Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Think you have nailed it for me in this one - Used only in the depth of winter when its charged at cheap rate and possibly offset by really low dependence on the grid in peak summer. I'm fortunately in a position where ROI is clearly important but not a high priority and I guess if its not stressed by deep cycles will last well after the 10yr expected performance?

The ROI isn't an issue as such for me either, but I am adding solar and batteries to save money.

I just dug up the projection again.
Based on my projected usage of roughly 7500 kwh with my 5.4kw system and 11.6 (10.5 usable) battery I only expect to use around 840 peak rate units because of go.
With your numbers it would be even lower.

I am assuming you move to go here of course. The calcs could be very different without that tariff.

The problem is there are a lot of variables and you cant control most of them.

Peak/offpeak tariff availability and relative cost vs normal tariffs
Normal unit pricing, being the most significant ones.

My annual peak units would cost me £336 if I buy them peak, being able to charge them as off peak would cost £63. Thats basically the annual saving from a third battery for me.
In fact its slightly less since mine would fall just short of moving every unit to offpeak charge in Dec and Jan.

There is more to go wrong than just the degradation on the batteries.

Hope that helps a bit.

As someone who knows very little about solar panels (I'd actually appreciate any links if anyone suggests some reading) an advert appeared on my Facebook the other day for World of Solar.

solar.png

How suitable is this system and how well priced is it? I have a 4 bed house with a 1 year old. House is unoccupied all day so, I assume, the battery would charge whilst we are out? How much kWh do people tend to use per day/night?

Cheers

As someone who knows very little about solar panels (I'd actually appreciate any links if anyone suggests some reading) an advert appeared on my Facebook the other day for World of Solar.

solar.png

How suitable is this system and how well priced is it? I have a 4 bed house with a 1 year old. House is unoccupied all day so, I assume, the battery would charge whilst we are out? How much kWh do people tend to use per day/night?

Cheers

Thats a little expensive, but right now getting a sensible quote is somewhat luck

You need to give an idea of annual usage and roof direction to get an idea if that suitable

Assuming no shading then a system like that would likely make you pretty grid independent for approx 1/3 of the year, maybe closer to 50%
With upto 8 months being good for days
Come Nov-Feb though like most of the UK you would be generating little

Your probably right on the cusp of it not making sense however with current pricing.
If you want to do it for environmental issues sure, but if its financial its either going to cost you in the long run or save you very little.

Eg if you take £1100 and divide by 34pence then you would get 3200 units a year. 10 years is a reasonable lifetime before you start expecting to replace bits on a system. (mainly inverter)

You would probably need to be in your forever home really at that usage level.
An Ev though would change that completely.

The ROI isn't an issue as such for me either, but I am adding solar and batteries to save money.

I just dug up the projection again.
Based on my projected usage of roughly 7500 kwh with my 5.4kw system and 11.6 (10.5 usable) battery I only expect to use around 840 peak rate units because of go.
With your numbers it would be even lower.

I am assuming you move to go here of course. The calcs could be very different without that tariff.

The problem is there are a lot of variables and you cant control most of them.

Peak/offpeak tariff availability and relative cost vs normal tariffs
Normal unit pricing, being the most significant ones.

My annual peak units would cost me £336 if I buy them peak, being able to charge them as off peak would cost £63. Thats basically the annual saving from a third battery for me.
In fact its slightly less since mine would fall just short of moving every unit to offpeak charge in Dec and Jan.

There is more to go wrong than just the degradation on the batteries.

Hope that helps a bit.
No this is all great data and why I follow this thread .. real world data which is what really counts and not sales blurb.

Assuming no shading then a system like that would likely make you pretty grid independent for approx 1/3 of the year, maybe closer to 50%
With upto 8 months being good for days
Come Nov-Feb though like most of the UK you would be generating little

Your probably right on the cusp of it not making sense however with current pricing.
If you want to do it for environmental issues sure, but if its financial its either going to cost you in the long run or save you very little.

Eg if you take £1100 and divide by 34pence then you would get 3200 units a year. 10 years is a reasonable lifetime before you start expecting to replace bits on a system. (mainly inverter)

You would probably need to be in your forever home really at that usage level.
An Ev though would change that completely.

Thanks for the indepth reply - we don't currently have an EV, nor have plans to change the cars currently. Can't see us moving though in the current climate.

I keep hoping for some solar incentive from the government - not likely I guess :D

Generation slowly dropping off, but still a good month in OCtober which up until my wifes car turned up was satisfying 95% of usage, despite the shaded panels losing me maybe 5-6kwh on a good day.

Generation for the month 371kwh, exported 30 of these at the beginning of the month when it was lovely sunshine with no shading, imported 225 units total (pretty much all used by the car), so reckon for 6 months a year the car usage should be covered as well and reduce my export.

Indeed, I'm still on my fixed rate through until next October, so my usage is still pretty cheap compared to some, and now with the current weather i've just gone back to my pre solar days of putting stuff on as and when needed rather than specific times. Flexibility is great :D

Back
Top Bottom