Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Where abouts are you based? I suppose it also depends on your system and your orientation.

I'm lucky that I got nearly double yours in that same time span but I guess that's the advantage of being 20 miles from the south coast.
Mid Wales 5 miles from the coast, 3.5kw solar. it's been raining a lot last 5 days. (South facing array no shading issues)

Last edited:
Mid Wales 5 miles from the coast, 3.5kw solar. it's been raining a lot last 5 days.

Ah well that explains it have double the system hence double the generation. Sounds like your system is doing you proud! Hope you're enjoying it :)

Yeah we've had a bad start to November it's been peeing down for the whole week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-220238.png
    Screenshot_20221102-220238.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 8
Yeah its been bad weather here. Today was a monsoon for half the day. Low sun and shorter days can even see difference compared to September was quite a lot.

Come 22nd Dec the days will be getting longer and sun will be getting higher! :D I'm ever the glass half full type! ;)

It's only really Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb that struggle I think.

Last edited:
Yes a cloud sucker near Kent would be only fair after having the best of the weather this year.

Weather had been really good here all summer in mid Wales, June was a bit iffy, rest was spot on.
Just the heat wave around the 20th of July killed off my inverter after just under 9 and a half years, 3 months to replace= 3 good months production lost (800+KW lost)
Just could not get the correct inverter, such a wind up.

Last month we generated 402kWh and exported only 73kWh which were still not being paid for and missed out on a massive £2.99

Not sure I like the kw per panel as that works out at 33.5kWh for each one!

412 in October for me, reasonably pleased with that overall.
Also, now signed up to Octopus's Eco 7 tariff (should have done it a while back, but somehow thought the overnight price was far higher than it actually is, wondering if I accidentally saw the business rate or something), so just waiting for that to become active and can then work on trying to get the battery to charge to an appropriate level each night. Going to have a go at automating it using the Solcast forecast, so will see how that goes...

More or less may as well just leave it at 100% to charge for now, adjusting it will be more important when generation kicks back in with greater numbers which won't be until around March next year probably.

412 in October for me, reasonably pleased with that overall.
Also, now signed up to Octopus's Eco 7 tariff (should have done it a while back, but somehow thought the overnight price was far higher than it actually is, wondering if I accidentally saw the business rate or something), so just waiting for that to become active and can then work on trying to get the battery to charge to an appropriate level each night. Going to have a go at automating it using the Solcast forecast, so will see how that goes...
The night rate was 23p. Quite bizarrely, it went down quite a lot in the October 'price increase'.

I'm thinking I might put the heated floors on for an hour before the night rate turns off. Warm the house a bit using the lower unit cost energy before we start burning gas.

Last edited:
Eugh, just checked this. The damn 7 hour period changes throughout the year.

I just naturally assumed it was 00:00 till 07:00. So, currently it's 0:30 to 7:30. During summer it was 01:30 to 8:30. I expect I've been paying a few months of the day rate for the first hour of charging before the clocks went back.

Back
Top Bottom