edge distance on the right.

They fit them onto rail kits that go into the rafters, so you'll also need to bear that in mind, it's most likely easier to install panels next to eachother on the same axis, though there seems to be no issue installing them with say a row that are vertical, and a row beneath that are horizontal.

Also your roof and chimney stack could at times shade your own panels, you may find some clever use of optimisers where you get the most shading potential is worth it.

Last edited:
Could I please ask a question on inverters.
If the panels are lets say 7KW, does it matter how large the inverter is?
I am told that even with 7KW panels diverting full power to an EV charger, a G98 3.6 inverter is fully capable of handling this energy and diverting it as needed.
Is this true?
Nope!

A 3.6 inverter is unsurprisingly able to handle 3.6kw, so energy above this will be 'clipped' - ie lost...

You'll have to be careful going too near the edges of the roof, my installer wanted minimum of 30cm clear on the edges, and ideally 40-50cm. You may need to lose the left most vertical panel to gain a little more edge distance on the right.

They fit them onto rail kits that go into the rafters, so you'll also need to bear that in mind, it's most likely easier to install panels next to eachother on the same axis, though there seems to be no issue installing them with say a row that are vertical, and a row beneath that are horizontal.

Also your roof and chimney stack could at times shade your own panels, you may find some clever use of optimisers where you get the most shading potential is worth it.
Yes, this is possible, I could fit another 3 panels in my garage roof but then again even 16 panels are not to bad. Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom